LegacyGT.com

Know this before purchasing 07 LGT/SpecB

Wish I knew this before I purchased my LGT on Saturday so I'm posting this info here (from a discussion already going on the Wheels/Tires forum) to make sure buyers are knowledgable before purchase.

I just got off the phone with SOA - There is no way for users to set/reset the Tire Pressure Monitoring Module (TPMS).

Any tire rotations will require Subaru dealers to reset the TPMS. Any new wheels will require the purchase of new TPMS valves (my dealer quoted $92 each) which means if you wanted to get snow or summer wheels you need to still bring them in to the dealership and pay $$ for TPMS reset every time you swap back and forth.

SOA confirmed there is no way to disable TPMS dash light and that tire rotations WILL require TPMS resets by the dealerships.

SOA gave me the TPMS will be required by law by 2009 story - which I told them is true but not allowing a user reset and forcing us to pay dealerships every time a tire rotation is done is just poor design by Subaru. I mentioned that every aftermarket system I've seen allows for user reset and multiple sets of tire valves as well as other OEM systems allowing end user resets. They said they all they could do is "LOG" my complaint into the "system". Wish I was an attorney - has to be some sort of consumer protection regarding this.

SOA said it's up to the dealers if and what they will $$ charge to reset the TPMS - but obviously they have to charge for their techs time to hook up obd and reset codes. They also said gold warranty only covers defective tpms...not code resets. I'm sure when I ask my stealership how much I will be charged to reset the TPMS I will be even more aggravated.

Anyone with an 07 GT or SpecB should call SOA and at least get their complaint registered. Probably won't help us 07's but maybe they will fix it for the 08's.

I think anyone considering purchasing a Legacy GT/Spec B should be aware of this. Sorry to have posted this both here and in the Wheels forum but with Caveat Emptor I want others to know this before purchasing 07 models.

Guess the best I can do / afford now is to get UHP A/S tires and be $$ ripped off at my dealership everytime I rotate them.

Let the consumer make an informed decision - wish someone had told me.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Federal Rules do not allow for the disablement of the system. Older systems before the new rule was in effect didn't have this restriction, but get used to it, all cars in MY08 will have this.

I suspect this will change when the aftermarket wheel industry weighs in on the situtation.

disconnect battery, pump brakes

resets everything (me thinks)

oh...

i would like to add that dealerships wont let you test drive the spec b, maybe i should start a thread on the matter

You sure its not just You + Your dealer? ;)

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

rotation of the tires does not affect the sensors. once the sensors are "awoken"---basically turned on by the computer----the only reason the system needs to be reset is when a sensor is replaced. they can be very fragile, they're made of aluminum and are not very sturdy. the main isssue with breakage is due to tire techs breaking the tire bead by the sensor---and BAM----broken sensor.....

i managed an independent cooper tire shop and we spent $350. on the sensor tool used to wake them up......or you can use the poor man's sensor tool which consists of a big magnet and nothing else.....simply turn the key to the on position and put the magnet on the TIRE near the valve stem and when the horn beeps, sensor is reset........easy....

i'm not discounting what SOA told you, but i doubt they've changed many tires, so don't sweat it....and if you ever do get a set of aftermarket wheels, you can transfer the sensors to the new wheels, just use the magnet to turn them on....no prob.......

Thanks for sharing. I'll have to keep this in mind as I upgrade wheels. The thing that bugs me is the TPMS warning light goes off everymorning when it's like 60 degrees. If I lived in snowy conditions, would this light be on all the time? I've gone to the dealer and there is nothing they can do. Seems like the TPMS addition this year still has some kinks to work out.

VW has the same thing with their system. My dad has an 04 Tourage with tpms and when he got new tires put on, they didn't get the wheels on the same hub and the tpms, or what ever they call it, kept going off. They charged him $150 to reset the system. He was in and out in 5 minutes. What a rip off.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

...or you can use the poor man's sensor tool which consists of a big magnet and nothing else.....simply turn the key to the on position and put the magnet on the TIRE near the valve stem and when the horn beeps, sensor is reset........easy...

It's that easy?

It's that easy?

Yes...you don't need to use the Subaru Select monitor at all. Swipe the magnet on each tire in order and the TPMS will recognize each sensor. I don't think it honks the horn, I thing it blinks the parking lights on the Subaru system.

Yes...you don't need to use the Subaru Select monitor at all. Swipe the magnet on each tire in order and the TPMS will recognize each sensor. I don't think it honks the horn, I thing it blinks the parking lights on the Subaru system.

Awesome! Thanks for the info!

One final question: how big should the magnet be?

Archived