LegacyGT.com

08 legacy gt throwout/tsk?

Yucky08GT

OK everyone I need a little help here. The throwout bearing in my 2008 Legacy GT Limited went out last week. I took the tranny out of the car and the snout is thoroughly thrashed. I know the only solution other than a new tranny is the TSK3, I just wanted to post a couple photos here and see if you all thought this thing was too far gone for that repair.

uploadfromtaptalk1414347856774.thumb.jpg.58c904d90afe5e1629d3b4d342554c5f.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1414347883780.thumb.jpg.3532c19537a67237c0ba0406ac538833.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1414347908934.thumb.jpg.1cf2076bde5f729efcfc7ba40542a4a6.jpg

I'm not familiar enough with the tsk3 and tob operation to say for sure myself, but after reading the thread below and some others, I think there is hope. It sounds like the tsk3 kit only needs a small amount of snout to work, enough for the set screw at the very end to bite into. Hopefully someone else will chime in with a definitive answer, but like I said it looks like it could work.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/throw-out-bearing-failure-156181.html?p=3286057

*One more quick note. In the thread below, the OP mentions contacting the company that makes the TSK3 kit and asking them if there was enough snout material left to use the TSK3 kit (see posts #16-20). You could try showing them your pictures and seeing what they say.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/clutch-transmission-issue-bad-noises-190810.html

company that makes the TSK kit

http://pdmusa1.com/contact-us.aspx

tsk3.jpg.fcf136dd73bbe39b680e5679b9c9226f.jpg

Yeah it's pretty ugly. I pulled the pressure plate and disc last night, there's chunks of the snout, pieces of throwout bearing and shavings everywhere. The solution I went with for the clutch replacement was fjk1001 from Exedy with the ff502 flywheel. I'm going on vacation Friday for ten days and won't be fixing this until after I get home but I'll keep updating this thread as I make progress. The clutch itself didn't look that bad, it hadn't been slipping and there's a fair amount of friction material left and no glazing, bluing or cracking on the pressure plate or the flywheel. Doing the full meal deal replacement is more of an ounce of prevention, pound of cure sort of thing. Just makes sense to do it when it's torn down this far anyway.

Yes, makes sense to replace the clutch at this time.

You can have the FW turned, that will give the new disc the best chance for a long life.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You're talking about turning the new flywheel before I even install it right? Or are you referring to reusing the stock flywheel? I kept getting conflicting info as to whether my car had a single or dual mass stock flywheel, Exedy said it was dual mass but I saw a lot of other places that said single mass was used from 07 on. Either way I figured the FF502 lightweight wasn't a bad idea so I just went for it. I've got end email in to pdm to make sure the tsk3 is going to work for me as well, I'm pretty sure it will but I want to check before I order it.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, I see a new tranny in your very near future. That snout is waaaayyy too far gone to even use the TSK kit to fix that carnage. The TSK is just a steel sleeve for the tob to run on instead of running on the aluminum snout. You're gonna need a new tranny or bell housing section of the case. Half the snout is gone and IMO not repairable.

The only real issue I had before the throwout bearing failed was when I had the clutch pushed in the bearing howled pretty loudly. The snout should be fine, I emailed the company and talked to Joel about it, I sent him the pictures and he said it will work perfectly. Apparently the kit only needs 3/4 of an inch of snout in order to work, he said they've saved hundreds of cases this way.

I appreciate your candid response. I've never run up against an automotive issue I couldn't fix so I'll let you all know how awesome it works when I'm done. Also I'll share any additional work I may or may not have to do to make the TSK work with my ruined snout.

You'll be super lucky if you can get the slide fit on the snot. More than likely, it's going to fail, because of how much metal is missing from the snot already. IMO, I wouldn't trust it and just buy a new bell housing. That snot is just way past the point of repair.
My wife's balls are delicious.

As I understand it after all these years, the TSK snout kit only works if your snout is damaged.

Buying the kit for a good snout does nothing.

The TOB ID is the same size on the TSK3 kit as on the stock snout.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The TSK TOB is slight larger compared to OEM, since it has to slide over the sleeve. An OEM will not fit over the sleeve. Therefore, the TSK will fit on the stock snot, not sure why would you do that though.
My wife's balls are delicious.

The TSK is meant to prevent the scoring and damage to the snout just as much as it is meant to repair it. Any time you have the transmission out it is a good idea to install this kit as a preventive measure. The stock aluminum snout is very soft and easily scores and causes TOB problems, the TSK is much harder machined stainless steel and will not wear like the aluminum does. I've seen pictures of other transmissions with more of the snout gone than mine, and the kit worked for them. Like I said I emailed my pics to Joel with PDM USA and he said it would work just fine so we'll see. I'm ordering the kit soon so when I get home from Maui I can start putting everything back together.

As others had mentioned, you'll need to check with PDM to see what their recommendation is going forward. msprank has a picture somewhere of one that looks worse than, or at least as bad as, yours, and the TSK3 worked fine once they got the bits cleaned up. So it may be salvageable with a TSK3 repair.

OTOH, if it's is too damaged to "fix" with the TSK3, you'll have to source both transmission halves and donor your gearset and internals into it. The 5MT doesn't have a front case like the Spec B and STI transmission do.

However it works out, good luck.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

As I understand it after all these years, the TSK snout kit only works if your snout is damaged.

Buying the kit for a good snout does nothing.

The TOB ID is the same size on the TSK3 kit as on the stock snout.

I used it as a preventative measure to ensure the structural integrity of the snout in case of premature (or catastrophic) failure of the TOB. Many have chosen to go this route.

And negs mate, the TSK3 TOB is oversized because it has to go around the TSK Quill which is larger than the trans snout.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived