LegacyGT.com

Poll: Potential Fuel Economy Changes for LGT

Fuel Efficient LGT?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Fuel Efficient LGT?

• Scrap the turbo altogether and make the LGT a sporty looking 2.5i li.
    • Add a very tall (0.50:1.0) 6th gear?
    • Change the gearing all around to be taller, final drive and/or gearing in the transmission itself.
    • Make some version of the JDM 2.0 turbo the USDM LGT engine.

Fuel Economy seems to be such a hot topic here I though I’d play around with a poll of some possibilities for future LGT’s. All of these options are just creations of my own and not based on any REAL information. But what if SOA decided that they needed to make the LGT more fuel efficient, should they:

Choice #5 - offer a couple different engine management pre-set programs... economy, normal, race.

Set it to economy and turn the boost way down or off for long trips

Normal is normal

Race means turning the boost up a bit for max performance

Choice #5 - offer a couple different engine management pre-set programs... economy, normal, race.

Set it to economy and turn the boost way down or off for long trips

Normal is normal

Race means turning the boost up a bit for max performance

That's a good one. Also, some of these items could be combined.

If your going to suck the fun out of the LGT to get more MPG then why bother with a LGT? Just get new Civic.

I think Direct Injection is a cool new technology that Audi and Mazda are using with their gas turbo motors. More HP and more MPG.

If your going to suck the fun out of the LGT to get more MPG then why bother with a LGT? Just get new Civic.

Something wrong with having the option available at the push of a button? I think not. Why wouldn't you want the option? If you want to travel 500 miles on boost unnecessarily burning gas, then that's your choice. I'd rather cut the boost off while on the highway and save myself at the pump. I definitely want the option to crank up the boost too... weekend cruises would be so much more fun :icon_bigg

I’m not looking for an accord or a camry. Nor am I complaining about mileage.

I wouldn’t trade my OBXT for anything. But then again I wanted the speed and power and was willing to sacrifice economy for that. Plus, I can afford the extra $20 to $40 a month. If I couldn’t, I shouldn’t be driving a $28K vehicle.

The LGT/OBXT are clearly the power/performance leaders in the market right now. It is possible that Subaru, if they feel that gas consumption is an issue, can make a variety of changes to improve fuel economy at the expense of economy.

That is with the exception of the tall 6th gear.

FWIW, the a4 is heavier than the LGT and is rated at 22/31 with the 6MT. Of course, its about 1.5 to 2 seconds slower to 60.

Also, the NA 2.5i gets 28MPG highway.

i agree that some of th MPG problem is the AWD, as a point of reference the Saab 9.5 aero wagon is claiming 20/30 but it's front wheel drive. Same 250HP with a turbo though.

I like the idea of having the boost control.

The AWD doesn't help, but, the Saab has taller gearing, 4.05 final drive and 0.66 5th gear vs. the LGT's 0.74 5th and 4.11 final. Simply put, the LGT revs higher on the highway than the Saab. And the a4 which is also AWD and weighs more but has the tall 6th gear.

But, the LGT blows the doors off of both.

Hey, I'm at 23.7 mpg w/ Stage 2 93. I don't drive WOT all the time, but don't baby it either. To have a car with the practicality (AWD wagon) and performance this car provides AND get almost 24 mpg...what more could one ask for.

I think the car simply needs a new gear for the highway. I dont like the fact I have to keep the car at 65-70 in order to get the good mileage. Most cars today have a good 5th or 6th gear so people can get the good highway mileage. Subaru should adress this...

Don't get me wrong, I like the fact I can tap the gas and take two and three cars out on the highway effortlessly. But mileage suffers from the limited gearing, high revs on the highway.

I think the car simply needs a new gear for the highway. I dont like the fact I have to keep the car at 65-70 in order to get the good mileage. Most cars today have a good 5th or 6th gear so people can get the good highway mileage. Subaru should adress this...

Don't get me wrong, I like the fact I can tap the gas and take two and three cars out on the highway effortlessly. But mileage suffers from the limited gearing, high revs on the highway.

+1 It would be a win/win/win deal.

* Keep the existing 5th gear for those who like things as they are.

* Add a 6th gear for those who would like the benifits of 0.50 OD

less wear on the driveline and improved mileage.

* The 6th gear would match what most maufactures are installing

in there upscale cars.

Everyone is happy:)

+1 It would be a win/win/win deal.

* Keep the existing 5th gear for those who like things as they are.

* Add a 6th gear for those who would like the benifits of 0.50 OD

less wear on the driveline and improved mileage.

* The 6th gear would match what most maufactures are installing

in there upscale cars.

Everyone is happy:)

And the fact that Subaru's 6-speed (even if it didn't have the front LSD and DCCD) is better than their 5-speed.

They could also look into doing a lean burn cruise. Some people have been playing around with this on WRXs and STis and it seems to help a bit.

I’m not looking for an accord or a camry. Nor am I complaining about mileage.

I wouldn’t trade my OBXT for anything. But then again I wanted the speed and power and was willing to sacrifice economy for that. Plus, I can afford the extra $20 to $40 a month. If I couldn’t, I shouldn’t be driving a $28K vehicle.

The LGT/OBXT are clearly the power/performance leaders in the market right now. It is possible that Subaru, if they feel that gas consumption is an issue, can make a variety of changes to improve fuel economy at the expense of economy.

That is with the exception of the tall 6th gear.

FWIW, the a4 is heavier than the LGT and is rated at 22/31 with the 6MT. Of course, its about 1.5 to 2 seconds slower to 60.

Also, the NA 2.5i gets 28MPG highway.

Check some other threads. the NA 2.5i gets better than 30 on the highway. I'm getting close to 34MPG.

Personally I voted for the JDM Swapout as yr not always going to get to 6th gear when yr in daily driving and if u do get to 6th, how long are you going to be there? Not long I would have it at a guess.

Ada///M.

PS the 2.0L JDM here in Oz has just been swapped out for the new 2.5L so we are coming to yr World.

And I would vote for a very tall 6th gear with engine management like the M3. I guess Cobb should really make this Accessport which everyone talks about ...a cordless deal. You have a little transmitter which you may mount somewhere...and hit 1 of 5 pre-set maps-buttons...Econo, S1, S2, Stock, Valet.

By the way - to the thread author - I am getting 30.9 mpg (computer read-out ---> 30 real mpg) by just using cruise control at 70 mph...and in the city (assuming moderate traffic - say week-ends as opposed to driving to/from work every day) I can run all day at 23-24 mpg if I just drive the Legacy pretending that is a 150 HP car...instead of a 250 HP.

My best advice...these cars are thirsty...but change your driving style if you want performance and economy. And if you find Accessport worth it...you may convince me to buy one...

I think a 6th gear would be great, but even with the gas mileage where it is (21 MPG for me) I still wouldnt trade this car. I did the research before I bought it, I knew the MPG wasnt the best, but I took it on a 2 mile test drive and knew that it was worth the penalty. Its worth the 10 cents its cost me to put my foot down and blow by some stuck up tool in an Audi.

Archived