LegacyGT.com

What exactly does the 'L7' indicate?

I've heard two versions of this:

"L" means Legacy and "7" means the 7 stars in the Pleiades constellation (Subaru = Pleiades in Japanese).

"L" means Legacy and "7" is an upside-down "L", like a reflection.

The Pleiades isn't a constellation, it is an open star cluster sometimes associated with the constellation Taurus. Check it out through binocs, you'll see dozens of stars as part of this cluster. Just FYI

I dont know for sure but this is a quote from the Subaru website:

-

The first president of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), Kenji Kita, had some definite opinions on the subject of automobiles. "If you're going to build a car, build a full-fledged car." "Japanese cars should have Japanese names." Mr. Kita was ardent about producing passenger cars and was the most passionate of all about the 1954 prototype of the Company's first passenger car, the P-1.

Mr. Kita canvassed the Company for suggestions about naming the P-1, but none of the proposals were appealing. In the end, Mr. Kita gave the car a beautiful Japanese name that he had been quietly cherishing in his heart --- Subaru.

Subaru is the name of a star cluster in the Taurus constellation. Six of its stars are visible to the naked eye, but about 250 bluish stars can be seen if one uses a telescope.

In the West the cluster is called Pleiades, in China, Mao, and in Japan, Subaru ("to govern" or gather together"). In Japan, it also goes by the name Mutsuraboshi ("Six Stars"), under which title it appears frequently in very old Japanese documents such as Kojiki and Manyosyu and literature such as Makura-no-soshi. Clearly, this is one of the clusters much loved by the Japanese from ancient times. Interestingly enough, FHI was created by the merger of six companies, so you can see what a truly evocative name Subaru is.

What I could never understand is that if Subaru is Japanese for Pleiades, which means Seven Sisters,then why are there only six stars in the Subaru's logo? :)

IIRC, there are about seven stars in the Pleiades cluster that are brighter than the rest (to the naked eye).

Just something I wonder about...

Its a culture thing. Only 6 stars are seen/considered as Subaru. Well now they say its 7 but it used to be 6. And Subaru was the name imported from Chinese astrology, it doesn't mean jack.

japanparts.com (who sells the actual badge) says it is two Ls. One right side up and one upside down. I'm buying that version of the explanation.

+1 That makes a whole lot more sense than all the Galileos out there talking about stars & sh!t.

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

L7 = Lucky 7.....not funny but I can sure use luck with my car :)

^ This is a pretty good analogy. :)

What I could never understand is that if Subaru is Japanese for Pleiades, which means Seven Sisters,then why are there only six stars in the Subaru's logo? :)

IIRC, there are about seven stars in the Pleiades cluster that are brighter than the rest (to the naked eye).

Just something I wonder about...

^ I remember there was some discussion awhile back that maybe there were a total of 7 stars on the Subaru emblem...maybe 7 stars didn't look right or the 7th star turned out to be a speckle on the emblem. :iam:

http://www.subaru-global.com under the history tab,or the corporate. I forget which but it explains what all the star clusters and all the cool and strange rides Subaru builds/built. From the P1 on. I visit the sight from time to time. Explains lots of cool stuff about our Subaru cars past and present and how allot of the stuff works like AWD etc.

Way cool site for Subaru fans, and soon to be Subaru fans. Check it out if haven't already.

For your car audio/video needs:D

Audio Crafters IS it.

In Pasadena Ca. Arthur rules.

www.audio-crafters.com

Archived