LegacyGT.com

How to: Update your OEM Nav to the newest maps.

ERLoft

Okay, first off, I'm not going to explain how to get yourself an ISO of the latest maps. If you don't know how, sorry.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way for the 1%, I've tested and found that yes, you CAN use Toyota/Lexus Gen4 GPS data discs in the OEM Subaru Nav system.

I believe the most recent is the v13.1, which were released in October 2013. BitTorrent is your friend in getting these. A search on an appropriate website of "Toyota-Lexus Gen4 v13.1 Navigation DVD - NA - U28" should get you to the correct one. You want to make sure that it's for a Gen4 system and that the description says it's for a bunch of Toyota and Lexus vehicles in the 2004-2007 model years.

Once you have the ISO file, you'll need to burn it to a disc. You'll need a DVD+R DL disc. I wasn't able to get a disc that the nav system liked using Astroburn Lite, however, with ImgBurn, I was able to use the option in the bottom right of the main window to 'Change Book Type', then in the LG tab, select DVD-ROM and burn away.

Simply boot up the nav in the car and once it's running, swap out for the newly burned disc. On a side note, it appears that more data fits in a smaller space now, as there's only 1 disc needed for all of North America instead of the two discs needed originally.

No more being unable to set a course for a new location! :)

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A couple of other notes on this:

1) You can also find these DVD's on EBay pretty easily. They're also selling for less than $50 if you'd rather not deal with getting an ISO image and creating your own DVD-ROM.

2) I had to run the Tire Calibration function for the maps to read correctly.

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
Quick note for anyone who uses these maps - if you disconnect the negative battery terminal, you'll need to insert your original Subaru disc on boot up. Once the nav has booted, you can then change back to your new map disc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That's correct. I checked the DVD's and there's a couple of files I presume have to do with the voice nav present on the Subaru disc that's not there for the Toyota disc. That's the reason why the Subaru version takes two discs - those voice files push it over the 8gb limit.

Now, if we could figure out how to swap out the DVD drive for a BluRay and have it still read properly, we could put the voice onto the Toyota disc and have both.

However, I never used the voice features in any case, so their loss wasn't a big deal to me...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 year later...

Archived