LegacyGT.com

MID A Dealer review

Bulletproof4age

Well, this has been briefly discussed in some general discussion threads, but I think its more relevant in the regional forums. Basically, it would be nice if you guys can share your dealer experiences. I'm personally more concerned with service/repair, but feel free to mention anything you think is relevant. We could list things like: Dealer/Shop name, what the problem was, resolution, Mod-friendliness, warranty battles, etc.

If this has already been covered somewhere I apologize. I did search and couldn't find much specifically regarding Mid Atlantic dealers.

Thanks.

Herb Gordon Subaru (Silver Spring, MD)

I just got my 06 LGT from them after a long fight because they damaged my transmission when I brought my car in for just a melted TOB. It all started when I brought my car in for a bad TOB and ended up with a damaged transmission. So, I bring the car in for the usual TOB. They said they'd fix it and they did, but when I get the car back, it won't go into 5th gear very easily and the transmission is making a horrid sound. I drive the car around the block and drop it right off. The next morning I take the car for a spin with the mechanic where he tells me he had to pry the TOB off with a crowbar and that he doesn't hear anything and 5th is working just fine. So I agree to take the car back. On the way home the car pulls hard when I try to brake. I raise all 4 wheels off the ground and start checking the car, I find a loose control arm bolt where it attaches to the sub-frame and a bent bracket near the shift which is blocking it from going into 5th. I take the car back the next day and ask them to put the car up on the lift. I then proceed to show them where the shifter is binding and the loose bolt. They fix those things and we take the car for another spin with the foreman. He hears the noise but said it's normal worn transmission noise even though it didn't do it when I was driving before the bearing went. I take the car back again and drop the car off at Beyer Subaru in Alexandia, near work. They ask me to come out into the shop because they want to show me something. The car is up in the air, one guy in the drivers seat, and 3 under the car. The head mechanic tells me that someone opened my transmission recently and that it's leaking oil. He tells the guy to go through all the gears. As the speed increases so does the sound of rattling in the trans. He said they opened it up and did something wrong. I get my car back and call SOA and file a complaint. I then take the car back to Herb Gordon and explain to them what Beyer said and give them Beyer's number as well as tell them that they have a complaint filed with SOA. I also remind them about how I had to trouble shoot why the car pulled to one side and wouldn't shift into 5th. They said they'd take care of me. I get a loaner and a week later my car is done. It runs great. I look at the invoice they gave me which said everything was done under warentee even though I had 73K on it. It gave me a list of about 10-15 part numbers, including parts in the rear nose of the transmission, the entire center differential, 3 bearings, and a bunch of seals. Although they corrected the problem, it was done because I complained to SOA, found a safety hazzard with the loose control are, and got another dealer to confirm that they were at fault. Had that bolt slipped out, I would have been told that it failed and I would have to pay for repairs. Had they spotted it the next time I brought it in, they would have tighened it and not said anything. Either way they would have made sure it wasn't their fault. They also couldn't tell me that they opened up my transmission and they'd correct the problem. Dishonesty is the fastest way to lose business and they have lost mine. I have no doubt they are capable of doing the work, but I don't have any more trust in them.

Beyer Subaru (Alexandria, VA)

These guys were awesome. During my little fiasco with Herb Gordon, they were extremely helpful and didn't charge me a dime to check my car out. They were willing to provide any info needed for my case and I like that they asked me to come out to the shop to show me exactly what was wrong with the car. I am planning on giving them my business while I continue to work in Alexandria.

The Good:

#1 Cochran Subaru, Monroeville Pa...

Mod friendly, replaced wheel bearing with obvious suspension mods. Knowledgeable & friendly, service manager returns phone calls (yeah, that's a step up from a lot of dealerships in my experience). They spoke with SOA regarding my claim (see NTK below), and were very helpful & reassuring...

The Bad:

Hamilton Subaru, Irwin Pa...

Not helpful, or friendly. Parts department was unwilling to answer questions, and staff was generally unpleasant, to me at least...

The Ugly:

New Team Kunkle Subaru, Delmont Pa...

Totally screwed up my 60k mile service. Didn't do coolant service at all, when I mentioned it to them, they did it improperly, which luckly I caught (opened hood right after service and coolant tank was bone dry, I fully refilled it, and it was empty within 1k miles, they clearly didn't burp it). Didn't replace the plugs at 60k miles, mentioned this to them, and since my car stumbles slightly at idle, likely a poor plug job. Barely noiceable tranny whine since they did my f&r diff service too, which I redid 10k miles later w/ ExtraS as a preventative measure... I do not trust them at all, end result was a claim with SOA for extra insurance... Parts department on the other hand is friendly, and knowledgeable in my experience...

Beyer Subaru (Alexandria, VA)

These guys were awesome. During my little fiasco with Herb Gordon, they were extremely helpful and didn't charge me a dime to check my car out. They were willing to provide any info needed for my case and I like that they asked me to come out to the shop to show me exactly what was wrong with the car. I am planning on giving them my business while I continue to work in Alexandria.

Mike aka MKTOPSIDE on Nasioc is their advisor in case you need to get him.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Don't go:

Dulles Motorcars

Leesburg, Va.

service department sucks. haven't been in over 3 years but I've had nothing but bad experiences there.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Herb Gordon Subaru (Silver Spring, MD)

I bought my 02 WRX from them and it went well. I got a fair price considering they were still selling around sticker at the time.

I went in for an oil change once and had to wait 2 hours. Needless to say I will never again go there for service. The manager gave me his card and said to call him next time and he would "clear a lift" for me. No thanks, you suck!

Russell Subaru (Ellicott City, MD)

I wouldn't consider buying from them because their prices suck and they aren't willing to negotiate.

I had my 02 repaired in their collision center and it was fairly good service but the work they did was sloppy. I hit 2 deer and needed a hood, bumper, and fender. The seams all looked good but there was over spray in several places.

Their service dept is very bad. I have had a couple oil changes and one 30k services done there. The last oil change I got resulted in a leaking drain plug. The 30k service I had done was a disaster. They ended up charging me just under $1000!!! I asked them to change the plugs which wasn't needed but I felt it would be a little piece of mind. They told me what the plugs cost, then later they called and said they would like to do the fuel service for an additional $$. They gave me numbers and I said fine. But when I picked up the car the total was about $300 more than I was told over the phone. There were no managers around to discuss it so I had to pay to get my keys and go home. I even called and left the manager voice mail more than once and he never called me back. Too bad for them because I spend a lot at the dealer. I will never go back there again, ever.

Heritage Subaru (Owings Mills, MD)

I bought my GT wagon there. They gave me a good deal (it was model year end) and brought it down from a dealer in PA.

Service wise these guys have not screwed me over yet, so that's where I bring my car. Plus they are close to work and I can drop off on the way in and pick it up at the end of the day. Jimmy in the service dept is very straight forward and he has never thrown a curve ball at me or left me hanging.

Fitzgerald (Rockville/Kensington)

Ehh...wasn't too pleased. They wouldn't work on my car because I have a downpipe. I went in for a misfire and they said that SOA told them to reflash and perform no other work until the car was returned back to stock. When I got there I asked to talk to the mechanic so that I could get his no BS opinion. They knew the reflash did nothing for the problem so I wanted to know what he might think. Well, apparently they don't pay their mechanics to think, rather they just call the techline and SOA tells them what to do. He had no idea what was wrong and discounted the possibility it could be a coil pack or injector(which is what im pretty sure it is). He said bad gas, or maybe I didn't close my gas cap all the way...yeah right. Oh and my DP was causing backpressure problems because it doesn't have a cat....oh wait, it does.

They even accused me of removing the cat in the up-pipe. When I told them 07's don't have one there they didn't believe me. They had to call SOA. Way to know your product...

Cumberland Valley Motors (Subaru/VW/Dodge)

Mechanicsburg, PA

Been there on several occasions for service. Never had any real problems, they're family-owned and have a good reputation. However, NOT mod-friendly. I'd say a pretty bread-and-butter dealer experience for the average joe, with maybe better-than-average service.

I've recently made acquaintances with April Line, who answers a lot of online inquiries. SHE is very keen on the aftermarket and wants very badly to get CVM into the 21st century, however has met with opposition from management. Anyway, she's there, if that's encouraging to anyone. :p

Lancaster County Motors

Lancaster, PA

Went there once for a service check. Got treated really well and paid them a compliment via email to the service manager. He appreciated it greatly. Can't comment on mod-friendliness.

Annapolis Subaru

Annapolis, MD

What can I say? These guys are extremely popular on NASIOC. Very mod-friendly, and they host an annual meet. Jackie Whetzler in the Parts department is incredible. They sell at great prices, and have club discounts as well. A+ for Annapolis.

Annapolis Subaru

Annapolis, MD

What can I say? These guys are extremely popular on NASIOC. Very mod-friendly, and they host an annual meet. Jackie Whetzler in the Parts department is incredible. They sell at great prices, and have club discounts as well. A+ for Annapolis.

+1.

Great Vendor and dealer. They are 1 of the 3 dealerships that host Subaru meets in the area. I'd like to see more dealer's do this, but it does cost quite a bit to throw.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I had a so-so buying experience at Annapolis Subaru, though I believe the reason for it doesn't work there anymore. The sales manager did try to make things right after I sent in my satisfaction survey, and I've had good experience with their service dept., so I'd recommend 'em at this point.

Not a dealer, but I had my car at Mile One Collision in Glen Burnie this spring after some stupid chick t-boned me. I think they did pretty good quality work (though the paint is maybe a bit iffy in the right light) although their attention to detail sorta sucked. They had the car for a month, then I had to bring it back once for them to look at, and then another week for them to do all the stuff they didn't do when they gave it back to me "completed". They were reasonably easy to deal with and I had almost no insurance issues, but I did have to keep on top of them because they'd forget to do stuff, leave things broken (I got the car back with a headlight unplugged), and even forgot to call me to tell me the car was completed because the guy got busy. I guess I'd recommend them if you want good quality work done but don't mind some BS and having to push them to do everything you need done the way you want it in a reasonable time frame.

+1.

Great Vendor and dealer. They are 1 of the 3 dealerships that host Subaru meets in the area. I'd like to see more dealer's do this, but it does cost quite a bit to throw.

I forgot about Jackie! She used to work in Glen Burnie and now she's in Annapolis. I have bought several things from her and she's always great to work with...

Rafferty Subaru, Newtown Square, PA

Terrible sales experience multiple times (what can I say, they are 2 miles from my house). Heard very mixed reviews on their service.

Concordville Subaru, Concordville, PA

Poor sales experience (tried some unethical, lying tactics to push the sale on me that day). Heard decent stuff about their service.

Fred Beans Subaru, Doylestown, PA

What can I say, The King of Parts is based out of there... :)

Farrish Subaru, Fairfax, VA

Bought from car from A.K.....good experience. Things did go wrong, but A.K. and the sales team was great the whole time. The finance manager was not.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
I worked for A&T in Sellersville, PA for about 7 months and all of their customers seemed very happy with very little if any returned work. And they had a decent sized customer base for a fairly small operation. And they are quite mod friendly. Hell, the master tech installed a bigger turbo, pink injectors, a few gauges, and a bigger fuel pump for a guy with a WRX. They just charged him the standard book labor times. That's who I trust and that's who I'm going to for service.

• 2 years later...

I know that I said I would never go back to Russel, but I did. And once again, it did not go well. In fact, I don't think it could have gone any worse. This time it was the Russel VW/Subaru collision in Ellicott City. I brought my car in to get a driver door ding fixed and got the car back in worse shape than when it went in. They:

broke one of my Boston Pro tweeters,

put a new dent in the driver side rear door (from inside the door),

messed up the window molding

messed up the door molding on two doors

I had to bring it back in for them to have a paintless dent repair done to take out the new dent they gave me. They also had to fix the molding and paint the driver door handle frame that was part of the original repair but wasn't done. When I got the car back the second time it had yet another new dent in the back door and the driver door card now has a pronounced seam so I think they damaged the door card.

The worst part is that the repair sucked. You can still see where the dent was and they didn't blend the paint well at all. I could have bought a used silver door from a junkyard for less and had better results.

• I Donated

Maybe Russell Collision sucks, but I've had good (although limited) experiences with their service department. Jeff (one of the service advisers) is great.

I agree that Heritage is really good (both sales and service), but their service department wanted to charge $100 to program the immobilizer for a new key. Russell only wanted $50, so I went to them.

I had a terrible experience with Annapolis Subaru. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. Sales was OK (though they never transferred my tags, and had me driving around illegally for 2 years), but I wouldn't trust their service department to fix a sandwich.

Heritage in Owings Mill, however, was absolutely fantastic when we bought my wifes Impreza. I didn't buy my Outback there, because of their "we drive the cars off the lot" policy. The guy who sold us our Impreza was busy, so his colleague did everything he could to beat the crap out of the Outback he wanted me to buy.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Id stay away from Dulles Subaru in Leesburg....

I traded in my TSX to get my LGT there and it took them over 2months to pay off my TSX. I was making payments to Acura when I didnt even own the car anymore. They also forgot to give me the light bulb for one of my head lights. You would think they would check something like that before the new owner drives off.

They say theyre open at 10am, but when you call no one is around to take your call, not even a receptionist. And even when you call in the afternoon, the person youre looking for is rarely around. I will never go back there.......

Archived