LegacyGT.com

08 Spec.B fitment limitation

DrCloud

I just installed the new wheel/tire combo I got from TireRack -- OZ Ultraleggeras, 8x18ET48 (they come with a 58.1mm centering ring and their own lug nuts) with Goodyear Eagle F1 All-Seasons in 245/40.

They barely fit -- there's maybe 1/4" of inboard clearance between the tire and the Bilstein covers on the front end. And, on hard-cranked turns (parking lot manuevers), there's a hint of rubbing somewhere on the fronts. I haven't noticed any issues in normal driving, what little I've done. The car sure feels planted, though.

Now, it may be that these particular tires are wide for 245s, I don't know. But I wouldn't try anything wider than this, at least not without some suspension modifications.

Oops -- forgot an important bit: this combination weighs in at 47 pounds per corner. The OEM setup is 50. So at least that's something. HPH

OK, here's a couple of pictures...

http://www.hphanson.com/LGTB/Ultras-Side.jpg

http://www.hphanson.com/LGTB/Ultras-Rear.jpg

You can see from the rear view that the tire is almost flush with the top edge of the rear fender well, meaning that when the suspension compresses it rubs on the plastic liner. Although that might be manageable, for me it means they're really to big, even though they look good -- better than this in person. Subaru just didn't leave much room in there. HPH

Dam u. I was looking at those wheels too. Now I know what they look like on the car. I have the same thing, wing and all. But, my lenses are tinted. 18" looks a bit small for some reason. Must be the pics, but to me I thought those were 17".

Very nice. Enjoy.

If I had something important to say, I wouldn't tell you anyway.

They do look good but also a bit on the large side.

245/35/18, 235/35/18, or 225/40/18 may have fit better.

08SpecB, if you do buy the black ones! :)

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

The 245/40 size is closest, nominally, to the OEM diameter; however, these particular tires have quite square shoulders compared to many. That, and the extra width (plus the 7mm lower offset), pushes them out to where they hit the fender wells when the suspension compresses. I'd be surprised if a 235 on these same wheels would fit without similar rubbing. My next choice will be 225/40 on the OEM wheels -- smaller diameter by a half inch or so, but, geez, they ought to fit fine, you'd think. HPH

If and when I ever buy 18's I will go with 235/35 or 245/35 they seem to fit nicely.

245/40 is a little too tall.

BTW How is the handling and grip with those big tires?

The 245/40s are 1/10" taller, nominally, than stock on the Spec.B. (They're an inch and a tenth taller than the LGT stock tires.) But I'm thinking that shorter is better. Perhaps it's the car I'm coming off of, a Honda S2000, but I wouldn't mind running the Subaru engine a little faster.

With these big boys, though, the car feels planted. I didn't push it hard (the tires are brand new), but it feels quite solid. I'd imagine that with, say, the F1 GS-D3 summer tires in this size, you'd be hard pressed to get the thing to break loose, at least without getting pretty crazy. HPH

Or I was thinking of getting the silver and powder coating them to the color I DO want, that OZ used to have, but for some dumb reason discontinued.
If I had something important to say, I wouldn't tell you anyway.

Archived