LegacyGT.com

Tablet PC as Carputer?

MatsuDano

I see where you're coming from.

For those specific examples, I can only really cite this: during any media playback, as long as the navigation lady isn't on mute, google maps will interrupt any sound and use real-time voice navigation. For music control, google play music has quick controls that can be used on the pull down information bar.

All of it at once, I have no idea if there is something like that for ICS, let alone crummy gingerbread.

I have a feeling that the native google apps will have some kind of integration like that in the near future, but for as it is now and custom development over at XDA, I have no idea.

There's also app switching, which has been vastly improved in ICS. it's no substitute for having a good GUI with everything at your fingertips, but it's getting closer.

Edited by MatsuDano

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I believe, having had a moto xoom 4g for a whole 2 weeks, that there is a 64gb SDxc card that is working in those tabs at full capacity. I will see if i cant find the specific card. I dont know if it works on other tabs or not.

Edit: Here you go: 64 GB micro SDxc

Edited by mass-hole

• 2 weeks later...

Ill be doing a Android Tablet set up on June 23rd in my car (I'm away at school now so the car is 3000 miles away).

But so far these are the pieces that I have collected and are waiting for me at my parents home in addition to my car :spin:

1- HTC Flyer from CowBoom - $150 + $20 (Tax + Shipping)

http://img.gadgetian.com/HTC-Flyer-06.jpg

Why I chose this 7 Inch Tablet?

This is one of the only tablets that has the on screen buttons not only on the skinny side of the tablet, but it also has those same buttons oriented on the long side of the tablet. So that when I install it into my dash it will have the buttons oriented for a landscape situated tablet. As opposed to other setups like the Galaxy Tablet and the Nook color which have only buttons on the skinny side, and when you install it in the landscape oritentation the buttons end up being on their sides and looking quite awkward. As opposed to this one, where I will have 3 nice buttons on the bottom of the tablet when its in the dash.

1- HTC Flyer MHL Cable - $25

http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/500/225745254.jpg

It has the charing port and the headphone jack on the same side which makes my idea somewhat easier, because otherwise the charging port is one side and the headphone jack on the opposite side.

1- Otterbox made for HTC Flyer - $50

http://shop.htcpedia.com/images/detailed/HTC-FLYER-DEFENDR-CS-B-front.png

Why I chose the Otterbox for this build?

I plan on removing the HTC Flyer from my dash while the car is at home and I am away at school, plus I plan on using the HTC flyer at school to make any necessary drawings since it has Stylus functionality. But besides the fact that the case is very good at protecting the HTC Flyer, it comes as two pieces. It comes as the Hard Shell that goes around the phone, as well as the Shell-Case which is what is pictured on the right. So basically that Shell-Case can be used to stand the tablet up on a table, but the case that is actually around the phone can fit into that Shell-Case either face down or face up. Ill explain alil later down why I wanted the dual case capability.

1- HTC Flyer Car Charger 9v - $25.00

http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/350/223710438.jpg

This car charger is specifically made to allow charging to be in greater amount then the de-charging aspect. A lot of people on XDA developers complained that normal car chargers would produce a message on the tablet that said the car charger was not producing enough charge and that the tablet was still de-charging.

1- LGT JDM Double Din In Dash Kit - $350

We all know what it looks like, no need to add a picture

1- Sony DSX-S210X - $50.00 (Friend sold it because he needed some cash)

http://www.quadratec.com/Showcases/sony_stereo_head_units/images/SONY_DSX-S210X.jpg

Why I chose this headunit?

This headunit has BT, Aux IN, as well as that nifty new SONY Ipod Pocket for my Ipod Nano in case I want to use it, or have one of my parents use the car when the tablet isn't in there.

So Basically, I'm gonna install the JDM Double Din kit with the Single Din Sony Head unit in it, in the upper din pocket as opposed to the lower din pocket. But I plan on installed the head unit recessed in the Double Din kit about 1.5-2 inches back. Then in front of it I want to fab up a bar that goes across the back of the Otterbox Shell-Case. So that the Otterbox Shell-Case will be flush with the back of the JDM kit. The bar would be able to be screwed on and screwed off to allow for me to put the Tablet w/ Otterbox in the Otterbox Shell-case. Then connect the MHL adapter to the Tablet, and run the audio into the AUX in on the Sony. The Sony stereo will always be in AUX-IN mode, and the included remote will allow me full ability to control the volume of the speakers. The only drawback is that the Tablet will appear recessed in the Double Din hole because the Otterbox has a 6-7mm lip all around it.

I want my setup to look almost exactly like the this set up over on the MP3CAR forums.

http://www.mp3car.com/android-tablet/149047-galaxy-tab-7-evolution-ix.html

Any comments or Ideas?

Might want to scrap the mhl idea. Because the tablet uses the data pins to charge, so if you're using navigation etc. You'll lose charge because the mhl adapters can only charge at a maximum of 500 mAh, but without the mhl adapter you can use and charge because the data pins are not being tied up for data output.

Other than that, I eagerly await your creation as I was contemplating the same with my evo view.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Sounds awesome, I'm stoked someone else is tackling this idea.

Keep in mind though, the way mine went dimensions meant everything. The HTC flyer is 195.4mm wide, even wider with the otterbox. A double din slot is 180mm wide x 100mm high.

Thanks 1454. I didn't even know about that. MHL adapter idea scrapped then lol

No problem, I'm interested in this as a temp solution because I have the flyer/evo. And it's not commonly known that you can't fully charge and use mhl. I only found out a couple of months ago.

Edited by 1454

Yea EquinnoxX, it'is SpawnGT. I left to go to med school, sold my car to my best friend Gareth, he owned the car for a year, and then the insurance got way to expensive and sold me back my baby with an extra 6k on the clock. But I got her back. Couldn't be happier. I just can't get back into my SpawnGT account because the email account no longer exists for the "Forgot Passwod option"

How are you doing on/wake ?

The problem Ive had with tablets as such, installed, vs mounted is the installed most of the time makes the power button inaccessible. Unless you make it never sleep, I don't know of any app, or android device that does wake on soft button. If its just surface mounted then it should be fine. You should also be able to get a cable that does usb/audio out. Though even those might be limited to 500 mA.

I can't fully answer the question, but my evo view will run for 2-4 days on mostly just screen off idle. It's stock unrooted. I'm sure rooted you could extend it out further through underclocking. Just make sure auto sync is off so it doesn't try and pull a wifi signal when there isn't one.

I just realized you meant the car battery. Sorry, my reading comprehension skills suck today. I would say you aould have a parasitic drain of about 0.05 Ah (assuming me you screen off.). Screen on would pull about 0.5-0.7 Ah. That's about the level mine charges at intermittently when it is at full capacity. So I would say not very likely.

I think the typical passenger car battery, iirc, has about a 30Ah charge. (ca's and cca's don't equal battery charge, just sustained current for a short period )

Edited by 1454

I would probably remove the battery from the device (if possible) if I were to run it from the car battery-plugged up constantly. I'm a little concerned with the the battery being continuously plugged up for weeks, months, years. Since it will be constantly, and for very long periods of time, draining/charging there's always a possibility of heating up and battery failure. Just one of those 'it wasn't designed that way' kinda things.

How are you doing on/wake ?

The problem Ive had with tablets as such, installed, vs mounted is the installed most of the time makes the power button inaccessible. Unless you make it never sleep, I don't know of any app, or android device that does wake on soft button. If its just surface mounted then it should be fine. You should also be able to get a cable that does usb/audio out. Though even those might be limited to 500 mA.

Just use a small servo to press the power button.

LOL, When I had mine, I had it tied to bulgin switch on shifter housing. It used to power button for my CARPC, that was re-purposed. Some tablets will have an actual switch to wire into, others are SMC.

Though I should have something new and cool, and week or two. Best of both worlds maybe.

Yea EquinnoxX, it'is SpawnGT. I left to go to med school, sold my car to my best friend Gareth, he owned the car for a year, and then the insurance got way to expensive and sold me back my baby with an extra 6k on the clock. But I got her back. Couldn't be happier. I just can't get back into my SpawnGT account because the email account no longer exists for the "Forgot Passwod option"

Weclome back! :lol:

Let me know if you need any help or are gonna head out to any local meets. I'd like to check out the setup when it's complete!

Why not keep the battery in the device and put a relay in the power circuit. Wire the trigger to ACC (from the lighter), and it will not drain your battery as long as the key is removed.

• 1 month later...

Time to revive this thread!

I am going to start this project myself. I've been doing some testing and I'm sure it can be done looking pretty stock.

I'll break this down into two categories, hardware and software.

HARDWARE:

I'm going to use a Toshiba Thrive 7" tablet. The reason is size. It measures 189mm in width which is just a hair less that the Galaxy tab DanoH used. I'll still have to cut holes into the vents for cables but I don't have a problem with that.

For the vent/grille I think I'm going to purchase the bezel from the Spec.b. It is already designed for the navigation screen so it should be a better fit than cutting up a cubby one. First question: What should I do about the buttons below the screen? (see pic) Or should I use a cubby one and cut the hole bigger?

open?id=0BxSPyVTkJFBFcVlHTDlhWUVLQVk

I'll figure out a way to hard mount it once I've got everything in front of me. I'm sure I can makeshift some sort of bracket that will keep it solid. I'll post pictures of whatever I come up with.

SOFTWARE:

I purchased a Samsung Galaxy player (5.0" screen) that I used for a couple weeks to workout the software issues.To solve the lack of access to the power button I use an app called Setting Profiles.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.probeez.profiles&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5wcm9iZWV6LnByb2ZpbGVzIl0.

In this app I set up two profiles, One for power and one for without. When the car turns on it powers the device and sets the screen to never sleep. When the car turns off it sets the screen timeout to 15 sec. Plenty of time to shut down anything I have running. I've got other settings/apps applied also but you get the idea.

All other software (Torque, maps, etc) is pretty self explanatory. I'd still like to find a nicer Car Home app but the ones that are out there will do for now.

Now, second question. Where can I get the navigation center grill for a decent price? The only one I have found is here: http://parts.subarupartswarehouse.com/parts/2008/SUBARU/LEGACY/GT%20SPEC.B/?siteid=214327&vehicleid=1440456&diagram=7524455&diagramCallOut=3 but it's over $100 with shipping. I'd be perfectly happy with a nice used one but can't seem to find any. All the ones I see on ebay are cubbies.

I'm going to take my time on this and do it nice. I wasn't happy with the look of the Samsung player in there. It was just too small and I couldn't get it to look right.

Let me know if you have any suggestions. I'll probably start ordering stuff this weekend. The Toshiba thrive is an sale at Newegg.com for $230 through Saturday.

spec_interior.jpg.8182970aaa42e49e2146a65e965529ec.jpg

Time to revive this thread!

I am going to start this project myself. I've been doing some testing and I'm sure it can be done looking pretty stock.

I'll break this down into two categories, hardware and software.

HARDWARE:

I'm going to use a Toshiba Thrive 7" tablet. The reason is size. It measures 189mm in width which is just a hair less that the Galaxy tab DanoH used. I'll still have to cut holes into the vents for cables but I don't have a problem with that.

For the vent/grille I think I'm going to purchase the bezel from the Spec.b. It is already designed for the navigation screen so it should be a better fit than cutting up a cubby one. First question: What should I do about the buttons below the screen? (see pic) Or should I use a cubby one and cut the hole bigger?

open?id=0BxSPyVTkJFBFcVlHTDlhWUVLQVk

I'll figure out a way to hard mount it once I've got everything in front of me. I'm sure I can makeshift some sort of bracket that will keep it solid. I'll post pictures of whatever I come up with.

SOFTWARE:

I purchased a Samsung Galaxy player (5.0" screen) that I used for a couple weeks to workout the software issues.To solve the lack of access to the power button I use an app called Setting Profiles.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.probeez.profiles&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5wcm9iZWV6LnByb2ZpbGVzIl0.

In this app I set up two profiles, One for power and one for without. When the car turns on it powers the device and sets the screen to never sleep. When the car turns off it sets the screen timeout to 15 sec. Plenty of time to shut down anything I have running. I've got other settings/apps applied also but you get the idea.

All other software (Torque, maps, etc) is pretty self explanatory. I'd still like to find a nicer Car Home app but the ones that are out there will do for now.

Now, second question. Where can I get the navigation center grill for a decent price? The only one I have found is here: http://parts.subarupartswarehouse.com/parts/2008/SUBARU/LEGACY/GT%20SPEC.B/?siteid=214327&vehicleid=1440456&diagram=7524455&diagramCallOut=3 but it's over $100 with shipping. I'd be perfectly happy with a nice used one but can't seem to find any. All the ones I see on ebay are cubbies.

I'm going to take my time on this and do it nice. I wasn't happy with the look of the Samsung player in there. It was just too small and I couldn't get it to look right.

Let me know if you have any suggestions. I'll probably start ordering stuff this weekend. The Toshiba thrive is an sale at Newegg.com for $230 through Saturday.

Take a look at these:

http://www.avojdm.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_54_60&products_id=109

http://www.avojdm.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_54_60&products_id=108

The first has an opening of 180mm X 119mm, the second, 200mm x 100mm. At least you won't have the button holes from the Spec B to cover up. Also, they are Subaru OEM, so they'll fit like a glove. They're not cheap though..... :)