LegacyGT.com

Clutch Stink: Driving Lesson?

zvilly

Hi Everyone,

So I have extensively searched the forum for some answers to my question about clutch stink but I did not really find the answer I was looking for.

Under normal driving conditions (city, spirited driving, slower shifts), the clutch doesn't smell at all. However, there have been a few incidences when I needed to shift through the gears as quick as possible and that is when after a couple of shifts I can smell the stink. I don't really dump the clutch, in between shifts I release it fairly quickly and get on the gas. I also don't hear any thuds from the diff, so I guess I'm not really dumping it.

My question is: can I shift differently without sacrificing much time and still avoid clutch stink? Some people take their cars to the strip quite often and don't get any stick from the stock clutch.

Any tips/help would really be appreciated! Thanks!

Villy

Here's a tip. Better search "qualifiers". The OEM clutch "stinks" by design. At fault - the CDV valve. But the clutch was supposedly designed like this, in order to be the weak link in the transmission and protect it from driver's abuse. You will get clutch stink at some point or another though you ma learn how to do without when driving in normal circumstances*. But drive it on the slightest incline, in reverse, and it will stink 12 times out of 10.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/search.php?searchid=6640317

Hmm... well I never smelled the stink when reversing or driving normally, only when I'm really trying to shift quickly. I even got a lightweight crank pulley so it would bring down the rpms a bit faster and its easier to rev-match.

If it stinks by design, probably means that it wears out pretty quickly. I still don't understand how the drag-racers don't get stink while putting out decent times.

Thanks for the help!

It all depends on what type of trans the drag cars use. If it's a street car, I can't answer. However most purpose built race cars of any kind don't use a synchronized transmission. W/o syncros you can simply change gears, you only use the clutch to launch. These are sometimes referred to as "crash" gearboxes.

Archived