LegacyGT.com

Is it illegal to?

Well, this past few months I have recieved two speeding tickets both 12-15 mph over the speed limit. The first cop said he used radar and my radar detector didnt go off, so I asked him to show me his radar lock and he said no. Aren't we allowed to see the radar lock if we ask? the second time I just went along quietly and took the ticket, cop said the speed goes from 30mph to 15mph. Can I give the cops the middle finger and not get in trouble,or give them the heil. I'm sick of these gestapo a$$holes, Boulder and surrounding counties are a joke they wont give you any breaks, and each time I was pulled over was late at night coming home from work if no ones on the road cant they be a little giving, but I guess thats how it goes. So hopefully I dont loose my license, and if I do, looks like I'm riding my bicycle everyday

I don't think you'll lose your license for 2 tix at 15 mph over, however I don't think that giving the officer the finger will net you any "future" leniency:lol: .

Seriously though, when I was younger and thought that balls to the walls was the only way to drive, I had 7 speeding violations in a span of 2 years and did not have to walk. Well I almost did b/c of the crazy $$ I had to pay in surcharges.:(

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

My old J30t was a great highway cruiser and I got some tickets while hurrying home to relax. I did catch a break one time from a State Trooper who, while still giving me a ticket, reduced the cited speed from a level that would have meant serious trouble to just a normal ticket. I figured it was because I interacted with him in a professional businesslike manner. Anyway, the 20 minutes or so that you sit on the side of the road while getting written up seriously slows up hurrying home to relax so now I try to keep to a speed that doesn't attract attention which isn't easy in the Spec. B.

One trick I learned from the NICO site is that when the cop asks you if you know why you have been pulled over, say no. Saying yes is an admission of guilt which is why they ask it in the first place. However, the "no" response might tick off the cop and make your problems worse because the cop will probably figure that you're playing games with him.

well this is my fifth ticket in 4 years and I'm 23 so I'm not a youngster. and in Colorado we have a point system and when you run out of points your license gets revoked, I'm looking at 10 points being taken off my license after the plea bargins. The fines dont worry me it's the points that worry me. your points get renewd when you turn 18, and then again at 25 so. I'm gonna be S.O.L. come september

I don't know 'bout your laws but in WI not only can you see the lock but they have a print out you can request which also has to be present on your optional court date. If you can I say make the court appearence. Its worth the possible insurance rate increase. Oh and I think the finger falls under Lude and obscene conduct in the presence of a law enforcement officer. Felony charge!!!

And Leggy's don't look good in impound:icon_sad:

One trick I learned from the NICO site is that when the cop asks you if you know why you have been pulled over, say no. Saying yes is an admission of guilt which is why they ask it in the first place. However, the "no" response might tick off the cop and make your problems worse because the cop will probably figure that you're playing games with him.

The first ticket I did play stupid and the cop tacked on a blinker violation when he was pulling me over citing that when I was pulling over I did not use my blinker. The second time the cop didnt say anything just asked for license, registration and proof of insurance, then he proceeded to tell me why I was stopped. There the new S.S. of the 20th century, oh and we are protected by the first amendment so flipping the bird is protected by the constitution

I don't know 'bout your laws but in WI not only can you see the lock but they have a print out you can request which also has to be present on your optional court date. If you can I say make the court appearence. Its worth the possible insurance rate increase. Oh and I think the finger falls under Lude and obscene conduct in the presence of a law enforcement officer. Felony charge!!!

And Leggy's don't look good in impound:icon_sad:

I just read a article that we are protected by the constitution as freedom of speech to flip the bird. just found a article about a man in 2000 who had fliped a cop off and then went to court over a bogus charge because he had made the officer angry and had nothing to do with a traffic stop.

1 more thing as far as the points go most municipalities offer a defensive driving course ussually 6 weeks in length and intended for DUI and habitual offenders. Look into one of these it may help come court time. Not to mention they ussually get you a discount on your insurance rates.

At 23, you're still a youngster in the eyes of the actuaries sorry to say. Here in IL, there is a program called "Court Supervision" where if you stay out of trouble for a year and complete a safety course that can be taken on line, the ticket will not go on your record. I know you're probably screwed or will at best have restrictions placed on your licence but the IL safety course was interesting. It is written primarily by the insurance industry and you do get a feel for how they determine/assess risk.

1 more thing as far as the points go most municipalities offer a defensive driving course ussually 6 weeks in length and intended for DUI and habitual offenders. Look into one of these it may help come court time. Not to mention they ussually get you a discount on your insurance rates.

All ready taken levels 1-3 and cant take anymore after three so once again S.O.L.

I just read a article that we are protected by the constitution as freedom of speech to flip the bird. just found a article about a man in 2000 who had fliped a cop off and then went to court over a bogus charge because he had made the officer angry and had nothing to do with a traffic stop.

True there are ways around it. But one of the cases I studied in school contridicts this. Unfortunatly some jag with a prior drug charge in Michigan flipped off another driver in on the highway in the early 80's. Anyways it violated his probation he was bound for a five year sentence, he lawyered up went to all the way to the supreme court and lost primarily b/c our judicial system would rather spend millions to keep a repeat drug offender in prison then worry about rapists and murderers. But you are right there are cases were freedom of speech and personal expression have gotten people out of trouble.

Well, this past few months I have recieved two speeding tickets both 12-15 mph over the speed limit.

Not trying to be a dick but,maybe you should have slowed down after the 1st ticket knowing your point situation.

Captain Obvious also says giving a cop the finger or Sig Heiling him will only lead to more points.:icon_wink

...Aren't we allowed to see the radar lock if we ask?...
This depends on your state laws. In Virginia, you used to be able to ask and the cop was required to show you. Recently, the law was changed so they no longer have to do this.

Not trying to be a dick but,maybe you should have slowed down after the 1st ticket knowing your point situation.

Captain Obvious also says giving a cop the finger or Sig Heiling him will only lead to more points.:icon_wink

oh I was going the speed limit just I wasnt looking that when you cross into Boulder the speed limit dropped and I was slowing down but he nailed me for 26 in a 15 so do the math I was going the speed limit I guess I will stomp on brakes for now on and go five under an piss everyone off

First off, as satisfying as it can be to flip them off, it doesn't accomplish anything, and may simply prevent "leniency" in the future, as mentioned above.

Secondly, laws are different from state to state, so you would need to find out what causes you to lose your license in your state, based on your laws. Here in MA, if you get 3 tickets within 12 consecutive months, you get a 30 or 90 day suspension (I forget which).

If you get a ticket, ALWAYS fight it in court. There is a pretty decent chance that the officer won't show up, in which case the ticket is dropped. Of course, with enough priors, you've already fallen behind and they will use this against you in the future whenever you get pulled over or go to court - that's why it's important to fight ALL of them.

In most states, the officer does not have to show you the speed on the gun. This was done in the interest of the officer's safety, as they are at risk under such circumstances.

Your best option is to fight this, as I always do. There are MANY laws that need to be followed for each ticket, and many officers rarely follow them all. For example, visual tracking history is required before radar numbers can be admitted (technically). In addition, many roads have illegaly-low posted speed limits (violation of the Federal MUTCD) so you can press that issue as well. And, of course, there are the MANY errors that a radar gun can cause during its operation, too.

Take a look at a lot of the information available at National Motorists Association. You may even consider becoming a member, and using their "Legal Defense Kit" which gives you TONS of state-specific information for fighting your ticket.

Of course, I am willing to help in whatever way I can, as well... :) (IANAL, but I just can't stand the idiocy of the "speed kill" mantra.)

EDIT: Just curious - what brand of radar detector do you have? Do you know "how to use it" properly? (This doesn't mean just turning it on.)

oh I was going the speed limit just I wasnt looking that when you cross into Boulder the speed limit dropped and I was slowing down but he nailed me for 26 in a 15 so do the math I was going the speed limit I guess I will stomp on brakes for now on and go five under an piss everyone off

Hey no offense but you kind of sound like a dumb, young punk. I mean hey you got caught... take your medicine like a man. They are doing a job, and you are in fact breaking the law, but there is no reason to make it personal... the police officer and state patrol officers aren't. Just slow down, and you will get to where you are going faster! It might be a good idea if you lose your liscence for a while, teach you that driving is a privalege, not a right.

Hey no offense but you kind of sound like a dumb, young punk. I mean hey you got caught... take your medicine like a man. They are doing a job, and you are in fact breaking the law, but there is no reason to make it personal... the police officer and state patrol officers aren't.

:whore:

Honestly, disscussing the pros and cons of flipping an officer off really doesn't make you sound like a mature adult. They got a tough job and they risk their life for your saftey, give them a break. (granted some of them are a-holes, just like some of us are.)

Hey no offense but you kind of sound like a dumb, young punk. I mean hey you got caught... take your medicine like a man. They are doing a job, and you are in fact breaking the law, but there is no reason to make it personal... the police officer and state patrol officers aren't. Just slow down, and you will get to where you are going faster! It might be a good idea if you lose your liscence for a while, teach you that driving is a privalege, not a right.

+2

cbroo, not to bash, as I am empathetic to your situation but de-escalating the situation as much as possible will only hold in your favor. Again, not bashing you, just giving some friendly advice. Fight it in court, if you can.

Most officers do not make it personal when they pull someone over, some of them do when making citations, but that's usually not the norm. However, the very instant the person being pulled over makes it personal, that could change. That is, however, my experiences after bs'ing with the local law enforcement at the range.

-Jim

i was in Scottsdale, AZ for the earlier part of the week and they have traffic cams that takes picture of your cars and your face. I believe it's fightable cause someone over here in NYC said who's testifiy against him since there's no eye witness, he got off the hook on that and that's probably why they did away with them.

last december i got pulled over doing like 25 over around where i-25 became i-36, the cops said i was 15 over though (speed limit in that particular part of i-36 is 55mph instead of 65) and only gave me a warning (one of them lives in my area and also drives a LGT :cool: )

then this spring i got caught speeding again in broomfield. i slowed down as soon as i saw the cop, but he still pulled me over. after checking my background (haven't been ticketed for almost 2 yrs) he decided to let me go :cool:

EDIT: both times i didn't argue with them at all. i always remain silent if it's my fault.

This Space For Rent

OK... all discussion of lewd behavior toward law enforcement aside...

I got two tickets in the last six months. After TWELVE YEARS of not having any, and having driven a lot of miles.

BOTH times, the officers respectively claimed to have clocked me at 13 and 20 miles per hour over the speed limit, then proceeded to write me up at 10mph over. I was actually going less than ten over in both instances, accellerating to 8-over on the highway the first time, decelerating on the highway into city limits, the second

Conveniently, in Iowa, the first two tickets at 10mph or less in excess of a posted limit between 34 and 56 miles per hour are exempted. Then, after two more, or two tickets in a year's time, more than 10mph over, or any ticket above 56mph posted, or less than 36mph posted limits, you must go to traffic school. THEN, after a year's probation, it gets reset. Another ticket under probation gets one a suspension.

It is a racket. Whether it is the police, or the lawmakers (more likely), it is a money making and public control excercise.

And it isn't necessarily a matter of "maybe you should slow down, idgit!"

A flagrant abuse by a driver, maybe, but there are cases of normal people driving well, and maybe a couple of mph above the limit being snared. I do, and have for many years, kept a rule of blending with traffic, usually around 8-10mph over the posted limit, and only faster to pass, or escape containment situations (getting boxed in on a multi-lane highway, with no easy escape route.) Slower of course if road conditions dictate.

Flipping a bird might be exactly what you want to do when being pulled over. I know the feeling. It can cause more trouble than satisfaction, though.

Wait a minute- you got a ticket going only 26mph!?! Why the hell was the speed limit only 15? The only places I've seen limits that low were airport drop off areas and parking lots. Even school zones and residential streets are 25. Was this an actual steet? If so, you may be able to fight it under a speed trap clause. The fact that they were using radar in a 15mph zone sounds strange to me. Here in CA, they have to do a traffic survey before they can use radar, and find the average speed regardless of the posted limit. If the posted limit is lower then the survey, it's a speed trap.

Archived