LegacyGT.com

Subaru engine problems about to come into the spotlight?

Today, I went shopping, to try to unload my 2001 Accord to a used car dealer...When discussing what I was thinking of getting as my next car, I mentionned the Legacy. This dealer told me that there are important, but still not fully-public, reliability problems with all Subaru engines. The engines have almost always to be rebuilt before 50,000 milles...According to him, these problems are just about to explode in the open. He also told me that the WRX STI is going to be taken off the market by Subaru because of its poor engine/transmission reliability. It is the first time I hear about this. Does anybody have any indication about where this might be coming from?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='BernardP']Today, I went shopping, to try to unload my 2001 Accord to a used car dealer...When discussing what I was thinking of getting as my next car, I mentionned the Legacy. This dealer told me that there are important, but still not fully-public, reliability problems with all Subaru engines. The engines have almost always to be rebuilt before 50,000 milles...According to him, these problems are just about to explode in the open. He also told me that the WRX STI is going to be taken off the market by Subaru because of its poor engine/transmission reliability. It is the first time I hear about this. Does anybody have any indication about where this might be coming from?[/quote] I have an idea where it might be coming from, but might be banned if I tell you... :lol: hint: it's coming from an area of his body that also expels feces. :o

[quote name='BernardP']Today, I went shopping, to try to unload my 2001 Accord to a used car dealer...When discussing what I was thinking of getting as my next car, I mentionned the Legacy. This dealer told me that there are important, but still not fully-public, reliability problems with all Subaru engines. The engines have almost always to be rebuilt before 50,000 milles...According to him, these problems are just about to explode in the open. He also told me that the WRX STI is going to be taken off the market by Subaru because of its poor engine/transmission reliability. It is the first time I hear about this. Does anybody have any indication about where this might be coming from?[/quote] It amazes me that people are so gullilble that they believe stuff like this....ESPECIALLY from a salesman for another brand. PULLLLLEEEEEZ! And to even get posted on this board as some legit problem......DOUBLE PULEEEZ! Mark

[quote name='BernardP']Today, I went shopping, to try to unload my 2001 Accord to a used car dealer...When discussing what I was thinking of getting as my next car, I mentionned the Legacy. This dealer told me that there are important, but still not fully-public, reliability problems with all Subaru engines. The engines have almost always to be rebuilt before 50,000 milles...According to him, these problems are just about to explode in the open. He also told me that the WRX STI is going to be taken off the market by Subaru because of its poor engine/transmission reliability. It is the first time I hear about this. Does anybody have any indication about where this might be coming from?[/quote] agreed. my brother in law's parents have had their outback for ages - the thing has damn near 150k on it, and it's still running strong. now, unless the above refers to more recent subie's built, it's a load of crap, since aside from awd, they are known to have tough bastards for engines. also...keep in mind he is a used car salesmen. dont let that molester mustache fool you 8)

[quote name='Throttlejockey']Let's see, what did he recommend? A car on his lot maybe? Another Accord?[/quote] In fact, he told me to get an Acura TSX or a Mercedes-Benz C 230. He had none of these on the lot. He also told me that AWD is way overrated. I know what I think about AWD. It is something that I don't need, but that I desire. It is not that I believe what he said, but rather that I wonder where it might be coming from.

Hmm, lets see, go to a dealership (used car no less) and talk about buying a "New" Subaru. First of all not many normal sales people at subaru really know much about the cars. Second most big competitors who sell new cars like Mitusbishi with the EVO know even less about subarus. And now you go to a used car place and think to believe what they say about subarus. I really hope you were joking around about asking everyone if this was true or not. I have never once heard of a subaru engine having to be rebuilt at 50k unless the owner did some serious mods to it and blew it that way. I have been on the subaru forums for over two years and never heard a dealer as stupid as the one you went to. honestly he should get a good kick in the ass for saying something like that, haha.

[quote name='BoxerGT2.5']Take the source at hand....there's your answer. Was this a subaru salesmen? Or Honda? When talking mechanics with a salesmen...most dont know the elbow from their a$$.[/quote] You got that right. Even the Subie salesman didn't know that much about the LGT. When i got it, I told him exactly what i wanted, and he had to look up options and models to see if what i wanted existed. I clearly knew more about the car than the salesman. Plus he probably wants you to buy another ho-hum, boring accord... :roll:

well, maybe a used TSX and C-class have much higher resale value than Legacy. :D or they dont have any used legacy in stock, or he doesnt even expect to have in the near future. C-class is one the most unreliable car in Europe, some where close to fiat, rover etc. whatelse does he say about subaru??

Dont take our word for it. Check consumer reports. And JD powers. Your salesman is feeding you a line of crap. I would go and waste his time trying to haggle a car on his lot then after 4 hours of wasting his time I would tell him that you think hes full of crap.

[quote name='Fuji_Heavy']I've read that a lot of WRX (not Sti) owners are having problems with their trannies, syncros going out. Do a search on google, ask.com.[/quote] The manual tranny has been toughted as weak. But that also depends on what the person is doing to it. How much they're pounding on it.
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

[quote name='Fuji_Heavy']I've read that a lot of WRX (not Sti) owners are having problems with their trannies, syncros going out. Do a search on google, ask.com.[/quote] Yeah, and how many of them were doing things like launching at 6000 rpm, shifting without lifting, shifting without the clutch. People just want to abuse it more, driven like a normal person with stock power it will be fine.

My brother has a friend with a dealer's license--he goes to auctions and buys cars to resell. When my mother needed a new used car he said he could get her whatever she wanted at auction, just let him know, but he recommended subaru's, because "they go forever", and said he had bought 5 for his kids when they went to college. I guess they have owned subaru's for years and years. This guy is loaded and could drive whatever he wanted. Hell, my wrx had 48k I think when I traded it in.

[quote name='Fuji_Heavy']I've read that a lot of WRX (not Sti) owners are having problems with their trannies, syncros going out. Do a search on google, ask.com.[/quote] You could find anything on google. Honda K20's blowing up. Maxima syncros going during breakin. 5th generation Accord V6 glass auto trannies. Most of them due to abuse. When doing repeated 5k "im gonna rape your honda" clutch drops, mAd PawAH Shifting, on an AWD drivetrain expect somthing to break. Its pretty much driver demographics. The same tranny used on a 2.5 N/A impreza has had an admirable service record.

Archived