LegacyGT.com

Want to Plasti Dip my rims, questions

Yimminstine

Okay, well really just one question for anyone out here that's used plastidip on their rims before. Do you guys take your tires off? or do you just spray it on while everything's still on the car. looking for a cheap solution till I can save up some money to get new wheels/tires on my '10 legacy.

I have sprayed mine twice. The first time I took the rims off and taped the tires off because i wanted to get the inside of the rim with a few good coats. The second time i just left the wheels on the car and didnt tape anything. I live on a dirt road and actually have winters unlike some of the members on here and have been impressed with how it holds up overall.

How many cans does it take to do all four ?
StageIII Cryotune-Kinugawa STS TD06H-20GTX 9 blade turbine, ID1000, DW65c, 73mm MegaMAF , GS EWG up-pipe, Downpipe and EBCS, FMS FMIC, TGV Delete, Brembo swap

Dipyyourcar.com. Tips, tricks, and even youtube videos. You can get different colors and even get glossifier or metalizer to change the finish. Enjoy.

Thanks ill probably go metalizer black unless I can get bright green in a spray can

get 4 to be safe. 4-5 coats will be good

Thanks for the info

StageIII Cryotune-Kinugawa STS TD06H-20GTX 9 blade turbine, ID1000, DW65c, 73mm MegaMAF , GS EWG up-pipe, Downpipe and EBCS, FMS FMIC, TGV Delete, Brembo swap

Really is pretty miraculous stuff. If you want to get a feel for it, dip something small like a battery tie down or some such small metal part. Then peel it off. You'll get a feel for how it works pretty quickly.

+1 (or more) to getting at least 4 coats, 5 may be better. Too thin, and it won't bond properly to itself and it won't stay together when it comes off. You can still get it off, but it becomes a matter of rubbing at it pretty seriously for a while rather than just peeling it off in one piece like a taut rubber glove. (Ask me how I know. Dropped my swaybar on the ground just as I was finishing the last coat and ruined the finish (still wet). Had to let it dry and then peeled it right of. I'm still working at a couple spots that I didn't get good coverage.)

Make sure your wheels are as clean as possible when you do it. Enjoy. I've considered doing my winter wheels (stockers) in glossified white. :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
Just did mine this weekend. I just put a ton of tireshine on the tires before i sprayed them. I used 3 1/2 cans for all four without doing any tape work and spraying all over the tire/rim. The tire shine made it very easy to just peel off in one big circle shape. Good luck

%5Bimg%5Dhttp%3A//i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt8/prkskir412/IMAG0259.jpg[/img]

I didn't take any during the process pictures but this is a shotty cell phone shot. My girl had our camera with her at the time

• 2 weeks later...

Archived