LegacyGT.com

Carfax how accurate?

Matt78

So almost every LGT I look that that has a carfax. Something always doesn't seem right for example. This says one owner.

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=4S3BL676556228156&partner=COO_0

But there is a indication it was for sale in 09. So to me it looks like 2 owners.

Also the oil change history is 5k + miles and the 05 have the banjo filter problem.

Then there is no service history from 14k miles to 32k miles. Is it only dealers/mechanics that work with carfax that the record will show up. Obviously if people do maintenance to there own car it wont show up.

Am I looking to deep into Carfax history. And comments/suggestions to help out will be appreciated.

I don't really use carfax to look for negatives. The last couple cars I purchased were because the carfax had lots of positives. In the case of my subie, it clearly showed one owner and all maintenance done at the same dealer right up until warranty expired and car offered for sale. No history via carfax might not mean anything bad, but positive info is exactly that. That kind of stuff has influenced my last couple of car purchases. Just that much extra piece of mind.

• I Donated

Carfax is acurate if the previous owners have serviced their car at the dealer EVERY time.

Carfax does NOT cover if a car has been totaled and sold at an auction or anything like that. Average repair shops (Meineke, Sears, Firestone, Goodyear, etc) do not report to carfax

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Actually, it does cover auction sales, as well as regular service (as pointed out above). OTOH, not all wrecks may be reported...
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

If you purchased the carfax, your car also has the carfax gaurantee if you registered the car with carfax once purchased, which I sure hope would apply to a car that was totaled and unreported. Carfax is just one small weapon in the battle to buy a car. Better than nothing and in my case it has worked out well looking for positive info.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived