LegacyGT.com

Getting a cracked rim welded

AI32

After finding a crack in my SSR GT7, I decided to get it repaired. The wheel wasn't holding air for long (slow leak), and was pretty noticeably bent. I couldn't source a replacement rim (the GT7's have been discontinued). The alternative was getting a new set, so I think I'll take my chances on a repaired rim for now. I'm making this thread to keep everyone posted on how it turns out. I'm having it repaired at Rim and Wheel Works in Waltham, MA. I've heard only good things about them. I've read alot about why you shouldn't repair a cracked rim, but haven't seen any specific anecdotes about wheel failure, so I figure I will see how long the repair holds up, and list the time frame here.

• 1 month later...

So I wanted to follow up on the saga of getting my wheel fixed. I had the rim straightened, welded and a new tire put on.

The first go round, I dropped it off on a Thursday, and it was ready by Tuesday. I picked it up two days later when I was back in town (Thursday), and immediately noticed vibration since I had the repaired wheel installed up front. At speeds above 40 mph, letting the wheel go would show a noticeable steering wheel vibration that would get worse as the speed approached 65, and then would die down above 80. I called Rim and Wheel Works and let them know that the rim didn't seem straight. They told me to bring it back - they would make it right.

I brought it back two days later on Saturday. The tech told me two things - the rim was dented in two places (where it had been welded, as well as a new spot), and that the other three rims were slightly bent as well. He said that they could straighten the broken rim again, but they would charge me for the straightening. I left feeling disappointed that I was going to have to pay to get a complete new set of rims, when I'd already paid to fix a wheel to avoid just that.

After thinking it over all week, I gave Rim and Wheel works a call and said I was dissatisfied. The tech had led me to believe that in the course of two days, I'd bent the straightened rim in two places. That didn't seem right, especially since the ride hadn't changed since it was installed. They also didn't tell me about my other rims being bent until after they had charged me. They had, however, been eager to recommend I purchase a new set through them. Sean, the guy I spoke with on the phone, seemed like a stand up guy though. He said to bring the car back in and they would, once again, make it right.

I brought the car back in the next week Thursday. Sean had the tech straighten the wheel for no charge. In the course of straightening, the weld was broken, and the rim had to be sent out again for re-welding. I was without my wheel again until the following Tuesday. When I went to pick it up, Sean wasn't there. The woman in his place refused to have the tech's re-install the wheel, so I wound up putting it back on my self. No biggie. This time around, the vibration was completely gone. The steering wheel was rock steady.

Overall, I can't say I was completely happy with the experience, but Sean made good on his word. If I had to do it again (and if I'd known about the 3 other slightly bent rims), I would've just bought a new set originally, like I plan to do when I get my tax return. Overall, it took 3 weeks and numerous trips to a shop 30 miles away to get a reasonably smooth ride. I just hope the weld holds up until I get a new set of wheels.

Dude, that sucks to hear about the rims. I like those wheels. How did you bend all of them up??? :)

I'm glad they fixed it up when all was said and done.

Hello from the grave by the way, I haven't been on this board forever and decided to see how the old gal was doing. I'm glad to see her new (well, not so new any more) owner has been taking care of her. I really do miss that car. My STi is nice but the '05-'08 LGTs are beasts in their own right.

I just would NEVER weld a wheel.:eek:

At the very least, have them magnafluxed.

I am not trying to scare you here, but the absolute worst non racing accident I ever had, involved a welded/fixed Mag wheel. The sucker broke at 50 MPH, pulled me into the LR dirt verge, and I ended up in a combination barrel roll/end over end crash.

I wasn't even speeding:eek:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I just would NEVER weld a wheel.:eek:

At the very least, have them magnafluxed.

I am not trying to scare you here, but the absolute worst non racing accident I ever had, involved a welded/fixed Mag wheel. The sucker broke at 50 MPH, pulled me into the LR dirt verge, and I ended up in a combination barrel roll/end over end crash.

I wasn't even speeding:eek:

What speed zone was you in LOL that's the only way we can tell if you were not speeding :lol: 50 in a 25 ? 50 in a 35? ..................that isn't serious btw just poking fun

Dude, that sucks to hear about the rims. I like those wheels. How did you bend all of them up??? :)

I'm glad they fixed it up when all was said and done.

Hello from the grave by the way, I haven't been on this board forever and decided to see how the old gal was doing. I'm glad to see her new (well, not so new any more) owner has been taking care of her. I really do miss that car. My STi is nice but the '05-'08 LGTs are beasts in their own right.

The mean streets of Boston have taken their toll. So you've got an STI now huh? I knew the Outback wouldn't last long :cool:

What speed zone was you in LOL that's the only way we can tell if you were not speeding :lol: 50 in a 25 ? 50 in a 35? ..................that isn't serious btw just poking fun

50 in a 45:lol:

And once the spokes dug into the dirt:eek:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Archived