LegacyGT.com

Going Stage 1 Thursday, question

SubLGTaru

I'm about to go Stage 1 on Thursday when I get my Accessport. I have a 2007 LGT 5MT. I am looking at Cobb's Maps online, so I can download them. I want to go with the 93 Octane Stage 1 map, but noticed that it said I cannot run a aftermarket drop-in panel filter. I have the K&N panel filter.

Off Cobb's site:

MUST USE FACTORY INTAKE SYSTEM and FACTORY INTAKE FILTER. NO

OTHER AFTERMARKET INTAKES, OR DROP-IN REPLACEMENT AIR FILTERS ARE CERTIFIED

COMPATIBLE WITH THIS CALIBRATION. THE USE OF A DROP-IN REPLACEMENT AIR FILTER WILL

ALLOW THE VEHICLE TO RUN LEANER THAN DESIRED, WHICH CAN CAUSE ENGINE DAMAGE.

So do I really have to go back to my stock paper filter? Or would I be fine to flash Cobb's Stage 1 map (93 Octane) with my K&N drop-in panel filter?

Sorry, a bit new to the AP, and I don't want to screw anything up.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great now it's saying Windows does not recognize the file, after I try downloading the Cobb Stage 1 Map. It is a Poly Tracker Module (PTM) file. Anyway I can open this file so it saves in my AccessPort Manager?

Maybe this is just a Windows thing...but it won't let me open the file because it does not recognize the file.

Anyone run into this problem? If so, how do I get it to open the file and put it into my AccessPort manager?

^^^ I do not have a downpipe...I am running a Stage 1 Cobb OTS map first. The problem I am having, is when I go to get the map off Cobb's website, and download it, when I try to OPEN the file it says Windows does not recognize it...

I just need someone that has been throught this before to tell me how to open the PTM file. What do I need to use to open it with?

The Cobb documentation and the AP itself are a bit cryptic, as I discovered last weekend upon installing my new one. This is probably because much of the documentation was written for older units and has not been updated.

For example, there's an online instruction to wait to upgrade the AP2 firmware until you're sure that you have a new enough ODB connector (what they call the "dongle"). My new (from Cobb) AP2 had a new enough dongle, it turned out, so I was fine. (I got lucky, because I went ahead and upgraded the firmware without checking.) The dongle itself needed updating as well, which happened automatically with a couple of reboots, and then everything proceeded according to plan.

With respect to map files: if you're going with the files included with the AP, you don't need to be downloading them. In fact, if you don't want to upgrade the firmware, you don't need the PC part of this at all: everything you need is on-board the AP (including the COBB off-the-shelf maps). So stop what you're doing and wait until you get your unit.

In retrospect, the best way to do the install is:

1. Plug the AP into the car according to instructions, but don't install. Instead, find the "About" menu and check the dongle's version. If it's new enough, unplug the AP from the car and upgrade its firmware using your PC and Cobb's site. (I didn't do this, so I'm not 100% certain that the "About" menu will show up at this point. If it doesn't, you'll have to decide whether to risk the firmware upgrade. How lucky do you feel?)

2. After you upgrade the firmware, don't do anything else with the unit while it's plugged into the PC -- there's not much it will do anyway, because it doesn't have a car married to it yet.

3. Go back and do the AP install on the car. With the newer firmware, the dongle will want to upgrade itself, which involves a couple of cycles of plugging and unplugging the unit. Instructions appear on the AP. Then the installation itself is quick; flashing a new map takes a while (first to save the existing one and then to flash the new one -- about 5 minutes altogether, as I recall).

4. After the "wedding" (i.e., the installation that marries the AP and the car), you'll find that there's lots more information and stuff you can do with the AP.

I'm at sea level and using the Stage 1 93 octane map with no issues. HPH

I just picked up the AP used from a member on here. He said that it was for his 2008 LGT and it had maps for his 2008. Mine is a 2007, so he said that I would need to download the 2007 maps off Cobb's website. It is the AP-SUB-003 AP.

Do I need to do what he is saying? Or shouldn't that AP have maps for both the 07 and 08?

Little bit confused right now. :spin:

Do you mean "flash back to stock mode"?

If that's the case, there should be an option or map on your AP that will allow you to put your car back to "stock mode" according to the mode on the AP.

Yes, but do I have to put the car into that test mode?

Little bit confused right now.

If you do the install as I described, it will recognize your car and give you the option of installing whatever appropriate maps are already on the AP. This will tell you if there are any or if you need to download some. HPH

Can anybody with the AP-SUB-003 Accessport that has an 07 confirm that the Accessport comes preloaded with the Cobb Maps for both 2007 and 2008 LGT's?

I believe that they run the same maps for both MY.

I have the same version AP. When I plugged in the AP calibrates for a couple seconds and then recognizes the car. You can then choose to upload the applicable Cobb map from there. If you are planning on running a map other than the Cobb OTS map then we have a slightly different story.

Good luck.

Great now it's saying Windows does not recognize the file, after I try downloading the Cobb Stage 1 Map. It is a Poly Tracker Module (PTM) file. Anyway I can open this file so it saves in my AccessPort Manager?

You don't double click on the map file to try to open it. You just import the PTM map file directly it into your map manager and from there you can upload it to your AP once connected to your computer via the USB. But really you should not have to do this since the AP your getting should have all the basic stage 1 and stage 2 maps preloaded from Cobb for 07/08's right on it. The only time you would do that is if you have a custom map provided by a vendor that would need to be uploaded.

Be careful with the K&N intake your car will run leaner. You can always get a custom map from tuner that accounts for the K&N intake to maximize performance.

The guy that sold it to me said: "You will need to download the Accessport manager software off Cobb’s website and download all the maps you want for your car. The AP I am sending you currently only has maps for a 2008 LGT."

But the Cobb Map's for the 2007 should be on there right????

You don't double click on the map file to try to open it. You just import the PTM map file directly it into your map manager and from there you can upload it to your AP once connected to your computer via the USB. But really you should not have to do this since the AP your getting should have all the basic stage 1 and stage 2 maps preloaded from Cobb for 07/08's right on it. The only time you would do that is if you have a custom map provided by a vendor that would need to be uploaded.

Be careful with the K&N intake your car will run leaner. You can always get a custom map from tuner that accounts for the K&N intake to maximize performance.

Just a panel filter will make it run lean?

I mean, I don't have a custom map right now....in the very near future I will.

I should be safe to run COBB stage 1 93 OTS map with my K&N drop-in panel filter for a little while? Will it possibly give me a CEL?

Archived