LegacyGT.com

pre purchase ???

Hello fellow lgt owners. Im planning on upgrading my 98 lgt wagon for an Automatic 2005 lgt wagon. The 05 lgt has 200k on it and the previous owner claims that head gasket, timing belt, water pump, turbo and spark plugs were changed within the last 30k. What should i be on the look out for before purchasing this car?

Other than wheel bearing and up pipe, No, maybe the front passenger axle and banjo filter bolt but just your usual used car check list like leaks, odd noises, body repair/rust etc

What turbo did they replace it with?

If you do buy it, go get all new fresh fluids.

They replaced it with another vf40 turbo. The car runs good and sounds fine, however there is a strong smell of gas which i didnt see any visible leaks. also the whole 30 mins i was inspecting the car, the cooling fans were on, could it be the car just needs a thermostat?

Fans should only come on for a brief sec or so only, I've never had mine come on for more than 1 minute even after long road trips/idling. On and off but not the whole time

Smell of gas, is it stock? The down pipe should be the original one with the name subaru on the side that you could clearly read from the right side with the hood open

Did he/she say why the turbo and head gasket was replaced? Timing belt, water pump etc is good but head gasket and turbo?

It sounds like a decent car but I say keep looking but then again I don't know what to say as I'm not there. It's up to you but at least ask why those were replaced if you do decide to buy it

Fans should only come on for a brief sec or so only, I've never had mine come on for more than 1 minute even after long road trips/idling. On and off but not the whole time

Smell of gas, is it stock? The down pipe should be the original one with the name subaru on the side that you could clearly read from the right side with the hood open

Did he/she say why the turbo and head gasket was replaced? Timing belt, water pump etc is good but head gasket and turbo?

It sounds like a decent car but I say keep looking but then again I don't know what to say as I'm not there. It's up to you but at least ask why those were replaced if you do decide to buy it

thanks for the quick reply, the car is completely stock. the owner said the car overheated 1 day and his mechanic said the head gasket was leaking, upon fixing that, they realized the turbo was going bad, so that was replaced too!

This should reference the fan issue...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cooling-fan-relay-issue-now-recall-campaign-55332.html?t=55332

A place to start if nothing else.

Car is an automatic so i dont believe this applies.

Archived