Opie

Bulletin Number: WVB-12

Date: Feb. 2007 Page

SERVICE PROGRAM BULLETIN

NUMBER: WVB-12 DATE: February 2007

APPLICABILITY: 2005 - 2006 MY Subaru Legacy/ Outback 2.5L M/T Turbo

SUBJECT: Radiator Cooling Fan Relay #2

introduction

Subaru of America, Inc. (SOA) has determined that certain 2005-06 MY Subaru Legacy / Outback 2.5L M/T Turbo models require Radiator Cooling Fan Relay #2 replacement.

The original Radiator Cooling Fan Relay #2 installed on affected vehicles may create an electrical surge to the radiator cooling fan circuit within the Engine Control Module (ECM). The electrical surge may damage the ECM cooling fan circuit and cause the radiator cooling fan to run continuously whenever the engine is running.

This service program will involve replacement of the Radiator Cooling Fan Relay 2. It will also involve checking the ECM radiator cooling fan circuit for proper operation. If it is determined that the ECM radiator cooling fan circuit has been damaged, replacement of the ECM will also be necessary.

AFFECTED VEHICLES

• 2005~2006MY Subaru 2.5L M/T Turbo Legacy & Outback

Potentially affected vehicles are identified in the VIN range chart below. Not all vehicles within the VIN range are affected. Prior to performing repairs, confirm coverage for potentially affected vehicles by using the Vehicle Coverage Inquiry in the Dealer Communication System (DCS).

YEAR

Model

From

To

2005MY

Outback 2.5L M/T Turbo

4S4BP6*C*56300033

Legacy Sedan 2.5L M/T Turbo

4S3BL6*6*56200004

Legacy Wagon 2.5L M/T Turbo

4S3BP6*6*56300005

2006MY

Outback 2.5L M/T Turbo

4S4BP6*C*66300097

Legacy Sedan 2.5L M/T Turbo

4S3BL6*6*66200007

Legacy Wagon 2.5L M/T Turbo

4S3BP6*6*66300013

Note: Various characters may occupy the VIN position identified with "*".

CAUTION: VEHICLE SERVICING PERFORMED BY UNTRAINED PERSONS COULDRESULT IN SERIOUS INJURY TO THOSE PERSONS OR TO OTHERS.

Subaru Service Bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians ONLY. They are written to inform those technicians of conditions that may occur in some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper servicing of the vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do the job correctly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that this Service Bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition.

PROUD PARTNER

Page Bulletin Number: WVB-12; Date: Feb. 2007

OWNER NOTIFICATION

SOA will prepare and mail Owner Notification Letters to owners of affected vehicles on or around March 2, 2007.

A copy of the Owner Notification Letter is included at the end of this bulletin.

DEALER PROGRAM RESPONSIBILITY

Dealers are to promptly service all vehicles subject to this service program at no charge to the vehicle owner regardless of mileage, age of the vehicle, or ownership.

For affected vehicles sold after the date on the dealer’s computer list, dealers are to contact those owners and provide them with a copy of the owner notification letter. They should also arrange to make the required correction according to the instructions in the service procedure section of this bulletin.

Dealers are also to promptly perform the applicable service procedures defined in this bulletin to correct all affected vehicles in their inventory (new, used, demo). Additionally, whenever a vehicle subject to this service program is taken into dealer new or used inventory, or is in the dealership for service, necessary steps should be taken to ensure the service program correction has been made before selling or releasing the vehicle.

PARTS INFORMATION

adiator Cooling Fan Relay #2

Model

Description

PartNumber

All

Radiator Cooling Fan Relay #2

82501AG120

Engine Control Module (ECM)

Note: ECM replacement is only necessary when it has been confirmed that the radiator cooling fan circuit is damaged. See the Service Procedure below for more details.

For vehicles requiring ECM replacement, the ECM should be ordered VOR 1-2 days. VOR freight charges may be submitted for reimbursement. See the Claims Submission section of this bulletin for claim entry instructions.

Model

scription

Number

2005MY Outback 2.5L M/T Turbo

ECM

22611AJ65E

2005MY Legacy Sedan / Wagon 2.5L M/T Turbo

ECM

22611AJ17E

2006MY Outback 2.5L M/T Turbo

ECM

22611AK47B

2006MY Legacy Wagon 2.5L M/T Turbo

ECM

22611AK45B

Service Campaign Procedure

There are two (2) steps involved in this Service Program repair procedure. Step 1 will involve replacement of the Radiator Cooling Fan Relay #2. Step 2 will involve checking the cooling fan circuit of the ECM for proper operation.

STEP 1

Replace the Radiator Cooling Fan Relay #2 as follows:

1) Turn the ignition switch to the "Off" position.

2) Open the hood and locate the main fuse box. Remove the fuse box cover.

3) Locate the "Radiator Cooling Fan Relay #2" as pictured below.

4) Carefully remove the relay.

5) Install a new Radiator Cooling Fan Relay #2.

6) Replace the main fuse box cover.

Radiator Cooling Fan Relay #2

STEP 2

Verify the cooling fan circuit of the ECM is operating properly as follows:

1) Ensure the HVAC system is turned to the "OFF" position.

2) Ensure the engine coolant temperature is below 196˚F. This can be done by checking the engine temperature gauge on the vehicle’s instrument cluster. Confirm the temperature gauge reading is below normal operating temperature – the needle should be between the "C" (cold) and the first gauge mark.

First Gauge Mark

Page Bulletin Number: WVB-12; Date: Feb. 2007

• If the temperature is above the first gauge mark, allow the engine to cool until it

reaches at or below the first gauge mark.

• If the temperature is below the first gauge mark, proceed to step 3.

3) Start vehicle. Verify the radiator cooling fan does not turn on and stay on.

• If the fan does not turn on, the ECM is operating properly and no further

action is necessary.

• If the fan is on, the ECM will require replacement. See the applicable service

manual for details. For vehicles requiring ECM replacement, the ECM should be ordered VOR standard 1-2 days. VOR freight charges may be submitted for reimbursement. See the Claims Submission section of this bulletin for claim entry instructions.

NOTE: The ECM is only to be changed when the radiator cooling fan is verified as running all of the time when the engine is running. Otherwise only radiator cooling fan relay #2 replacement is required.

Gray DotReference # RC-5101

Updated Radiator Cooling Fan Relay #2 (Above) – The updated relay has a gray dot for easy identification; also the reference # has been changed to read, "RC-5101". The original relay has a different reference # and no gray dot.

RENTAL CAR

For retail customers, SOA will pay the cost of a one-day car rental when an affected vehicle requires ECM replacement provided the part is ordered VOR Standard 1-2 days.

The one-day car rental charges may be included with the Recall/Campaign claim submission. See the Claim Submission section of this bulletin for claim entry instructions.

continued...

Bulletin Number: WVB-12; Date: Feb. 2007 Page

SERVICE PROGRAM IDENTIFICATIONLABEL

Type or print the necessary information on a Service Program identification label. The completed label should be attached to the vehicle’s upper radiator support.

Additional labels are available through the Customer Dealer Services Department (CDS) at

1-866- 782-2782.

WVB-12

CLAIM REIMBURSEMENTANDENTRY PROCEDURES

Credit to perform this Service Program will be based on the submission of properly completed repair order information. Dealers may enter the applicable claim information through their Dealer Communications System.

ClaimType

CampaignCode

Labor

borOperation

RC

WVB-12

B181-688

Replace Radiator Cooling Fan Relay #2. Inspect ECM Fan Circuit Operation

C181-681

Replace ECM - Includes immobilizer key registration.

For vehicles requiring ECM replacement only:

Rental Car Charges: If applicable, rental car charges should be entered on the RC claim in the rental field.

VORFreight: If applicable, VOR standard 1-2 days freight charges should be submitted on the RC claim as a sublet. Freight charges must not exceed actual dealer cost which is 5% of dealer cost for the part.

continued...

Owner Notification Letter

Subaru of America, Inc.

Subaru Plaza

P.O. Box 6000

Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-6000

www.subaru.com

Service Program WVB-12

Radiator Cooling Fan Relay 2 March 2007

Dear Subaru Owner:

We would like to thank you for selecting a 2005 or 2006 Subaru Legacy or Outback with a 2.5 Liter turbo charged engine equipped with a manual transmission. At Subaru, we take pride in our products and are committed to your continued satisfaction. During a quality review, we discovered that the radiator cooling fan relay installed on your vehicle may not function as intended. The relay can produce an electrical surge that may adversely affect a circuit within the vehicle’s Engine Control Module (ECM). If left uncorrected, this condition may damage the ECM causing the radiator cooling fan to operate continuously whenever the engine is running. As a corrective action, Subaru has developed a newly designed replacement radiator cooling fan relay. Once the new relay has been installed, there will no longer be a risk of damage to your vehicle’s ECM.

WHAT WE ARE ASKING YOU TO DO PROMPTLY

We suggest that you schedule an appointment with your Subaru Dealer as soon as possible to have the radiator cooling fan relay replaced. The new relay will prevent Engine Control Module (ECM) damage from occurring. Your Dealer will also inspect the affected ECM circuit and replace the ECM if it is found to be damaged. Your Subaru dealer will perform all repairs needed under this program at no cost to you. The approximate time to replace the relay is 15 minutes. If ECM replacement is also required, the total repair time will be about 30 minutes. However, it may be necessary for you to leave your car for a longer period on the day of your scheduled appointment to allow your dealer flexibility in scheduling other appointments. If it is determined that the ECM requires replacement, it may be necessary for your dealer to order the part. The part will be ordered for next day delivery. If the part is not immediately available, Subaru will provide you with a free rental car for the time it takes to complete repairs.

Please present this letter to your Subaru Dealer on the day of your service appointment.

continued...

IF YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY PAID FOR A REPAIR

In the event that you have already paid for repairs associated with this condition, you may be eligible for reimbursement. The actual sum reimbursed will be equivalent to the amount Subaru of America would reimburse an authorized Subaru dealer in your area for replacement of the radiator cooling fan relay and the ECM if applicable.

Please send the original service repair order, which has complete information including the name of the repair facility, date of repair, mileage at the time of repair, complete vehicle identification number (17 digits), and your name, with correct mailing address and telephone number to the address listed below.

Subaru of America, Inc.

Customer Dealer Service Department

Attention: Service Program WVB-12

P.O. Box 6000

Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-6000

Please send original receipts only and retain a photocopy for your records. Please be assured that we will attempt to process your reimbursement request as quickly as possible, but may take up to 60 days for this process to be completed.

CHANGED YOUR ADDRESS OR SOLD YOUR SUBARU?

If you have changed your address, or if you have sold your Subaru, please complete the enclosed prepaid postcard and mail it to us.

IF YOU NEED FURTHER ASSISTANCE

To locate your nearest Subaru Dealer, you can access our web site at www.Subaru.com and go to the dealer locator function. Or, you may call us at 1-800SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783) during normal business hours. Please call or write (using the address at the top of this letter) us immediately if the dealer fails or is unable to complete this procedure free of charge.

Your continued satisfaction with Subaru is important to us. This update is intended to assure your vehicle’s optimal performance. We appreciate your understanding in this matter and regret any inconvenience this may cause you.

Sincerely,

Subaru of America, Inc.

Notice to Lessors

The lessor of a vehicle who receives this letter is requested to provide a copy of it to the vehicle lessee(s) within 10 business days from receipt. The lessor should also keep a record of the lessee(s) to whom this letter is sent, the date sent, and the applicable vehicle identification number (VIN). (For the purposes of this section, a lessor means a person or entity that in the last twelve months prior to the date of this notification has been the owner, as referenced on the vehicle’s title, of any five or more leased vehicles. A leased vehicle is a vehicle leased to another person for a term of at least four months.)

A subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd.

As it states letters will be mailed to owners soon, until then dealers may not have the parts necessary to complete the campaign so check with your dealer.

Edited by Opie

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the info so to be clear if my fans are not running with a cold engine then just the fan relay gets replaced and i'm on my way but if the fans run when engine is cold then i have to have the ECM and fan relay replaced? bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

thanks for the info so to be clear if my fans are not running with a cold engine then just the fan relay gets replaced and i'm on my way but if the fans run when engine is cold then i have to have the ECM and fan relay replaced? bosco

Correct, every car affected by the campaign will get a new relay, only the cars actually having a cooling fan issue will get a new ECM

Correct, every car affected by the campaign will get a new relay, only the cars actually having a cooling fan issue will get a new ECM

Thank you Opie!!!!!!

I had the ECM replaced once. This was before the new relay came out. Ever since, I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop.

If I understand this, SoA isn't going to send me a letter, Lee Subaru will? I think I might just make an appointment in a few weeks on my own accord :D

Good to know.

I lived with the faulty cooling fan relay for TWO YEARS before the dealership noticed the problem when in the the 24K service and asked to fix it under warranty.

Damn, the car practically purrs like a Bentley now... instead of a tractor.

Made sticky. I am un-sticking the original thread

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40207 see that thread for the original TSB and the part number of th relay if your fans have not already started running all of the time. It is a quick 5 minute fix with a $10 part for those of you who don't want to go to the dealer. Of course I recommend taking your car to the dealer to have them fill it up with gas whenever you need it ;) , but some people feel differently.

The part number for the relay is 82501AG120 and the old thread has pictures to show you want to do, if you so choose.

Either way if your car falls within the applicable VIN ranges get it fixed; once the fans start to say on all of the time it is too late and your ECU needs to be replaced.

Going up tomorrow, parts are in at the local dealer. Gonna get some wipers out of them to boot.

As far as doing it myself, it is damn easy. But I am uneasy about replacing a relay that when bad can fry a ECM circuit controlling it. Don't wanna have to fight with a dealer down the road if for some reason the new one fries it as well, hehe.

Negative side is they can screw something up, seems to always happen. Since there really is only two steps in the process, I hope I am lucky. :D

Damn straight I'll be out in the parking lot checking the fuses and making sure the cover is secured, hehe.

-B

PS Getting all three wipers replaced to boot. Nice that it isn't considered a wear item. Surprised actually.

Made sticky. I am un-sticking the original thread

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40207 see that thread for the original TSB and the part number of th relay if your fans have not already started running all of the time. It is a quick 5 minute fix with a $10 part for those of you who don't want to go to the dealer. Of course I recommend taking your car to the dealer to have them fill it up with gas whenever you need it ;) , but some people feel differently.

The part number for the relay is 82501AG120 and the old thread has pictures to show you want to do, if you so choose.

Either way if your car falls within the applicable VIN ranges get it fixed; once the fans start to say on all of the time it is too late and your ECU needs to be replaced.

I want to go to the dealer, but no way in hell I'm waiting for 2 hours for a $10 relay that's as hard to change as the batteries in my camera. If I can't talk them into just giving me the relay or doing it in the parking lot, I guess I'm paying $10. And I bet those shady bastards will still bill Subaru for the time and the part....

Just got my NEON pink postcard from Subaru in the mail today. Its ironic that my car is already at the dealer for an unrelated issue. I'll call them tomorrow and remind them to replace the relay as I'm confident their left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.:icon_bigg
ignore him, he'll go away.

So if I bring my car in, I'll have to unmarry the AP, right? I have the resistor fix in for the EGT but have a crucial up and down pipe. Will I throw a CEL. I guess they'd have to be complete morons to miss the up pipe when the hood is open but I'd still like to try to quietly slip in under the radar.

So if I bring my car in, I'll have to unmarry the AP, right? I have the resistor fix in for the EGT but have a crucial up and down pipe. Will I throw a CEL. I guess they'd have to be complete morons to miss the up pipe when the hood is open but I'd still like to try to quietly slip in under the radar.

It's obvious if your ECU is bad and needs to be replaced. If the radiator fan runs constantly while the car is warming up, its toast. That's the test outlined in the TSB. So if you fan isn't running, you can leave the AP married, they will replace the relay, verify your fan isn't running, case closed.

ignore him, he'll go away.