LegacyGT.com

Radio is on but has no sound

If your car has the amp, it will ba a black box under the passenger seat. You can see it by moving the passenger seat forward and looking in from the rear seat.

The wiring for it goes in in the front, which makes me think that someone may have shoved something under the seat from the front and knocked a wire loose there. Move the seat all the way back and use a flashlight to check the connections there.

IMG_8277-1.thumb.JPG.58326649f9b7d6f4d9c9d2245d728590.JPG

IMG_8278-1.thumb.jpg.d2345e028112b6239856ecaf6da45c82.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
This happened to me. At first the radio would cut in after 5-10min into the drive. It did this about 5 times now just nothing. I checked the fuses, I tried to reboot it by disconnecting battery. I just bought a second car for the wife so money is tight now and would rather fix than replace. Someplace I saw a pin readout chart for the HK amp so it looks like my next step is to bust out the multi-meter, pull the passenger seat and check the pins.

sometimes a bad, shorted out or grounded speaker or speaker wire can cause this issue. you can try shutting the radio off or disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it or turning the radio back on and listening for a pop or click or some weird sound to come from one of the speakers. if this is the case I would disconnect the speaker and turn the radio back on and see if all the other speakers work. the radio could be shutting down the audio output to protect itself from damage. if you have the factory amplifier a fuse could be blown for it or it could be doing the same thing or be bad.

When it was coming back it would come back with full sound from all the speakers. I will check them though and see if it is a short. It would be good if it was something like that and easy to fix rather than the amp or HU. I will have to check them this weekend. The disconnecting the battery does nothing for me the radio never comes out of protected mode if that is what is going on.

If a speaker has gone bad as a result of this possible short would it be best to just get good cheap aftermarket speakers rather than a new OEM one? Or would that HK amp and settings make the aftermarket sound bad?

if all your speakers come back on and sound normal I would suspect the amp 1st and maybe the headunit 2nd. you can replace with aftermarket speakers. the hk amp more then likely won't notice the diiference "load" wise.

• 6 years later...

Hello all. I have a 2003 Subaru legacy L sedan i had bought it for my wife. When you turn the key on or start the car the radio powers on an EVERYTHING on the radio works as it should but has ABSOLUTELY no sound. I do not have the amp under the seat. I have unhooked the radio from the harness an reconnected it more then once. I have unhooked the battery more then once an nothing. I have check every fuse and every wire an ALL is good. What else could it be??

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

Your speakers are disconnected or there is a short with one of them. Pull your door panels off and check the speaker connections one of them is probably disconnected/touching something it shouldn't.

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here