LegacyGT.com

Cooling Fan Relay Issue now a recall campaign

Opie

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had my ECU replaced TWICE now, last time was 11 months ago. Guess what...cooling fan ON all the time again...took it to the dealer, they diagnosed it as a fried ECU (my THIRD one).

As in the past, they have tried to blame it on my AccessPort reflash, but I've not married my Cobb to it since the last ECU was installed. Then they tried to blame it on some other mods I've done, but agreed it could not have been the HID lights. Now the issue is being taken to Subaru Canada to see if they will replace it under warranty.

My 05 is out of it's official warranty, but I've read in this thread that:

a) there may be a 12 months part warranty

b) there may be an 8 year emissions warranty that is still in effect.

Assuming the worst, that Subaru Canada will ignore my problem, has anyone ever fixed a fried ECU? Failing that, shouldn't take much to make a custom outboard circuit that uses the same inputs to decide when to turn the cooling fan on or off. I just can't see myself paying $1300+ to get this fixed.

I moved from Audi to Subaru so to escape many reliability issues, but now, 5+ years into Subaru ownership, it's not any better than my Audis ever were. :mad:

• 1 month later...

The Spec b I'm looking at at carmax seems to have this issue.

So my question is: Has any physical harm been caused to the car from the fans running all of the time? I don't know how long it has had this problem, however the car only has 34k on it. Once the relay and ECU are changed will it be good as new?

Edited by fx4me

• 3 months later...
looks like mine is running all the time now. would be no problem to get it swapped but i live on an island w/o a dealership. it's like 20-40 degrees here, can i pull the fuse and keep the fans from running to buy time till i can get it fixed?

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2004 STI and am having the issue of the main cooling fan running constantly only when I turn the car off, when the car is on it operates like normal, but when turned off it runs until the battery dies.

I have been running around in circles trying to figure out what is wrong with it.

• 2 weeks later...

For the gentlemen on Kodiak Island, you can just order the new relay and replace it yourself very easily. Chances are your ECU is fine to drive for now, but then later when you get a chance to take the car to a dealer you can have the ECU replaced per the TSB. If you keep your receipt for the Relay then the dealership should even reimburse that cost for you.

From the beginning of this thread:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40207 see that thread for the original TSB and the part number of th relay if your fans have not already started running all of the time. It is a quick 5 minute fix with a $10 part for those of you who don't want to go to the dealer. Of course I recommend taking your car to the dealer to have them fill it up with gas whenever you need it ;) , but some people feel differently.

The part number for the relay is 82501AG120 and the old thread has pictures to show you want to do, if you so choose.

Either way if your car falls within the applicable VIN ranges get it fixed; once the fans start to say on all of the time it is too late and your ECU needs to be replaced.

Might have to search this thread some more to confirm that 82501AG120 is the correct, current part number for the new relay; I tried a couple of online vendors and couldn't find it using that P/N, so maybe it has changed again..?

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest PeteAWD
Hello all, I have an 05' LGT EAT. I called Subaru on this before and they said this is not an affected vehicle. It just doesn't seem right. All EAT OWNERS with yout AC on warm weather do both of your fans keep cycling on and off about every 20 seconds? You relay on off. Thanks

Well, there is a range of VIN #'s that are affected. I'd say take your car to a dealer (maybe a different one, if the one you talked to before doesn't seem helpful), and have them pull up & print out TSB 09-43-06R for you. Then compare your VIN to the ones listed on the TSB. If yours falls into that range, then they have no choice but to fix it for you.

EDIT: Actually, I guess this is a Recall Campaign now, so ask to see WVB-12.

Ling to TSB: http://www.scoobymods.com/tsb-09-43-06r-t7230.html

Edited by Scooter

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have this same exact problem. Took it to the dealer but won't do shit about it because I have an Auto.

My mechanic says it's the same exact issue... shitty relay melted and fused and the ECM won't ground on the coil side of relay.

Call SOA, Lagacy GT - replace the relay your self, take it in and note that the ECM is 'acting up', they'll see the issue and should warranty it, if not call SOA.

Winning the internet

I called SOA and they said all my warranties expired (05 LGT with 106k miles).

I replaced the relay but CEL light and cruise light still on and one of the fans won't kick in. Mechanic says it's because of the ECM.

He tried to find one at a junkyard but couldn't.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice,

They're actually really easy to replace, they reside right below the passenger foot well, just pull the carpet back and you'll see panel for it, regarding cloning it over though - I'm not sure if anything special has to actually happen.

Winning the internet

• 1 month later...
I have a Stage II LGT and my fan runs constantly - has for a few months now but never really noticed since it's been pretty hot out until recently. What's the chances that a) my ECU is damaged and b) they will deny my claim because of my modifications? Edited by ConeEluder

If the fan is on the second you start the car, and you have your A/C off, then yes, likely the relay issue

a) Yes, good chance

b) No

Sounds like my issue. If I fix this myself, how can I tell if the ECU is fried or not?

Also, since I'm currently running an AccessPort - I'm assuming I'll need to unmarry it before they change the ECU then reflash once I get it back. I'm slightly worried that they'll try to blame it on the AP.

Edit: Read through the thread and believe I have my answer. Ugh.

Edited by ConeEluder

Sounds like my issue. If I fix this myself, how can I tell if the ECU is fried or not?

Replace the relay, chances are the fan will continue to run

Also, since I'm currently running an AccessPort - I'm assuming I'll need to unmarry it before they change the ECU then reflash once I get it back. I'm slightly worried that they'll try to blame it on the AP.

Nah they won't. In fact, when I had the issue I took it in, told them to CALL ME before they did ANYTHING short of basic diagnostic work, knowing full well that I would have to unmarry the AP from the ECM.

Next the stupid dealership didn't call me, replaced the ECM, and had to reinstall the bad ECM for me to unmarry the AP, then reinstall the good ECM again.

Edit: Read through the thread and believe I have my answer. Ugh.

*nods*

Winning the internet

• 2 weeks later...

So my fans are running again, I call the Subaru dealer where I'm living now to check on this again.

Looks like my relay was never changed to the new one, part number is RC-5103. I understand the new one should be -5101. If it was replaced, it was replaced with the same faulty one.

Now the dealer I'm working with doesn't want to have anything to do with fixing the recall screwup.