LegacyGT.com

Clunk after a rear wheel bearing install

fuggers

So recently I was traveling away from home and the rear wheel bearing made some horrendous sounds, enough for me to take it to the dealership in Spokane. I knew I needed a new RWB anyways but it degraded very rapidly on this trip. I ended up taking it to a Subaru mechanic in the valley after hearing what the dealership wanted to charge me for something I'm pretty sure I could do myself.

So now I get home from this trip, about 2k miles, roll down the window and hear some clunking when I go over cracks or uneven spots in the road. Definitely from the right rear. First thing I though was the strut or the endlinks because my wagon now has 105k miles. However, I can't see anything wrong back there. The weirdest part is that if I have my foot on the brake, even ever so lightly, it won't clunk. The caliper seems a bit loose and I can wiggle it around, but I can do that on the other side too. Any suggestions as to what I can look for now? Every bolt I could touch or see was tight.

Of note, when I pulled the rim off I could easily wiggle the rotor towards and away from me. I just thought this was because it had recently been separated for the RWB.

Thanks guys!

I don't think you should be able to move the rotor like that, I've never tried. Have you tried the other side ?

Ride in the back seat and see if you can hear anything.

I don't think you should be able to move the caliper either.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The bolts on the caliper were as tight as they could be. I know the pads are due for a replacement. When the rain stops I'll pull the other side off. It did seem weird that I could wiggle the rotor but I couldn't think of what would hold it down tight aside from the rim/lugnuts

• 2 weeks later...
I figured I might as well update this. The mechanic forgot to put the shim back on the rear brake caliper so when it got low enough the pad was rattling around inside the caliper.

Archived