LegacyGT.com

all season tires

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Continental ExtremeContact DWS.

It's currently TireRack's #1 rated All-Season tire. I have them in the stock size of 205/50/17.

Zero complaints except for the soft sidewalls. It's an easy fix though, just bump up the tire pressure. I run them at 38 psi.

I'm really happy with my Pilot Sport A/S+.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

'All weather' / 'all-season' tyres are the worst of both worlds.

The are a compromise, no more and no less.

Compared to a modern summertyre they are last in the row of outcome.

And on snow, although better than a summertyre, they loose big time compared to a snowtyre.

Most people buy them cause it's cheaper, but that depends how you look at it.

All-season tyres wear out faster than summertyres, especially in the summer.

Changing tyres also spare the ones in the attic, so they last a lot longer.

I like my Toyo Proxes 4's. A really good mix of decent performance in the dry and wet, and still work in the snow. Way better than stock in every way. I paid just over 100 bucks/tire. I've flogged them at the track a few times and they tolerated that well. I didn't have the heart (or bank account) to pay 200 bucks for a tire then leave half of them at the track in a weekend.

'Decent' perfomance is something else than 'good', let alone 'great' or 'superior'.

And together with 'And still work in the snow' is exactly my point.

It's never ideal.

Life is a compromise....a Subaru legacy tries to be a sports car and family car and for many of us a track car. It's driven in snow, in summer weather, cities, highway, country roads, dirt roads... If the car can do all those tasks acceptably, then shouldn't the tires? Mine do, and very well.

Maybe instead of buying multiple sets of tires for the same car to perform different tasks, we should all buy a 911 Carrera for the summer dry weather, a Cadillac sedan for highway trips, a Prius for around town trips, an SUV for family vacations in the winter, a conversion van for family vacations in the summer, a truck for yard work, a Ferrari for the track?... You would never need to change tires then and you'd never have to compromise at all....

You have to draw the line somewhere. We're not talking about putting all season tires on a Ferrari here...

'All weather' / 'all-season' tyres are the worst of both worlds.

The are a compromise, no more and no less.

Compared to a modern summertyre they are last in the row of outcome.

And on snow, although better than a summertyre, they loose big time compared to a snowtyre.

Most people buy them cause it's cheaper, but that depends how you look at it.

All-season tyres wear out faster than summertyres, especially in the summer.

Changing tyres also spare the ones in the attic, so they last a lot longer.

I agree with you 100%, but I always like to play devil's advocate. What if the OP lives in an area where the winters are pretty mild, or doesn't want to deal with having a second set of wheels, or paying for the repeated change overs on factory wheels, etc.

I'm a big advocate of telling people to buy summer tires and have a dedicated set of winters, but this can be a real pain. There's the price of two sets. You say that summer tires last longer, but they don't always. I can get about 13-16,000 miles out of my summer tires, and can usually get two seasons out of my winters (I drive about 30K a year.) I've put over 30,000 on pairs of all-seasons before they needed replacement. Mind you I will not touch all-seasons anymore. At the end of the day dedicated summer tires will wear quickly because of their soft treads, look at their UTQG rating. The same applies to the super soft, pliable compounds on winter tires.

You also have to deal with those "change-over" conditions. The point where it's getting colder at night, but warm during the day. The summer tires begins to compromise grip and stability in this weather. Then you have those unusually warm days as winter is ending. The snow tires get very squirmy on these days.

Anyway, I'm just ranting. I myself switch between winter and summer tires, but it seems like the OP wants all-seasons. I've heard some excellent things about the ExtremeContact DWS. I had the first version of them on my GTI and they were excellent as fat as all-seasons go. I also recommended them to a buddy of mine for his car.

Na, that would be a bit silly eh. :p

Lets end the 'discussion' with the fact I have shitloads of experience in rallydriving to convince myself to choose snowtyres on snow. ;)

And very few people here would suggest going rallydriving on snow without snow tires. I've done the same before as well (in Canada), and the first people in the ditch were the noobs driving WRXs with all seasons (no one could believe they brought all seasons to a winter rally..)..

I'm not sure what the climate is like in your part of Holland - when I lived in Germany as a child, we had one or two bad winters, but mostly mild (North Rhine/Westphalia). And my dad still had separate summer/winter tires (some studded).

Now that I live in Northern California (near SF), unless I INTENTIONALLY drive TO the snow (i.e. up in the mountains), there is NO SNOW HERE, PERIOD. The worst weather is heavy rain. And, of course, lots and lots of sun. And the roads are, in general, bad. VERY bad. Worse than Ontario, somewhat better than Detroit (IMHO). If I was to drive 19" 225-35-19 or whatever, I'd probably bend one wheel per year. And, although I'd have "ultimate" traction, on my daily commute to and from work, there's very little opportunity to push my tires (Michelin Pilot Sport AS). I doubt I ever get to 9/10s of grip on my tires unless I floor it out of a turn in the rain.

And they last WAY LONGER than summer tires. I would just be WASTING all that extra grip..

Guys, let's get back on topic. The OP didn't ask whether it's better to have A/S tires or separate summer/winter combo. He asked for A/S tire recommendations.

I'd recommend going with Sumitomo HTR A/S P01. They were recommended in consumer reports and have been getting good reviews.

I went with these a little over a month ago and have been very happy with the results.

My LGT is lowered with Konis and pinks and I previously had Falken ziex 512's installed. With the new Sumis, the car rides so much smoother and imperfections in the road are much less noticeable. Handling has also improved both in the rain and on dry roads. I can't comment on how well they are in the snow as we have yet to see any this year in NJ. Also, they are right around $100/ tire.

Guys, let's get back on topic. The OP didn't ask whether it's better to have A/S tires or separate summer/winter combo. He asked for A/S tire recommendations.

I'd recommend going with Sumitomo HTR A/S P01. They were recommended in consumer reports and have been getting good reviews.

Just as a counterpoint.. They came in 4th out of 4 tires in a Tire Rack test:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=134

As mentioned above: I'm very happy with Michelin Pilot All Season (I don't have the + because they weren't around when I bought these, but that's most likely what I'll get this time around). They do cost around $160/tire though.

Na, that would be a bit silly eh. :p

Lets end the 'discussion' with the fact I have shitloads of experience in rallydriving to convince myself to choose snowtyres on snow. ;)

Who the f+++ cares what your rallydriving ex. is.

We are talking U.S roads and A/S tires.

Take your arrogance elsewhere troll. Go away.:spin:

to the OP.

I like my Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Stick better than stock in dry and wet by far. Only had them in the snow once and they worked good enough for me (keep the speed below 20mph around corners...or stay on the gas and have some fun).

I did hit a patch of black ice the other day that put the car sideways going ~40mph on a dark curvey road. Once the black ice was gone though the tires regained whatever traction they could and I somehow managed to keep the car on the road.

Continental ExtremeContact DWS.

It's currently TireRack's #1 rated All-Season tire. I have them in the stock size of 205/50/17.

Zero complaints except for the soft sidewalls. It's an easy fix though, just bump up the tire pressure. I run them at 38 psi.

This! I LOVE mine. Amazing in snow for an all season.

"This is an adventure."

thank you all so much for all of your opinions. i have decided to go with the conti extremes dws. mounted and balanced for $145.i live on long island ny and winters here are hit or miss, although the last two had a few serious accumulations.All i know is that the oem yokos really sucked. i picked up my car with 24000 miles on them and was so excited to drive my first awd car in the snow. needless to say what a let down. the car woUldnt hook up for shit. from a stand still with moderate acceleration the car would crab leg on a 45 degree angle.in rain it just hydro planes. the only time it stuck to the ground was in dry weather.(no complaints there).and now with 35,000 miles there isnt much left on them.im not a rally expert by far just like to push it here and there.as far as two sets of tires, i really cant be bothered with the switching around. with my luck old man winter would kick me in the nuts one last tim just as i switch back. apparetntly all these w, v rated tires are only gonna get 30,000 miles or so. thats about 3-4 years worth of driving for me . im gonna pick them up tomorrow and im like a kid on christmas....lololol. thanks again

Archived