LegacyGT.com

oil choice, i have searched

im experiencing a bit of oil usage running 5w 30 royal purple, going into winter would swapping to 10w30 or a 5w40 help prevent or perhaps limit my oil usage. i do like royal purple but im open for change. ran it on my last car, 98 GTP zero oil usage 107,xxx

I've heard EVOO works great in these cars.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

i usually use castrol gtx 5w-30 which is meant for turboed cars and meets all the standards on the oil cap, but ever since i started doing mods to it i just went to 10w30 gtx instead (higher rpms = more heat= thermal breakdown)

Continue to look over here too: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/clearing-up-all-oil-info-79800.html

At least you may get additional links/information to chew on.

As for modded cars - I would say going to a 5W40 is better than changing from a 5W30 to a 10W30 because changing to a 10W30 oil won't do any difference (or even make it worse) when the engine is warm.

453747.png

• 6 months later...
How do people even come up with this stuff?

by reading good sir, all of the ratings on the oil meet our cars specs and it clearly states for use in turbocharged cars but i was told by my tuner to use 10w40 because of the heat from the turbo causing thermal breakdown

^^^+1 Amsoil 0w-30 SSO & Ea oil filters. rolled over 168k. Run it all year round. http://legacygt.com/forums/../images/smilies/eek.gifhttp://legacygt.com/forums/../images/smilies/cool.gif My OCI avg.15k :eek::lol::) Running Cobb stage1 93 map, max boost is still 16.2psi. Original motor & turbo are running like new.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Just be aware that viscosity isn't related to thermal breakdown.

in a way its somewhat related, higher viscosity means thicker oil which in theory will have a lower thermal breakdown rate as compared to a lower viscosity ex which is easier to boil water or honey?:D

i usually use castrol gtx 5w-30 which is meant for turboed cars and meets all the standards on the oil cap, but ever since i started doing mods to it i just went to 10w30 gtx instead (higher rpms = more heat= thermal breakdown)

OMG, I can die now. thanks for the laughs.

in a way its somewhat related, higher viscosity means thicker oil which in theory will have a lower thermal breakdown rate as compared to a lower viscosity ex which is easier to boil water or honey?:D

Just because it boils doesn't necessarily means that it breaks down. Look at water - it's not breaking down into oxygen and hydrogen. The same goes for oil, but there are different types of oil - and even if it gets thinner when it's getting warmer one oil can go back to original state while another starts to reformulate itself when it gets heated. And that's not related to viscosity. You can have a thin oil that stands a very high temperature and a thick oil that starts to go really weird in lower temperatures.

453747.png

Viscosity and thermal breakdown are not related. Both are controlled with additives.

When I got my Spec B it had Royal Purple in it, I couldn't get it out fast enough. It's not what they advertise.

I also run Rotella 5w40 synthetic in everything, including lawn mowers and motorcycles.

Just because it boils doesn't necessarily means that it breaks down. Look at water - it's not breaking down into oxygen and hydrogen. The same goes for oil, but there are different types of oil - and even if it gets thinner when it's getting warmer one oil can go back to original state while another starts to reformulate itself when it gets heated. And that's not related to viscosity. You can have a thin oil that stands a very high temperature and a thick oil that starts to go really weird in lower temperatures.

learned something new today thanks for your input sir and as for theboostnazi glad to know i made someone laught today :icon_chee

Archived