LegacyGT.com

Roof rack on 2010 Legacy?

So, one of the reasons I chose the Subaru over other sedans was that I thought they all had roof racks available. I just picked up my 2010 Legacy and find that there's no factory rack and Thule/Yakima also don't have any non-permanent racks that fit it. I need the rack to haul around surfboards, bikes and snowboards, so unfortunately it's a pretty big necessity of mine.

I haven't been able to find any photos of the 2010 Legacy with a roof rack, has anyone done this? Can anyone recommend any specific brands or styles that would work or look better with the car?

Am I completely ruining my car by drilling into the roof to install a permanent roof rack? :eek:

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The car just came out. Give Thule and Yakima some time to design a system for them. The previous Gen Legacy did not come w/ an OEM roof rack either.

HAHA.... and we are already upgrading.....once the mod bug bites you, it is hard to recover...:p

HAHA.... and we are already upgrading.....once the mod bug bites you, it is hard to recover...:p

i concur, i am also in the market for the roof rack.. their websites have a section for the 2010's, but are still unavailable at the time i checked

Sorry if I sounded like I was complaining.. I guess I was a bit, but yeah, I should have really done my research. Either way I love the car and can't wait to take it up to the mountains this winter.

I emailed Thule and Yakima for an ETA and I'll post if/when I get a response. There are some rack shops out here that will do permanent installs - drilling into your roof and placing mounts for the roof rack towers.

i concur, i am also in the market for the roof rack.. their websites have a section for the 2010's, but are still unavailable at the time i checked

Where did you find that?

^^ I typed In roof rack in google and it too me to a site that had about 4 different types of manufacturers that make roof racks... Thule, Yakima, and 2 more; it took me to thier websites.

I muster checked again and they only have the outback tab( which was still unavailable)

Nice! Although apparently these Yakima towers are designed to fit most cars - looks like all they did was confirm that they fit the 2010 Legacy.

Thule still hasn't responded to my email so I'll probably be going w/ the Yakima rack.

• 1 month later...

some one asked about the roof rack on the pics thread, didnt want to get off topic...

the distance from bar to bar is 32 inches, and the q5 clips are needed to install them. and they seem to be leveled with on another so if one was to put a cargo box, i dont think it would put too much stress on the bars. all the info is on Yakima.com.

We just went to Rackattack (rackattack.com) near Boston with our new 2010 Legcy. Quote was about $800 for rails installed, towers, bars and locks + a ski rack.

The website has a bunch of videos with good images of all the different options.

Rackattack really wants us to come to them so they can get some photos for their website of a legacy with their stuff on it....which is fun. We're still shopping around to see if we will get the 4 points permanently affixed or if we get the track rails and the completely removeable thule or yakima accessories.

hmmmmmmmm - I just WANT an OEM version...

I actually looked under the black trim onthe roof and found nothing like what a WRX has to mount them. kinda dissapointed, but if they were to weld something on permanently to the car, I figure it will be too expensive. the Yakima system I have on mine works great so far.

Just installed my Yakima system today. It took about two hours or so. Pretty much the same setup that hangman's got. Q5 clips, towers, and all. A little bit of added road noise, but with the fairing it help cut down on any noises.

One pain though is that if you want to lock down the fairing, you have to get two separate lock adapters, then the lock cores, quickly adding up the $70 for the locking mechanism for a $70 part. At least I know that nothing's gonna get stolen when I go up to the mountain.

BRING THE SNOW!

I'll post some pix this week of the setup.

Just installed my Yakima system today. It took about two hours or so. Pretty much the same setup that hangman's got. Q5 clips, towers, and all. [...]

I'll post some pix this week of the setup.

Great- Looking forward to the pictures :) We are still deciding on our set up and can use all the visual aids possible.

We did get the trunk tray and remote starter installed....going down the checklist little by little.

Just the base rack. I won't be putting on my ski/snowboard attachment until I head up to the mountain next month, or even better maybe the end of this month :cool:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj314/floppsbigfeet89/utf-8BSU1HMDAwMzMtMjAwOTExMDItMTMyO.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj314/floppsbigfeet89/utf-8BSU1HMDAwMzQtMjAwOTExMDItMTMyO.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj314/floppsbigfeet89/utf-8BSU1HMDAwMzUtMjAwOTExMDItMTMyO.jpg

The sound isn't that noticeable. I drive with the stereo turned up a bit most of the time and don't hear any at all. But without the radio, you can hear a slight noise. Nothing louder than the existing road noise driving down the freeway though.

I got the same rack installed as well.. I can't use the fairing because I'm usually carrying surfboards on top and it would create too much lift under the boards. Without fairing, with just the bars, the noise was really bad at 65+. I put my surf pads on and it went down a lot. I've since realized that the rack only takes about 2 minutes to put on or take off, so I'm not going to put it on unless I'm going to the beach with my longboard. I'm sure the fairing helps a lot, or those teardrop-shaped deals you can stick on the bars would probably work well too.

Just a follow up note on the roof rack. If you're looking to get good fuel economy, don't drive with the rack on. It definitely affects the mileage on the freeway. Without it I was getting about 31 mpg at 65mph, and now with it on I'm looking at about 27 mpg. So once winter is over, it's coming off.

The re-install will be a piece of cake though, no big deal.

Note: This is with the 2.5 N/A CVT

Archived