Cooling Fan Relay Issue now a recall campaign

Opie

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

My car just had a ton of work done on it, most of it under warranty.

While doing the work, they discovered that the ECU that had been replaced as part of the recall, had failed. (IIRC, the original one never failed).

The failed one was just replaced under warranty.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
The relay on mine was replaced under the recall in 2008, but the fan is constantly on. Sounds like it was damaged before the relay was replaced. Hope my local dealer doesn't give me a hard time getting the ECU replaced.. like 158K miles on the car right now.

• 2 months later...

I've read this thread and have done searches, but haven't found confirmation on my issue resolution. As a few others have also experienced on their cars, my fan does NOT turn on with key on engine off, or after I start the car. It seems like it turns on when it needs to, but then never turns off (just started seeing this). If i key off, then start back up, fan is off again. I've done the relay replacement myself, but it did not fix the issue. Per the recall, the dealership will start the car when cold and if the fan is running, will replace the ECM. So in my case, they will see that the fan does NOT run after start up, and they won't order a new ECM for me.

For those that have had the same symptoms, could you confirm if the dealer did investigate further to see that the fan only turned on when reaching the temp threshold, but then did not turn off, then agreed to swap the ECM? And did that new ECM fix the problem?

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

ok so i have the blown relay issue... i was also wondering if this could cause about a 9 watt power leak if the ECU is shot because of it.

Also... do you think they'll replace it if the car is stage II or will they see my shinny

downpipe and blow the whistle?

Yes if the relay is toast you will experience about that much additional load. Also you should not have any issues with having the ecu replaced, just make sure you unmarry the AP prior to bringing it in, as you likely won't have a chance to do it after they've pulled it from the car.

Winning the internet

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

About to bring my 05 Outback XT in for the wheel bearing replacement and notified them of the fan running all the time as well. Computer shows no open recall on this since the previous owner had the relay replaced. Now with the fans running all the time its quite obvious the first replacement relay has gone bad again and now caused the computer to be damaged.

I will be very vocal about getting this replaced again(Im just over 80,000 miles) once they diagnose/confirm the problem on Monday. If rejected I will be recording a nice YouTube video on the issue and posting it on every forum I can find as well as on Twitter. I just will not take no for an answer for a recalled part that has failed again and no damaged the computer. This could get interesting and quite enjoyable. I'll post the results of my dealer visit next week.

In the meantime has anyone else been able to get Subaru to replace the parts twice??

grrr... so its happened to this car before... and they won't fix it again under the recall which i think is bull...

Yeah they should cover it, as the relay replacement was no guarantee against ECM failure due to overload. If anything you could claim they replaced it incorrectly which resulted in further issues later on (now)

Winning the internet

• 10 months later...
So I went in and after diagnosing it they said I need a new relay and ECM. They said since the parts were replaced in the past, and since the recall is so old, they will only cover half. Although I am happy for at least half, I still think it should be covered fully. What do you all think? Anyone go through a similar situation?
TTB Motorsports

• 1 month later...
I have a 2005 Legacy non turbo, so as I understand it is not under recall (went to the dialer to confirm), both fans are on all the time, replaced relay to rc-5101, they are still on, should I check cooling fan sensor, unplug it and see if they go off or not (if they don't go off replace sensor)

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Has anyone added a standalone PWM fan controller to deal with this issue? You'd still have one fan controlled by the ECM, but would sure be a) quieter and b) cheaper.

I just got quoted $1k parts only for an ECM replacement.