LegacyGT.com

My car has a smoking problem...

So I bought an 05 gt with 100k miles back in December, and its been giving off this white smoke from the hood after a few minutes of driving. At first it was just a little bit, barely noticeable. But now 8 months later it's progressively getting worse, and it's starting to worry me. I'm trying to figure out where its coming from but I can't figure it out.

All i know is that the smoke is coming from somewhere around the turbo/downpipe area. If I had to guess I would say its some kind of coolant leak, possibly to the tubo, because I go through coolant like crazy. I don't think it's an oil issue because my oil levels have been pretty steady for the last few months. If I'm right and its a coolant leak, how do I find it?

PS,

I posted a few months ago about this and came to the conclusion that it was the axle boot slinging grease onto the downpipe, but my boots are fine

I just did a rear main on a forrester xs for a similar issue because of rear main dripping down Trans onto y pipe. Also check passenger side valve cover for leak onto exhaust it doesn't take much oil but a few drops to make a puff cloud under the hood

Where in So Cal are you ?

m sprank has a shop there, http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/StoreFront contact him.

You may have a simple loose clamp on the turbo cooling line. Take a flash light and look around that area and see if its that simple. Just tighten the clamp.

You can remove that stupid plastic engine cover that covers things up so you can't see them. I removed mine 2 weeks after I bought the car back in Jun 04.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Dude get under the hood and look around. A coolant leak is nothing to mess around with. If you run low or out of coolant, you can burn up one of these motors pretty quick. The turbo will go fast.

Check the coolant supply pipe that bolts right to the turbo core, or one of the hoses to the coolant reservoir up there. That's my best guess from the interweb land...

Where in So Cal are you ?

m sprank has a shop there, http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/StoreFront contact him.

You may have a simple loose clamp on the turbo cooling line. Take a flash light and look around that area and see if its that simple. Just tighten the clamp.

You can remove that stupid plastic engine cover that covers things up so you can't see them. I removed mine 2 weeks after I bought the car back in Jun 04.

I'm in Orange County, around orange/Anaheim area

Just a note that stupid plastic cover provides a seal of the hood scoop to intercooler to make more effective and does have a purpose

Yes you are correct there, but 9 years later, and having sold mine years ago, it 's way to late to worry about that. Besides my IPR tmic has wear signs where the hood duct is touching it.

The very small amount of air that is getting by IMO is not worth worring about.

Orange County should be close to Mike.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

UPDATE:

I am stupid

Turns out it's an oil leak that's giving off the smoke. I'm pretty sure there is a slow leak dripping from the radiator down onto the hot exhaust. I took a look under the car and there is a ton of oil and buildup all around the downpipe and exhaust. I followed the oil all the way up to the edge of the radiator on top. So I figured the best thing to do was just clean up all the residue and junk off of everything and see if that helps, and see if it starts back where I think it does.

But now I'm confused as to why there is oil dripping from the edge of my radiator... possibly a bad head gasket?

Most likely its the valve cover gasket, these cars are known for that.

Before something happens, you should have it looked at my Mike at Infamous.

Most likely its the valve cover gasket, these cars are known for that.

Before something happens, you should have it looked at my Mike at Infamous.

Ya I'm starting the think this is beyond my ability to fix...

I just looked up infamous and it's in Escondido, which is about an hour away. Would it really be worth the drive to go to mike and not just some other shop?

Mike has the most knowledge of these cars in your area. He's someone your going to want to get to know.

Might be worth it to make a day trip out of it. See what's around his shop. You may find something to do while he has your car.

He is one of the "go to guy's" on the forum.

PM him and link him to this thread if you'd like.

My Tuner lives 7 miles from me. The dyno he uses is a 50 minute drive, I have no problem meeting him there when the need arises. You get more than what you pay for, when you build a relationship with these kind of guy's.

OK then....try this. Take your car into the garage, hook up your laptop and make the car watch this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Et28kBi1A]Stop it - Bob Newhart clip - YouTube[/ame]

I'll bet it will help........

:lol:

• 1 month later...

Archived