LegacyGT.com

Over boosting... a lot

Hey guys, i have a VF-52 turbo and a new block that over the past month i have been breaking in. I have a Cobb AP and it has been on the economy map so it makes the least boost possible. Once I was at a safe mileage, i started to get into it a bit. Economy is set at about 10 psi and during WOT thats about where it stayed. Tonight I was driving, it was VERY cold, about 0 degrees on the highway doing between 70-80 mph. WOT to make a pass and it hits 18 PSI :eek:... Im worried guys, could this all just be from the extreme cold?

Thanks

Cold will cause you to overboost, but that's quite a large overboost if you're maxing at 10 psi.

Are you running a catless downpipe? Aftermarket intake? Larger inlet hose? Tell us a a bit about your setup.

I'll only be able to help so much on this, but i'm asking all of these questions so that we can help resolve your issue.

2000 miles, wasnt a lot of WOT, just once or twice.

And that's fine, but, iirc, your last tune was for the old motor. If you're not gonna go Stage 2 anytime soon, go ahead and get a protune again. Go ahead and move up to Stage 1 OTS map while you're at it.

Will do. Was on stage 1 OTS map at one point also and it over boosted to about 18-19 psi as well.

Didn't you say you had a protune for the VF52 before the HG and new shortblock fiasco? You need to be using that tune. The OTS map isn't able to handle the extra oomph from the 52.

Yeah man, gotta tune for the turbo. Also, a three port wastegate solenoid can keep your turbo under control better and prevent you from overboosting. However those should never be run without a tune for the solenoid.

It's fine to break in that motor with a VF52 and OTS map just don't beat on it and keep your foot out of it. You didn't change your injector or intake diameter so it's ok to drive around on.

But seriously stop trying to hit boost until you can have a protune done or you may need another rebuild in the near future

It's fine to break in that motor with a VF52 and OTS map just don't beat on it and keep your foot out of it. You didn't change your injector or intake diameter so it's ok to drive around on.

But seriously stop trying to hit boost until you can have a protune done or you may need another rebuild in the near future

OP is a college kid. Not gonna happen. Car is also an AT -- it's in boost almost all the time whether you want it to be or not. We've already well established that the 52 needs a custom tune on these cars.

There are two ports on the turbo (one on the compressor housing and one on the wastegate actuator) which are connected via a tee vacuum line to the boost control solenoid. By connecting the compressor port directly to the wastegate housing you are removing the boost controller from the equation and running a purely mechanical boost control (via the spring inside the wastegate regulating boost levels). This will be "safer" since it only allows you to hit between 8 and 12 psi depending on the internal spring strength instead of the 18+ you can hit with the ECU in the loop.

Don't think you can go wrong with either option. FWIW CryoTune (and why I choose him) is more active on these forums. I have had 2 tunes with CryoTune and will be doing my Stage 3 tune with him in a month or so. I like and recommend him, but I have not had a tune from Tuning alliance so can't compare the two.

http://www.cryotuneperformance.com/

Tuning alliance - I think is the tuner that did Max's car. so maybe PM and ask.

http://www.tuningalliance.com/

Best bet is to PM / email the tuners and talk with them. Go with whoever you are comfortable with.

They both do opensource or Cobb AP tuning.

Don't think you can go wrong with either option. FWIW CryoTune (and why I choose him) is more active on these forums. I have had 2 tunes with CryoTune and will be doing my Stage 3 tune with him in a month or so. I like and recommend him, but I have not had a tune from Tuning alliance so can't compare the two.

http://www.cryotuneperformance.com/

Tuning alliance - I think is the tuner that did Max's car. so maybe PM and ask.

http://www.tuningalliance.com/

Best bet is to PM / email the tuners and talk with them. Go with whoever you are comfortable with.

They both do opensource or Cobb AP tuning.

Thank you, I will PM Max as well as both respective tuners.

What everyone has said is true, you should really have it tuned for the turbo. If you're overboosting there's a good chance it's goin lean as well. Look into that 3 port bcs and a tune, you won't be sorry. Cryotune worked great for me.

I would like to add, check your vacuum hoses. I had a vacuum line to the bcs come off and saw overboost (26 psi). Its worth a look since you said it just started happening. While cold can contribute, it never hurts to rule things out.

Al, just to be clear here: You cannot run an EBCS without a tune. That will result in an overboost at stock levels; you'll likely see a piston fly by the windscreen if you install it sans tune while running your VF52.

Im not sure what you're saying, could you please explain a little bit?

Archived