LegacyGT.com

2005 PZEV Legacy and Outback recall...

Just giving some of you folks a heads up. Sometimes in June you will receive a letter regarding your recall.

Dealer Announcement - New Service Programs

2005 PZEV Legacy & Outback ECM Reprogramming

June 12, 2009

SOA has initiated two new Service Programs for reprogramming the Engine Control Module

(ECM) on certain 2005MY PZEV Legacy and Outback vehicles. Because repair procedures

vary depending on the State of vehicle registration, two programs have been released. They

are as follows:

WVH-18 applies to vehicles registered in the States of CA, MA, ME, NY and VT.

WVI-19 applies to vehicles registered in any State except CA, MA, ME, NY and VT.

SOA has assigned the appropriate campaign code to affected vehicles based on current

State motor vehicle registration information.

Condition:

Under certain unique driving patterns, such as repeated acceleration and deceleration and/or

continuous uphill driving at higher speeds (about 75 mph), the catalytic converters of affected

vehicles may develop high internal temperatures that exceed design parameters. If left

uncorrected, this condition may eventually degrade the efficiency of the catalytic converters.

(The “CHECK ENGINE” light will illuminate to alert the driver if catalytic converter efficiency

has degraded beyond an acceptable level.) To prevent this condition, a modification to the

Engine Control Module software logic has been developed that will improve management of

temperatures within the catalytic converters.

For additional information, please refer to the Service Program Bulletin applicable to your

area.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Yes they are.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Yes they are for cats being expensive.

It is for just the 2005's like posted.

Does anyone know if having this recall done will affect Cobb Stage 1 programming?

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that this effects only the 2.5i is considered a PZEV vehicle. The GTs are considered PZEV vehicles.

• 4 months later...
me too...where you at California? I just got my recall letter in the mail a few days ago

I'm in Ventura. Got mine a few days ago. 84,000 miles on my 2007 2.5 PZEV. It smokes a lot when I'm heavy on the throttle. Wonder if I should get the cats checked for damage? What's the warranty on the cats (think it's like 10 years, 100k or something line that)?

Makes sense...sounds like they are sending out all the letters for CA now. I called my local dealer and they are completely swamped everyone is trying to go at once. No I don't think the cat conv will go bad so soon typically. Definitely tell the svc mgr about that, smoke is not good. Yeah you should be good on the warranty.

No smoke for me but I only have 7000 miles.

Archived