LegacyGT.com

Jeez dealer parts are such a rape!

Just had to post this as I was shocked on the price difference of a dealer part vs. a perfectly good third party part. I somehow managed to hit and deer last week in my OBXT and miraculously not cause any damage to the front of the car. The only thing that busted was the front of the headlight lens. How this happened I have no idea, I tagged it in the butt and it must have been at the perfect height to smack the lens and bust it out. No body damage, not even a scratch or scuff. I decided to buy a third party headlight assembly since I knew that dealer parts tend to be inflated. Wouldn't go third party with many parts for our car but with parts like headlights, I bet these are direct vendor to Subaru, i.e. -same factory. Anyway, $136 bucks later on Ebay my headlight shows up, build quality looks great, even has decent bulbs included. I called the dealership this morning to see what it would cost to get an "OEM" one. $419!!! You gotta be kidding me! Jeez do I get a reach-a-round for as well? Thats an absurd price difference...

That's like when the dealer quoted me $435 for a radiator, $312 EACH for rear upper control arms, and $112 for a "synthetic blend" oil change. :lol: I only go to them for filters and crush rings.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

You'll likely find, though, that with safety items like headlights, aftermarket ones are not the same and do not perform to the same standard as oem. I know that they may externally look similar or the same, but internally companies like Depo, TYC, SpecD, and others use inferior materials and processes.

That's like when the dealer quoted me $435 for a radiator, $312 EACH for rear upper control arms, and $112 for a "synthetic blend" oil change. :lol: I only go to them for filters and crush rings.

I was doing the same thing but check this out:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=subaru+oil+filters&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Asubaru+oil+filters

:)

I hope you bought a pair of eBay lights. The chances of the projector color matching the other oem light are slim. The lights themselves are fine, but they need to be replaced in pairs in my experience or a used oem light would be best.

Yeah, depends how picky you are. Body shop put a tyc headlight on my car years ago, I replaced it with a used oem subaru headlamp because the difference annoyed the perfectionist in me.

1.thumb.jpg.26e7d316fa8eb0048095206baf9f8c5e.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.906348997fb6a2e0d608e4279796a44a.jpg

The two issues I've seen with aftermarket headlamps is fit and finish. They're typically "off" just a little bit in fitment and the beam of light is always different. It's not the end of the world issues and paying 1/3 of oem price is very enticing.

Yup, we'll see how it all shakes out. I just can't stomach paying over $400 for a headlight assembly. Still shocked that I didn't munch my whole front right corner when I hit that deer!

Yup, we'll see how it all shakes out. I just can't stomach paying over $400 for a headlight assembly. Still shocked that I didn't munch my whole front right corner when I hit that deer!

That's inexpensive compared to my BMW (or possibly one of the newer Subaru models). A headlight assembly can easily be north of $1,500.

I bought a wrecked car to get all the top end motor parts rather than pay dealer prices. Crazy money for cheap stuff.

Is the wrecked one tan leather interior? Driver seat in good shape? My SWP wagon could use a new drivers seat.

Is the wrecked one tan leather interior? Driver seat in good shape? My SWP wagon could use a new drivers seat.

I have power heated tan leather interior in my basement, no idea what shipping would cost, but pay shipping plus $10. and the seat is yours.

Archived