LegacyGT.com

left front axle noise

My trusted mechanic install a new (after market) left front axle, Aug 14 2013.

Over the past few month's I have heard a slight clicking sometimes. Now that its warmer and the window is down, I hear the clicking noise every time I pull away from a stop and make a left turn.

So today I stopped by to ask him about it.

He told me that 5 out of 10 aftermarket new left front axles are short. The best thing to get is a remanufactured axle, not a new axle. He does a lot of these cars and will be installing a reman in my car next Tuesday.

I suppose I could buy a new OEM but this is free.

Do the dealers have reman OEM units ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have to ask you, but after all the small niggles you have had since the rebuild, if you could go back in time and sell the car before you did it, would you?

I ask, as mine is in storage right now while I figure out what to do with bad compression numbers.

No.

Bang for the buck. The thing is a blast to drive. I view it as my "toy" that I get to drive everyday, not just on nice weekends.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Max, I heard here that the AutoZone 7336 (specifically the re-manufactured part) uses a real OEM core. I put a set on my car a few weeks ago, but it's too early to say. Might be worth a try.
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Not sure which axle he installed, busy there yesterday, didn't get a receipt. They did make sure everything was tight up front from when they put the Koni's and Epic's. They did do a 4 wheel alignment. I asked him how much, he said $40 cash, have a nice day.

Going back to VT tonight with the car.

$40? great deal! Good luck on your trip, and may it be click-click-click free.
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Yea, I've been going to him for over 20 years, my dad used to go to him too, and now my son does.

It's great to build a longterm relationship with good shops. My son had them do a alignment on his lower S2K last week. He brought his own spec's and they set up what he wanted.

Archived