LegacyGT.com

Sever Vibration in Steering column

wimwam

Has anyone noticed during slightly elevated braking pressure the whole steering column shakes? I would imagine that this is from ABS but I have driven cars with ABS before and not noticed this too bad. Also if I am braking hard and turning there will be a small knocking sound with the shaking. This shaking happens from braking above 25 mph approximately.

Well that sux, right off the lot and I have trouble already. Guess its gonna have to go in the shop for repairs. I understand that the stock rotors are terrible. Any recommendations for aftermarket cause I know the guys at the dealership are just gonna keep putting the stock crap back on.

Find someone with used STi brembos. Ask edmundu for his review. He has already converted the fronts, and now is awaiting the rears.

Or, there's always COBB's BBK, or STOPTech...not sure if there' is out yet.

Search for pltek.net, or rallitek.com, or other vendors, to see what the might have. Just take the time to search, that's all...

IMHO, before you go back, find a nice quiet road, make sure you have no loose objects in the car, and do a few heavy braking stops from hi-ish speeds. It is more likely that you have uneven deposits on your rotors, and a few stops could clean them off for you.

Stock rotors are pretty good - Hansen has abused them on track a lot, and never had an issue (including 110 laps of a short circuit in a day!!).

Keefe, has been autox-ing on them for 30k miles with Endless pads and as apexjapan2 stated, Paul Hansen has abused on the track.

People, the stock rotors are fine. Please stop perpetuating the idea that the stock rotors are crap.

I keed I keeed

If you've driven the car really hard, for a while, then I'd +1 brother eles1's sentiments.

However, as you've later stated that your car's "fresh-out" of the lot, I'd imagine you could well have a lot of pad-deposit on your rotors from test-drives and/or some rust/oxidation on the rotors (NORMAL!) from simple storage, both of which should be able to be "burned off" very easily.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

If you've driven the car really hard, for a while, then I'd +1 brother eles1's sentiments.

However, as you've later stated that your car's "fresh-out" of the lot, I'd imagine you could well have a lot of pad-deposit on your rotors from test-drives and/or some rust/oxidation on the rotors (NORMAL!) from simple storage, both of which should be able to be "burned off" very easily.

That's a good point. Come to think of it... I had similar problems with mine when it was under 1000 miles. I was pissed because I thought I was going to have to take it in to have the rotors turned already. Before I had a chance to schedule a dealer visit, it cleared up on its own. Never had any trouble since.

Archived