LegacyGT.com

Carbon fiber hoods

fullerslgt

Does anyone know of any quality carbon fiber hoods for the 05 Lgt? I am in need of a new hood and with all the other work being done to the car I figured I'd go carbon fiber. I just don't wanna get a carbon fiber coating on a plastic and fiberglass filled hood. Any ideas or opinions? Any good companies you know or have heard of? Big named companies or the little guys, doesn't matter to me. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Your stock hood is aluminum and nearly all the carbon hoods are carbon over fiberglass, and the weight difference is negligible (at least this is true on GD Imprezas). I don't know of any dry carbon replacement hoods for the LegacyGT, except Varis, and they aren't cheap.

http://varis.co.jp/varis/products/subaru/light/index.html

You can find cheap one in the US ( the not so cheap price of like 600-900). But the really good quality hoods are in japan. I believe prova , delta speed , damd and a few others make them but you gotta pay 1400 in shipping.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

Hmm ok thanks. Yeah I was under the impression that it could cut the weight in half and being I need to replace my hood I was considering going carbon fiber and color matching it SWP. But if I'm gonna buy a carbon fiber hood then I want a real carbon fiber hood not a look like carbon fiber hood cause I'm going to paint it anyways. Prices for new oem hoods that I've seen are 250-500 steel to aluminum. So I figured for that I could spend a few undressed more and get CF or so I thought. Apparently it's becoming more of a chore than I thought. Lol

rrev used to make one. they are in new york. not certain if they still do

They do, special request though.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

Yeah I checked out rrev and it looks like a nice hood. Too bad it's $6 something for the hood and $6 something to ship. $12 hundred and some change because of shipping. I found a few other places that charge about 100 for shipping. Why is there shipping 5 times more expensive than all the others?

For the cost vs weight savings its not worth it. Shipping depends on where its coming from. I looked into the hood after my car was hit a couple years and they ship direct from overseas which is costly. Others shipping for $100 are probably already in the states and were shipped over with a bunch of other things to keep the cost of freight down.

to have a hood lighter than the aluminium one you will need a full carbon " , that will cost you over a 10000$.

if the seller can not give you the exact weight , specs, what process it made off , do not buy ! you will end up with a fiberglass hood !

dont buy from oversea , there so many great company in the State .

if you want to save weight on your original hood ( aluminium ) you need a carbon splitter

Well isn't even the carbon fiber hoods you'll find in the states that have filler material such as fiberglass and plastic still wrapped in carbon fiber which is dent resistant. ie: hail damage?

My buddy has carbon fiber hoods and trunks (obviously not full carbon fiber) on all of his Subarus and he swears by it for protection against hail. Thoughts?

to have a hood lighter than the aluminium one you will need a full carbon " , that will cost you over a 10000$.

if the seller can not give you the exact weight , specs, what process it made off , do not buy ! you will end up with a fiberglass hood !

dont buy from oversea , there so many great company in the State .

if you want to save weight on your original hood ( aluminium ) you need a carbon splitter

The Varis VSDC (Varis Semi Dry Carbon) hood that is on the link I posted is 6.2kg, compared to the aluminum hood at 9.6kg. That's a loss of 3.4kg, or 7.5lbs, on a part that weighs 21lbs, so not major in the grand scheme of things but a large percentage. This is ¥198,000 (currently $1878.82) which is much less than $10,000, even with shipping.

• 6 months later...

what to expect ? not really info on what you buy . that maybe pricey for end up with a hood heavier than oem just to have a carbon look ?

i think on this forum nobody care about carbon fiber anyway . is not like bimmer forum !!

carbon look you like or dont like . dont need to argu on that . but if you really like and want one it should a least be same weight than oem . lighter will be best .

i was thinking of a carbon hood but only to convert the scoop to a bigger 2015 sti .

bigger scoop ,bigger intercooler , more performance .

will be a fun project but will need people to justify the cost of tooling .

Archived