LegacyGT.com

mass confusion

so I recently just got done with my wrecked rebuild on my 99 lgt. I finally got a temp tag for it so I decided to hit the road. I went about 2 miles and it felt like my car was stalling by 4 gear so I slowed down and pulled over and it was barley keeping idle, bogging down when I hit the gas and back firing. I was able to get it towed home. me and my buddies originally thought it was going to be the tps since we adjusted it earlier thinking it was a fix but it wasn't. anyway we got the tps adjusted properly. checked the spark plugs. one side was super black and the other side was not as bad. remembering that we swapped the fuel rail with injectors ect. we decided to swap them back. we drove it up and down the street once thinking we fixed it. the next day we test drove it again and it barley went up and down my street twice. since then I replaced the fuel filter still having the same problem and now im a little clueless. any help is appreciated thanks.

What codes are coming up (check engine light)? That is probably a good place to start.

that's my biggest issue, I have no codes. I did have a tps code when it wasn't aligned properly but it went away after it got lined back up.

You should make sure your injectors aren't stuck or sticking, you should be able to verify with a stethoscope, I would think the O2 sensor cel would pop up but the older cars sometimes have a lot of variance in the allowable readings and need a couple of complete drive cycles to set a code. You should also check the resistance in the plug wires just to be certain. If that checks out verify timing, and clean the plugs run the engine then check the plugs again.

You should make sure your injectors aren't stuck or sticking, you should be able to verify with a stethoscope, I would think the O2 sensor cel would pop up but the older cars sometimes have a lot of variance in the allowable readings and need a couple of complete drive cycles to set a code. You should also check the resistance in the plug wires just to be certain. If that checks out verify timing, and clean the plugs run the engine then check the plugs again.

we didn't try the injectors but im not too sure if that is the problem or not. im starting to think that the ecu got re mapped some how or something because i have 4 emissions systems not ready, and i dont think they have been ready since i owned the car. the systems are 02, egr, maf and one more thing. i do have an after market exhaust so it could be the case. i recently decided to check the cat to see if it was flowing properly and because i also noticed some platinum coming out of my tail pipe. so i dropped the exhaust and cut the cat off and sure enough there was a hole blown through the cat with the plastic mesh of some sort melted and all sorts of mangled. we bought a new cat but had some issues with lining it up and re welding. we will try again this weekend and see what happens.

• I Donated
that's my biggest issue, I have no codes. I did have a tps code when it wasn't aligned properly but it went away after it got lined back up.

You do have codes. They might not be current codes, but there is almost certainly one (or more) pending code or history code. Some cheaper scanners don't pull up history or pending codes....so if your scanner won't do that then find one that will. Also the datastreams might be helpful to look at if you're able to access them.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

So here's my update, got the cat welded on properly so we started it up while it was still on jacks and it ran perfect even up at idle temp. But then when I started to rev the rmp gauge would go up to 2k then drop to 0 while I'm still reving. We decided to drop the car and take it for a test drive, after we dropped it we tried to start it and the battery died in that time, threw it on the charger and once it charged a bit I tried again and it wouldn't crank because the battery was too dead but after I stopped trying the car alarm starting going off and it did it multiple times and while it was going off my raido and my abs light would die while the horn was going off. I'm guessing I have a serious electrical problem because I already found a bunch of jank wiring. Any help now would be appreciated

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You need to fix your charging problem and ensure your battery is good, then you can start troubleshooting the other issues. A good scanner will plug right into the OBD port and read you the live data from the sensors but that requires a good battery and functioning alternator.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
i had a really simple fix to this actually, all i did was unplug the keyless entry unit and the alarm stopped and the car started and ran perfectly fine after that. so i just have a few more kinks to work out then i should be ready to go.

Archived