LegacyGT.com

1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon Rough Idle

I just bought a 1995 Subaru Legacy with 228,000 miles. The muffler section has rusted off at the pipe fitting and I am going to weld it back on at the fitting to connect it back to the pipe. I bought the car for $200 with the sole intention of teaching my girlfriend how to drive a stick. It is a nice car overall, and I want to address and take care of the idle issues. I am not sure if the rough idle is attributed to the exhaust system not being complete. The car runs and accellerates fine when there is a load on it. What else could be causing the rough idle? Spark plugs, wires? Injectors, EGR Valve? The owner mentioned that sometimes the car will not start, but if he leaves it alone for 15 minutes and tries again it will start right up. I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Not a bad find! A guy bought a wagon I had with 220,000 miles and he took it from CT to Tenn. without a hiccup.

I'd start be replacing the Fuel filter, cleaning the throttlebody, air intake parts, and be sure all the vaccuum hoses (especially the one under the airbox) are connected, plugs, wires, clean the IAC valve with some chlorine free brake cleaner.

It not starting is a bad relay. My buddy's '92 Acura Integra (has 231,000 miles) has the exact same problem you either need to solder it or just buy a new one altogether (the relay heats up and needs to cool down that is why it will not start for fifteen minutes)... As far as the rough idle it could be anything from plugs and wires, O2 sensor, the incomplete exhaust is where I would definitely start though...

• 6 years later...

Archived