LegacyGT.com

Anyone have the factory XM?

RLB

The impression I get is that its an add on kit that needs to be installed. I'm interested in it purely from the antenna standpoint. I have an XM ready Alpine head unit. I'd like a clean/factory way to run the antenna into the car, instead of having a stupid little magnet on the trunk lid

The impression I get is that its an add on kit that needs to be installed. I'm interested in it purely from the antenna standpoint. I have an XM ready Alpine head unit. I'd like a clean/factory way to run the antenna into the car, instead of having a stupid little magnet on the trunk lid

There are plenty of places to mount the antenna, I have mine on my rear decklid near the 3rd brake light. But I'll be moving it to the front dash in the very front corner of the passenger side where the A-pillar/dash/windshield meet.

http://techinfo.subaru.com/html/ixSearchFree.jsp?text_keyword=&keyword=&publication_type=12&free_pub=13

That is the link to the pdf install file for the xm kit. You have to scroll down to

"2007 Satellite Radio (XM) (H621SXA000) (574.15 kb)"

ZMAN

Awesome link!

So they are attaching the antenna to the inside of the windscreen? Interesting. I used to tape mine to the dash (near passenger A-pillar).

I had the dealer install the factory OEM in my LGT that I picked up last Saturday. I was worried about how the antenna was going to look and function as it is mounted to the upper right windshield. I have to say it is barely noticeable. No one has gotten into my car and even mentioned it and due to the window tint line you can't see it from outside the car.

The reception has been excellent. I've had no dropouts at all. My wifes Accord with the external roof antenna drops out sometimes and in my previous vehicle I used a MyFi with the antenna taped to the front dashboard and had dropouts but none so far with my LGT.

Here are some pics to show you. The closeup of the antenna on the windshield makes it look more intrusive then it really is. Look as close as you can at the outside pic and you won't see it. The SRS works nicely with XM. Just waiting for my dealer to get in the OEM subwoofer and then I'm done with my Audio mods.

I'll be posting pics of the interior/exterior in the Brilliant Silver Pic forum as soon as I get my LegacGT.com license plate frame (UPS shows next week).

100_0190.thumb.jpg.6cc853152a744fe05e43d8cbd5562f56.jpg

100_0179.thumb.jpg.e00f41f90e27de2ea0101a6a6446d50e.jpg

That must be for the Forester and Impreza models. As of now, they get Sirius, and LGT gets XM (Blech). As of next year, rumor is that it will be the consumer's choice.

This might be mentioned elsewhere, but would it matter if you install the Sirius tuner, rather than the XM? I'm guessing this is part "A" on the Tribeca/Legacy manual. This being said, why not install the Impreza Sirius tuner instead of the XM? Either way, my Starmate will mate with the aux jack until I can sort this out.

• 1 month later...
Anyone tried adding the Factory 2007 XM to a 2005 Legacy GT Limited? Is it possible or worth it?

I thought of adding an aftermarket to the compartment above radio... but I'd like a clean install

I believe you can find 'instructions' on swapping the entire 2007 HU into a 2005, at which point there should be no real issues adding the OEM XM option to it. I don't think you'll find the 2005 HU has the proper inputs for the XM option.

As to the people discussing Sirius vs XM -- it's most likely that the HU is not capable. You will probably find that the Impreza/Forester headunit is made by a different company than the Legacy unit, as it tends to be more brand specific than anything.

Archived