LegacyGT.com

STOP light fuse keeps blowing

2007 Subaru Outback 20 amp stop light fuse blows at different times.

When the fuse blows, the shifting lever lock will not operate and I can not put transmissiopn in gear. Last time I replaced it it worked for a month before blowing again. Now as soon as I replaced it, it blew as soon as I tried to put the shift lever in gear.

Any ideas?:spin:

You have a short somewhere. Find out what all is on that circuit and start tracing wires. It is either a bad electrical item, or you might have a frayed wire somewhere.

Just based on your description, the neutral safety switch (or whatever it is called) would be a good starting point.

Pressing the brake is what allows the shifter to be shifted. I'm not sure what the mechanism is on this car, it may be a solenoid of some kind. If you can't move the shifter, it seems the brake switch may not be sending voltage to that solenoid. My guess is you have a short in your brake switch that's blowing the fuse and also affecting the contacts sending signal to solenoid. It should be attached at the brake pedal somewhere to be actuated. I would remove and check it with a DMM for continuity.

So did you check the brake switch? Volkswagen Jettas from early 2000s had bad brake switches. My sister had 2 go bad in the 8 years or so she had the car. When they went bad the brake lights didnt work and she couldnt shift out of park. The switch also contolled a solenoid for the brake/shifter interlock.

Archived