LegacyGT.com

Any reviews on the Clutchmasters FX*** series clutch kits?!

CousinLarry

I have done extensive searching..

I have a tuner shop telling me to get clutchmasters FX100, says I won't like the FX200 or FX300..

But then I go on here and do some reading, and almost no one uses the FX100, and the ones that do say that it chatters like crazy in R,1, and 2. That scares me since I see about 10 mins of traffic daily.

Everyone says to get the FX300 and it's smooth as buttah, same pedal pressure as stock.

I would go ACT as that's what I've always had in my DSMs, but they're over $700! (I miss cheap DSM parts!!)

Does anyone have any real-world experience with the FX100 and/or FX300 clutch kits?!

Car is an 05 LGT at stage 2, I'd like about 300whp as my daily driver goal, so I want a clutch that I won't have to replace next year..

Old wise ones, please school a scooby nooby.

Thanks

I don't know about those, but you can get Exedy clutches for cheap and its an OEM supplier. I am getting the Exedy FJK1001 and WRX single mass flywheel done today in fact. Are you modded? Do you need a stage 3? The FX300 is a stage 3 right? If so it might be harsh for your application. Amazon has the FJK1001FW (includes flywheel) for $450 shipped.

• 1 month later...

Absolutely terrible experience with the FX100 - falsely advertised as a "HD stock alternative." Avoid it like the plague.

TERRIBLE engagement, inconsistent pedal pressure and it was toast after about 35,000 km, and I am stock except for Cobb accessport. I have the ACT HD setup now.

• 3 weeks later...

What was the final outcome of this Jeff? Did you swap the clutch? I'm upgrading to 18G in a couple weeks and I am preparing for the worst with the clutch. I've seen guys out here running OEM clutch to upwards of 350hp/380tq with no issues if they arent launching with tires spinning. the FX300 was my first choice after extensive reading. Is the TSK3 still required even on the FX300?

Also - does anyone know if the 09 clutch is alrady SMFW?

UPDATE: I see that all 2007+ USDM Legacy GT/OB XT's are the SMFW.

• 4 months later...

My ACT HD setup lasted 50k miles. The pressure plate is on its way out. Looking for a replacement. Stage 2 since 15k miles (@~130k now). Sucks to find out my OEM Clutch lasted longer with stage 2 AND more abuse than my ACT HD Clutch did. I drive my car like a baby and this setup took a crap (pretty sure its a pressure plate failure, rather than clutch disc) :(

I'm thinking of just going to an 07 LGT OEM Setup - stay stock, stay happy? I don't beat on my car anymore. It just takes me to work, I'll rip the bike around if I want to go fast lol.

My ACT HD setup lasted 50k miles. The pressure plate is on its way out. Looking for a replacement. Stage 2 since 15k miles (@~130k now). Sucks to find out my OEM Clutch lasted longer with stage 2 AND more abuse than my ACT HD Clutch did. I drive my car like a baby and this setup took a crap (pretty sure its a pressure plate failure, rather than clutch disc) :(

I'm thinking of just going to an 07 LGT OEM Setup - stay stock, stay happy? I don't beat on my car anymore. It just takes me to work, I'll rip the bike around if I want to go fast lol.

I would sugest you look at a Spec 2 or 2+. I have had both, the 2 in there now drives like a stock clutch but has more bite. The 2+ was a little harder to get the car rolling from a stop sign.

The 2+ was in there over 80,000 miles.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
I would sugest you look at a Spec 2 or 2+. I have had both, the 2 in there now drives like a stock clutch but has more bite. The 2+ was a little harder to get the car rolling from a stop sign.

The 2+ was in there over 80,000 miles.

My stage 2+ lasted 30,000 miles

Archived