LegacyGT.com

suspension rattle

mand3j

Looking for a little help diagnosing a rattle.... yes, I've searched.....

cobb sways (front and rear)

upgraded end links

rallitek springs

Car drives fine for most of my daily driving. However, if I get on the freeway for 15+ minutes, I sometimes get a slight shimmy in the steering wheel intermitantly. When I get off the expressway, I've got a rattle/clunking noise that can be heard and barely felt through the steering wheel and pedals. Noise is present anywhere from 2mph-40mph. It is present on smooth pavement or bumps, straight or turns. It's not rythmic, not related to engine speed either. Springs aren't the source, I had the same problem with stock springs.

I've replaced endlinks, removed, lubed sways, inspected and torqued everything. Wheels spin freely, quiet and have no play.

The real kicker is that after the car cools, and I drive it around for a day or so around town, the problem goes away. I've been living with this problem for the past 2 years..

Does this sound like wheel bearings?? Anybody experience this??

Are you sure your strut top nuts were torqued all the way when your ralliteks were installed? My top hats were loosening up on my coilovers and it took me a while to figure out. The clunk made me think steering rack, sway bars, trans mount, motor mounts then i finally tried the top nut on my struts and that was the problem. lol, I was pretty dead set that it was a bushing because when it was cold and wet outside it went away. I was thinking a bushing was swelling and masking the noise. For me it was pretty erratic and sounded like alot of different things before I figured it out.

• 3 weeks later...

still havent found the source for the elusive rattle.

only other thing I can add, is if I lift the car and set it back down, the rattle will dissappear for a few days

???????

Archived