LegacyGT.com

Flecks of metal near fan belt?

Hi. Haven't been on the Board for a few months but am in need of some assistance please.

Yesterday, my car (1991 Subaru Legacy LS) was making sort of a "grating" sound, under the hood. Checked while the motor was running and noticed lightweight flecks of metal under the fan belt. My A/C belt was removed long ago - couldn't afford to fix it.

I am a total Newbie when it comes to motors and such but I'm learning more all the time, thanks to this forum and YouTube. If someone could even suggest what's logical to troubleshoot that'd be really helpful.

Thank you, and Happy Easter :)

So, from what I described you think that it may be a problem with the alternator? I'm not even sure which part is an alternator but I have a manual so I'll put Mad Men on hold and do some research tonight.

Hmm.. I think our junkyard is still under 10 feet of snow but I'll check on Tuesday.

I appreciate the response, thanks!

Update: Had a friend stop by this morning and we discovered the problem area. Turns out that it's the power steering pump. The flecks of metal were from a section of the pump that had broken off to expose a rough metal edge.

So, looks like I'll be starting this year learning about power steering pumps. (Even though member response also resulted in my learning about alternators too... bonus!)

Thanks so much. Have a safe Spring, everyone.

Archived