LegacyGT.com

My free junk SS wagon!

There is this first gen subie a block or two from my house that I always drive/walk by. A few months ago I finally noticed that it had a hood scoop. However, the front end body was obviously replaced since it was a different color than the rest of the wagon. So I wondered if it was actually an SS or if they just found the body panels from a junked SS and swapped them on. The badges on the back of the rear hatch were gone, so they weren't any help.

Well today I was driving by the wagon and noticed one of the owners in the front yard. I pulled over and got out and asked the guy if it was an actual SS. He said yes, but he had recently divorced the other owner and had walked away from the house, car, dogs, etc. He said that the SS has an electrical problem so it is just sitting there and maybe it would be for sale. We talked about the EJ22T for a minute and then he said "Well, I have another block in the back that in pieces." I was like "Another EJ22T?":eek: Yup, another EJ22T. He said that he picked up another SS wagon for bits and swapped them onto the SS that was parked in the street and his ex was about to scrap the parts SS with the shortblock still installed.

I asked to take a look. The top end of the engine is completely removed, and some of the parts may or may not be in the garage. He had the block covered with a tarp but the tarp had rotted away and the piston bores are filled with water. We turned the crank pulley and it went 'gurgle gurgle' so at least the engine still turns. He expressed concern that the water in the block had frozen multiple times and may have cracked the block.

Turns out his ex works at the college I work at so I stopped by her office and asked her if she wants to get rid of the engine. She said that she just wants it gone and I can just take any parts off it for free! :)

She told me that her SS has 'some type of problem' with the battery. I offered to try and fix it for her in trade. She liked that idea so she can take her dogs hiking again. So I will be needing some help with that when I get more info.

Anyway, a free SS shortblock two blocks from my house is a pretty amazing occurrence, huh?

The transmission is still on it. I don't know if it works or not. I don't know why the car was junked in the first place, but the block only has about 150k. Maybe it is salvagable if the ice didn't crack it.

When I pull the engine, how can I test for cracks in the block? Is it possible to do a compression test on it even though it is full of water?

I have an extra set of EJ22T heads if need them, lol. There are plenty of first gens at the yard that I can get an intake manifold, etc. from. If I can save this block I'll build it up over the next year and plop it into my second gen. :)

DSCF6245.thumb.JPG.98bb16e602d99706e926162ffecb4439.JPG

DSCF6246.thumb.JPG.8f32a2f9216c8c025f3bd54517d963e8.JPG

DSCF6247.thumb.JPG.d955bffc4b533da45ef9f3e3281ff5da.JPG

DSCF6248.thumb.JPG.5b84ec613b55991629a1eb9e35f995c7.JPG

DSCF6249.thumb.JPG.8ad466a14b7923534b69c092bdb1ba84.JPG

interior.thumb.jpg.6b19129d8a3987c8d836a32b80f994b7.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's even cheaper than the EJ22T that you picked up! And I thought that couldn't be beat. I'll let you know if I need any parts.

This will be a monster when I put it in my second gen. :)

Looks like it even has a full tank of gas, lol! I wonder if it has wheels. Forgot to check, ha ha.

^What, aren't there a bunch of free SSs in your neighborhood? :)

Anyone have any opinions on if the water freezing could have cracked the block?

Also, can I take the turbo exhaust bits off the first gen and put them on my second gen? I don't know what they are called. But If you look at then engine bay pic it would be that downpipe that fits behind the turbo. Maybe it is a downpipe, lol. I'm still a noob.

Also, are the SS 4EAT transmissions different from non-turbo 4EAT transmissions of the same era? I would think that they would need to be beefier, but idk.

its something you wont know untill you tear the block apart. that is the downpipe and the other pipe coming from underneath is the up pipe. you can use this stuff on your second gen but you will need a way to open source tune it. the turbo 4eat is no different than the n/a. the ratio is different than the n/a 90-91 trans. rumor is that the turbo syncros are stronger but nobody has really tested that. i dont think it would matter on an auto tranny anyways. the torque converter and valve body is where it would really matter and as far as i have found, they arent different. the jdm auto tranny is a little bit stronger than the usdm one. plus, the jdm one is 4.111 final drive. my jdm one on my last ss outlasted my stock tranny by 30k miles with the same abuse. that has to say something lol.

Sorry about not being specific. If you look at the pic I posted of the engine at the start of this thread there are two seals that look a lot like cam seals. One is a few inches to the left and up from the EJ22 stamp on the block. If you follow the wiring harness that is above the right cam sprocket the plug is resting on top of the other seal.

I should have just looked them up on my own, but I was just curious last night. I'd take a close up of them but the car is not at my house. Thanks.

Ah, thanks!

Would either of you know a bit about the stock manual transmission that was on the SSs? Was it different than other 5MTs on non-turbo first gens?

I will be putting this EJ22T in my second gen and it has a 5MT with about 120k. I know that the best thing to do would be to get an STi transmission, but I may just use my stock transmission until it breaks, lol. I am curious as to how long it will last when it has to handle more hp.

You didn't find junk, these cars are awesome

Wait, are you saying I found something special? I almost passed on it since there was no vtech. :rolleyes:

When I pluck the engine I want to completely disassemble it and clean it up. I want to split the block so each half will fit in a dishwasher. :p

What type of seal joins the block halves? It is an RTV sealant kind of thing? Are there really long bolts that hold them together?

Cool! This is going to be a fun project and I plan on taking my time for the rebuild.

So after I split the block and get it cleaned up (assuming I don't have to sleeve it) what is the next step on making it a lil' monster? Machining the block a bit and getting new pistons? Pnp the EJ22T heads and machine the cams? Any stock parts that are usable I would like to keep.

What other parts should I pull from the SS for the swap into my second gen? The up and down pipes? ECU?

edit: Would you split the block? Why/why not?

yup, swap that stuff assuming the ecu will plug and play. i would use that stock manifold, up pipe, and dp unless you can afford aftermarket stuff. if you can, try and get some dohc heads. pnp 22t heads still dont flow all that well. invest in a td04 and tmic as well. cheap extra performance is always good.

Wait, are you saying I found something special? I almost passed on it since there was no vtech. :rolleyes:

ha right, no I just hate finding threads with uninformed people talking crap about these cars.

make sure you find a good set of DOHC heads and use a OEM subaru headgasket to match the block, as you might have to shave them a little (hopefully not).

Not sure if the turbo cross member off the SS will work on your 2nd gen. If not, get a WRX one . And just for the record, you're one lucky son of a gun. Would give my left testicular appendage for one of these.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Not sure if the turbo cross member off the SS will work on your 2nd gen. If not, get a WRX one . And just for the record, you're one lucky son of a gun. Would give my left testicular appendage for one of these.

Yeah, I'm a lucky dude! I can't believe I have two EJ22Ts now. :wub:

Archived