LegacyGT.com

Armor All Custom Shield

No clue, I keep meaning to pick up the 3M. I would ASSUME the 3M is better, considering the major chemical company they are. Plastidip I haven't had any issues with on the chrome of my car, except the lettering in the back has a few bubbles. Easy to peel and reapply.

It looks interesting. It is all the same type of technology though. I wouldn't expect them to be really all that different from each other. Look at it this way... When you are looking for something like a flat black spray paint, do you really care who makes it or do you go with the cheapest brand? $17 can of Armor All or $6 can of Plasti-Dip... hmmmmm... Not much to think about there. The black Plasti-Dip is available at Home Depot for under $6, so that is what I use. I guess if they come out with a really cool color then it might be worth it, but the price needs to come way down.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Plastidip has a lot more variety of applications, and you can get it just about any color, and various effects, such as smoke, metallic, camo, etc... I use that for covering up the chrome grill and badging. The 3M/Armor is just a clear film, so no fancy effects. I plan to use on the hood/front bumper just for protection without any color. Between 3M and Armor, they look to be the same or very similar product. I'm going to give the 3M a try.

Have you had issues with plastidip?

Sometimes that is true, but sometimes the product just isn't that complicated. Paint is one of them. If this came down to actual clear bra type films then I would agree that 3M has the edge, but that is the way it is with a lot of products. Just because Hyundai makes a car that looks like a mercedes doesn't mean it is anything like it. I get it. But when it comes to peelable rubber sprays, how different can they really be?

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

The honest answer is I don't know, but then again, neither do you. Considering it's a chemical application and it's going straight on your paint, it seems worth spending an extra $10 for peace of mind.

If I were a betting man, I'd say 3M developed a formula and Armorall did their best to replicate it. But who knows if it holds up as well, etches paint (not likely), comes off as cleanly, reacts with clearcoat and causes hazing, has the same UV protection, etc. etc. etc.

Archived