LegacyGT.com

Filling the front differential fluid 5MT

Hi there, my axle fell out of the differential today when I was reefing on some suspension components on my car, fluid leaked out, and I had to press in the axle again. Now that the axle is pressed in, I need to fill the fluid, how do I go about adding fluid?

Thanks in advance!

Bg.

There is a dip stick behind the turbo under the tmic. Make sure the car is level. Check the oil leve and top it off with some 75w-90 gear oil.

Then you may want to think about buying some Extra-S Subaru 75w-90 from one of the vendors on here and changing all 3.8 qt's so you knw you have good fluid in there.

To drain all the old fluid out you need to jack up the rear of the car after you have broken the torque on the tranny drain plug. I think it's a 70 torx. I needed a 1/2 breaker bar to do mine the first time.

There are other fluids that are ok to use too. Both my cars have Amsoil Severgear 75w-90 in them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for the thorough answer, Max. I ended up rushing to a store around here and buying buying a couple quarts of castrol syntec 75-90 just to top it off so I can drive around for now. I will be picking up the big torx bit and drain it and fill it with some better gear oil, maybe next weekend. Heck, I might as well do the rear too while I'm at it!

Archived