LegacyGT.com

honestly, f--k subaru!!!!

car 2005 legacy gt premium wagon, 5eat, purcahsed dec 2012 47 k

bought my car used dec 2012 with 47k, engine #1 and turbo #1 blew on way home.

end of feb 2013, timing belt pulley wasnt tightened properly, and engine #2 went

end of march turbo #2 is bad

i am so fed up with this car, i use premium gas, dont hammer it, regular oil changes. i bought it for its so called reliability, and i havent had that at all...

are subarus really this unreliable? i check my oil twice a week, have already flushed my cooling sytstem, and my tranny was flushed at subaru.

i wanted to mod the car more, but im afraid its going to keep breaking!!!

what can i do to stop this?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Take your car to someone that knows what they're doing perhaps?

ummm, it was a factory subaru turbo that replaced the old factory turbo, and it was a new subaru engine that replaced the one that blew....

both turbos and engines were oem replacements, not 3rd party. so the problem is withe oem equipment, isnt it?

• Moderators

So you still have a warranty on the new build, correct? Did they replace the whole engine or just the shortblock(s)?

The turbos are likely going out due to an oiling issue, but it's hard to say without more information.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Depends on what failed? When you say the first engine blew what do you mean? In reference to the vf40...I know a guy locally that has gone through three in the few years he's owned his lgt. Was the filter on the oil feed line removed/cleaned?

Too, in reference to the new engine...who did the work? The crank pulley not being tightened to spec is a big thing to miss... Also, what failed this time around? If you spin a bearing or something and did not replace the oil cooler and pump I would suspect failure right away...there's just more to it than a straight short block swap...

If you want reliability and carefree ownership with a Subaru you need to stay n/a and even those have some issues. I'm not saying the turbo models are not good cars but they require upkeep and maybe even a little paranoia or one could easily become problematic. I've seen both the ej205's and ej255-7's w/ 200k and running strong but I'm sure they were over maintained for most of their lives.

If you want reliability and carefree ownership with a Subaru you need to stay n/a and even those have some issues. I'm not saying the turbo models are not good cars but they require upkeep and maybe even a little paranoia or one could easily become problematic. I've seen both the ej205's and ej255-7's w/ 200k and running strong but I'm sure they were over maintained for most of their lives.

Absolutely this. Being my first turbo car I was not prepared for the maintenance/wear items that have appeared even while maintaining the car properly and using a good mechanic.

In this case it sounds to me like a problem of a bad technician. However the OP really hasnt given many details.

My car went thru the same thing. Had monkeys at Subaru fix my blown motor. Warranty. It was used and previously modded. Motor locked up and I had Subaru put a whole new motor and turbo in. Then it had boost leaks and vacuum leaks galore. I got fed up and fixed and found all my problems. 100k of hard abuse and not one problem other that. Wear items. I'm a Toyota tech. Every dealer has 2 good techs to every 8 idiotic Tech's. Its just the way things are now. Its scary. I can't wait to leave this field.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

it would be one thing if i had these problems over the course of a few years, or over 40-50,000 miles...all this has happened in 6 months, and not even 8,000 miles of of driving. at this pace, i dont need oil changes, ill just get a new engine every 3 months.

i have had turbo cars before, and never had so many problems, let alone on 6 months of ownership. my car has literally been in the garage more then my driveway.

Again, not a problem with it being a Subaru.... You had bad work done and a car that was probably beat by the previous owner.

You're story is one I've heard many times. There's only a small percentage of turbo cars that come though a dealership and some of those line techs see the turbo and crap themselves.

Get the warranty work done and then find a good shop that actually knows what a turbo is.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Do you have any idea what was wrong with your first engine? What failed? This may be a big clue in determining why your second failed. Also, the oil feed for the turbo has a filter that once clogged causes the turbo to starve for oil...this could be the reason why both turbos failed...

I have never heard of a crank pulley coming loose that was torqued to spec. If it came loose its likely a technician to blame...not the engine.

I can understand your frustration. I would be flat out moving on in your shoes but

No problems with mine. You must of just got a bad one

101k on the original turbo(replaced with a newer vf52 and it has 15k now and still running fine)

Current mileage is 116k

Either you sell it as is or fix it

I love my Subaru

on mine, i blew the oem radiator in half pulling out of a parking structure at 15 mph, replaced a cv axle, replaced etc.... list goes on and i just bought my 07LGT 6 months ago. it was used and i knew that the likes of us that really take care of our vehicles are rare. i knew what i was getting into when i decided to buy a used vehicle here in socal.

but i still love my car..

for you there is very simple solution, sell it and buy another car of your liking.

Engine #2 dying was clearly a bad mechanic issue.

Brand new engine and the timing belt kills it due to improper installation. A component that should be good for 105k shouldn't cause ANY issues <10k. That either a defective part or improper install.

Ringlands have been known to fail also... If your doing a OEM short block and not doing pistions stage two might not be a good option for you

Ringlands are only known to fail if you have a shit tune. Plenty of people, myself included, are running tuned engines over 100k miles with no issues.

Archived