LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Compliments

I was just reminded of this from some posts in a different thread.

There's a few people in the row of townhouses across the street who appear to be savvy enough to do some of their own work on cars. Within a few days of picking up my car, as I was pulling into my driveway and getting out, one of these guys commented about how "the Subaru sounds pretty throaty" and how he didn't notice that before. I wasn't really expecting a neighbor to mention how well my car sounds, instead of how loud it is. It was pretty cool, and we chatted for a minute or two.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my GT back from the airbag recall and the tech who serviced it ran out to catch me before I left. Started chatting me up about the GT. I was surprised he knew how rare the 5th gen GTs are. Told me that when he was pulling it into the bay to get work done on it, some of the other techs said "wtf is that??" They popped the hood and were confused that there wasn't a turbo visible :lol: Then the tech who worked on my car threw it up on the lift apparently to show the other guys where the turbo went. He then went on about how clean my car was and that some of the other techs snapped some pics.

Got my GT back from the airbag recall and the tech who serviced it ran out to catch me before I left. Started chatting me up about the GT. I was surprised he knew how rare the 5th gen GTs are. Told me that when he was pulling it into the bay to get work done on it, some of the other techs said "wtf is that??" They popped the hood and were confused that there wasn't a turbo visible :lol: Then the tech who worked on my car threw it up on the lift apparently to show the other guys where the turbo went. He then went on about how clean my car was and that some of the other techs snapped some pics.

all that would do for me is make sure i set the AP to valet mode with every visit.

Got my emissions done today (passed) and the guy administering the test said "Hey nice car man." :)

He also then proceeded to ask if I got it from Japan lol. Likely due to my emblem and a number of Japanese stickers I have on it. Made me laugh either way. :lol:

• 3 months later...
Not in the GT, but today on the highway on the way to work at 70mph I passed an '08-ish silver Volvo XC60 on my right. He sped up to match my speed, moved over and hung out behind me for a little while, and then changed lanes to pass me on the left. He went by slowly and I glanced over. It was an older Asian dude and he had a huge smile on his face and gave me and the Fozz an enthusiastic thumbs up.

Two guys in a new dark blue STI with Cobb stickers pulled up next to me at red light last night. The driver was even wearing a Cobb hat, he rolled down the window and said "Is that a Legacy GT? Iv never seen one from that generation, nice." Then the light turned green and I totally left him in the dust, lol.

I was at MensWearhouse getting suits for my wedding and one of the sales guys starts screaming, WHOS REX IS OUTSIDE? WHOS GOT THE REX? He comes up to me and says, is that your rex? So I played dumb and was like, no Ive got the legacy... little did I know there was a sixth gen sitting right there. The other legacy took off and he starts asking everyone in the store whos rex it was, I asked him why he cared and found out he had an 06 wrx in the parking lot and had no idea mine was a GT. After a few shared compliments I found out the guy used to own a 4th gen but blew the turbo and thought that the 5th gen was too boaty and went with a used WRX.

After all that he ended up complimenting the car and wishing he went with one, and is also now signing up to be a subaru ambassador. The legacy makes more friends than I thought.

My neighbor thought my Legacy GT was a WRX as well. I stopped to talked to him a few days after it was delivered. He was wondering if the 'WRX' was mine and he really loved it. I told him it was a Legacy GT, he said 'Oh I thought it was a WRX'. He walked around back to the trunk look at my badges and said 'oh I guess it is a Legacy. It's still pretty cool and it looks like a WRX'. At time my GT was parked directly in front of my 5th Gen 2.5i.

• 4 weeks later...
Took my Outback to the dealer to get the transmission checked and right after I parked in the service bay one of the service guys started asking about the grill. He really liked it and wanted to get one for his '05. Then when I spoke to a sales guy about a '18 WRX he said he noticed the grill when I pulled in.

I pulled into the work and parked my car. In the next parking space a co-worker pulled in next to me (60ish year old woman), She looked at my car and said 'is that a WRX?' I was little surprised to hear that coming from her. I told her it was a Legacy GT and it had motor similar to the WRX. She explains, 'Wow that is sharp ,that is the best of both worlds. My husband used to have a WRX. The insurance was so expensive. He want a new STI when he bought his car this year, but I reminded him we were saving for retirement and their was no way he was getting a car with that wing. He end up buying a 2017 Impreza.'

I get compliments almost daily. Just got one today while pumping gas...what kind of car is that Subaru? "Yep." What year is that? "2010." That's a beautiful car man..."Thank you very much." Do you care if I take a video of it? "No, man go for it." Perdy.

20161114_185602_resized.thumb.jpg.5f5db69fa99659c3959b77ebdda70d99.jpg

I topped off my gas tank at Costco on my way to the shop to have my boost controller replaced. The attendant, an older-than-me woman (mid-40's maybe?) immediately jumped the gun by asking if I'd like a premium fill. Most every gas station attendant (which every gas station has as mandated by Oregon law) just assumes everyone wants regular gas.

So, I was pleasantly surprised. After she started the gas pump, I asked her how she knew. Turns out that one of her sons has a BRZ, another son has a STI, and she drives a Crosstrek. Cool. So, we started talking about Subarus, and got some bitching in about Subaru not bringing wagons stateside which she'd really like to have. She also seemed to really take an interest in my Prova rain guards and in particular the shape of the molding... to the point that she actually took notes about them. I have no idea if Prova offers some rain guards for the Crosstrek, but I made sure to tell her they were Japanese and pretty rare around here, but really awesome for our rainy Oregon winters.

That was a pretty cool stop.

Edited by Ellesedil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Driving home - traffic, I'm jamming to music with my windows down - a guy pulls up and says "I love your subi!". "awe thanks" I reply. He gives me the thumbs up and drives away. I realize he is driving a Chevy Sonic LT... started me wondering about his story. Did he have one and had to sell it - if so I felt really bad for him. But regardless, I felt great!

my local subaru mechanic hadn't ever seen a 5th gen GT before. He knew they existed, but there's apparently a very small number in the area so he'd never gotten to work on one. He was pretty stoked about it, so that made me pretty stoked.

• 4 weeks later...

I was out for lunch with some friends today....pulled into the restaurant parking lot and a guy walked up to my car and asked what it was. I told him and he just stared at it for a minute and said "What a sweet car....nice wheels and I love that color"

I must admit it was a glorious sunny day and I had just washed and waxed the car yesterday....made the work worthwhile :)

The only complement I get is nice color or is that factory color (Deep Indigo Pearl).

Most of the complement I get is for my Benz and especially the Acura. I can't even drive my Acura in peace. There is something new everyday with the Acura it's a magnet.

• 1 month later...

Crossed paths with a slammed hotboi RSX this morning on my way to work. He was admittedly driving like a bit of a tool, but I didn't really pay him much mind. He rolled next to me for a bit and I didn't really take notice at first, but eventually looked over and made eye contact with him and he gave me a thumbs up and shouted "Hey I like your car!" out the window. Gave him a nod, a smile, and a "you too!" and we continued on our way.

Nice way to start the morning. :)