LegacyGT.com

Possible to change spark plugs w/o removing or disconnecting battery??

I was just wondering if this is possible. And if anyone knows the easiest spark plug to get to. I had a dealer do the 60k service but they didnt do a couple things I asked them to do, that they said they would. So I want to check and see if they actually put the NGK spark plugs in that I gave them. Thanks if anyone can help.

The dealership told me that they didnt have to disconnect the battery when they changed the spark plugs. So thats why I was wondering. I am not going to check all the plugs, I just want to check one and see what plug is in it.

where in ohio and what dealer did u go to?

I had the 60k done at Halpert Subaru. But I have had problems with both Halpert and Ganley. The only other options I have are Buschur Racing or Slick Motorsports. Atleast thats all I know of. If you have any questions about the dealers feel free to ask.

yea seriously u and i should meet up man. u sound local to me. i will NEVER go to halpurt. EVER. two times i went there to buy a car and was treated like trash. their lot looks like it is a used car lot b/c it has more used crap out front than subarus. their garage looks like billy bob's back door junkyard. i would never let them touch my car.

now ganley, they actually looked good. i went to columbus to buy my car though b/c the dealer was a moron. said i would have to buy the car before he knew what financing i could get. ummm...... no.

i am in mentor/willoughy. right near the lost nation airport. where r u?

Sure you can.

+1.

Definitely not impossible, particularly if you've got small hands and/or were able to attack the problem from alternate angles and/or had more comprehensive tools. The muscle-memory that comes from someone who has done this a number of times may also make it rather less than troublesome, even if they haven't got any of the previous.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Access the plugs through the wheel well.

Huh, interesting I havent heard that one yet. I have never even looked at that option. I did look at the car a little closer yesterday and it seems you could take the plugs out without removing the battery. That one plug by the battery seems it would be very easy to get out if you did take the battery out though.

Thanks everyone for your input, I appreciate it.

+1.

Definitely not impossible, particularly if you've got small hands and/or were able to attack the problem from alternate angles and/or had more comprehensive tools. The muscle-memory that comes from someone who has done this a number of times may also make it rather less than troublesome, even if they haven't got any of the previous.

I have done it twice w/o removing anything!!:)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

So this may be kind of a dumb question, but which cylinder is #4 on these engines? I have a cyl # 4 misfire, twice now, and I am going to have to check that one. Its most likely the hardest one to probably get to.

I got my car back from Ganley.. umm maybe 2 weeks ago now? I cant remember the exact date. But now my cylinder misfire is gone. I guess it hasnt happened again and the computer reset. I did take my car to Halpert to have the coolant system pressure tested and no leaks. So they either didnt fill the system nearly close to enough or I have mysteriously dissapearing coolant. My guess is the dealer left the coolant way low after they supposedly flushed it.

Hmmm... On my old 1998 Outback, I changed the plugs from under the car. It's tight from any angle, but I didn't have to remove anything the way you do if you go from up top. I'm not sure about the new models. I have under 11,000mi on mine, so there's still time before I need to dig in to the plugs. :)

Archived