LegacyGT.com

Scratched windshield from . . . wiper blade?

Wondering if anyone knows how to restore the glass from a scratch without having to replace the whole thing? I seem to have developed a perfectly curved scratch in the glass that mirrors the sweep of the drivers' side wiper blade. Can feel it with my nail.

Is this even a warranty-able item? Car is just over 1yr old . . .

I took it to the dealer on Tuesday and the service manager had a look, took some photos and said he would be in touch. Said that it would probably be classified as "outside influence" as the cause which is accurate - looks like a stone or something may have got caught under the wiper blade and dragged across the windshield. What is galling is that I have had the wipers replaced 4 times because they are so ineffective at cleaning the windshield, always streaking. I hope that this track record might play in my favor . . .

I found this from my Subaru manual with respect to the PDI:

Check each window glass for scratches carefully.

Slight damage may be removed by polishing

with cerium oxide. (Fill a cup half with cerium oxide,

and add warm water to it. Then agitate the content

until it turns to wax. Apply this wax to a soft cloth,

and polish the glass with it.)

My driver's side window was scratched heavily when I rolled it down with bird crap on it. I am not sure how to get a supply of cerium oxide. I would worry about making the problem worse, especially on the windshield.

Wondering if anyone knows how to restore the glass from a scratch without having to replace the whole thing? I seem to have developed a perfectly curved scratch in the glass that mirrors the sweep of the drivers' side wiper blade. Can feel it with my nail.

I think the streaks are coming from the groove caused by the scratch in the windshield.

However, I totally think this can be fixed but maybe not by a beginner. Check the video out. Total windshield scratch repair with grooves and scratches like yours totally removed. Hope this helps out. Maybe you can track this guy down and get some info on how to do it.

Also I dont think you can actually polish glass scratches out by hand. Glass is pretty hard, not like paint.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ0FRiqteb0&hd=1]YouTube - Windshield Scratch Repair + Glass Resurfacing - 1960 Alfa Romeo[/ame]

I think the streaks are coming from the groove caused by the scratch.

However, I totally think this can be fixed but maybe not by a beginner. Check the video out. Total windshield resurfaced with grooves and scratches like yours. Hope this helps out. Maybe you can track this guy down and get some info on how to do it.

Also I dont think you can actually polish glass scratches out by hand. Glass is pretty hard, not like paint.

Thanks for the video link - I went to their site and they are located in SoCal and I will be going down there in the next month so will get them to look at it. Not heard back from the dealer yet but they were contacting SOA about it so no real surprises there

My windshield has also developed a thin scratch about 1.5 inches long. I thought it was just dirt at first. I changed the wiper blades but it still seems to slowly grow.

This is my second windshield after the first was hit by a rock from the back of a long flatbed truck.:mad:

Archived