LegacyGT.com

What cars can beat the stock Legacy GT

sawyer1370

Ok, I know for the 5 speed, the 0-60 time is 5.8. I know the Infiniti g35 is about 6.3, Audi A4's (depending on models) are mid 6's, about the same for the BMW 3 series (330i). So comparing stock sedans, which ones are actually faster than the GT? And what about the typical ricer cars (honda civic/prelude, toyota celica, mits eclipse, etc.)

I just wanted to have an idea of who's who when driving. Not that I'm looking to race, but it is just nice to know who you can take and who you can't.

Ok, I know for the 5 speed, the 0-60 time is 5.8. I know the Infiniti g35 is about 6.3, Audi A4's (depending on models) are mid 6's, about the same for the BMW 3 series (330i). So comparing stock sedans, which ones are actually faster than the GT? And what about the typical ricer cars (honda civic/prelude, toyota celica, mits eclipse, etc.)

I just wanted to have an idea of who's who when driving. Not that I'm looking to race, but it is just nice to know who you can take and who you can't.

/on smart aleck remark

Only the stock LGT can be the stock LGT.

/off smart aleck remark

The answer? It depends. It looks like you're talking about 0-60 times, and the LGT has the AWD advantage in the short run. If we're talking the 1/4 mile or from a roll, then I think the 330 and the G35 (especially the new one's with 295 HP) will take the LGT. Also be weary of STIs and SRT4s in a roll.

Personally, I don't look for races. I know my stick driving is on the lower end of the spectrum, so my launches are iffy at best. I could easily lose to a well driven 2nd gen Eclipse GSX because I bog my launch.

New G35 with manual will be there beside the LGT in the 0-60 sprint. All of the top German sedans obviously, SRT-4, Altima, V series sedans from Cadillac, New 3-series might be close... Umm

All the above will of course beat a LGT from a roll. Anything close to the LGT or within a few tenths to 60 usually traps 4-5 mph faster in the 1/4 than the LGT.

-B

0-60 times don't really tell you who is going to win the race. The Legacy may beat a car from 0-60, but what will the speed be at the end of the 1/4 mile? A lot of it is just the gearing of the car. If you only compare the 0-60 times then you won't really get a fair indicator of which car is faster. The 1/4 mile times are better indicators of that. Even then I think a lot of it is the driver. A driver can get a 25 second 1/4 mile time in a Porsche GT if they suck bad enough. The potential of the car is only released when a good driver is behind the wheel. Who you can take and who I can take may be two totally different things. If you are a good driver then you should be able to give any other 4 banger on the road a run for its money.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

0-60 times don't really tell you who is going to win the race. The Legacy may beat a car from 0-60, but what will the speed be at the end of the 1/4 mile? A lot of it is just the gearing of the car. If you only compare the 0-60 times then you won't really get a fair indicator of which car is faster. The 1/4 mile times are better indicators of that. Even then I think a lot of it is the driver. A driver can get a 25 second 1/4 mile time in a Porsche GT if they suck bad enough. The potential of the car is only released when a good driver is behind the wheel. Who you can take and who I can take may be two totally different things. If you are a good driver then you should be able to give any other 4 banger on the road a run for its money.

"A driver can get a 25 second 1/4 mile time in a Porsche GT if they suck bad enough."

Yep, that's me. :D

But if you aren't looking to race, why does it matter? Pardon my seeming like I'm not playing along, but street racing is bad in every iteration. The Legacy GT is an excellent car that is plenty fast enough to get you into trouble without any other cars being used as measuring sticks.

Besides, it's an impossible to answer question. A G35 will be as fast, but a G35 with mods, say a turbo kit, will hand a Legacy GT its lunch. Which is why it doesn't matter. If you like the car, buy it. If you're looking for the fastest thing on the road, I might suggest saving up for a Carrera GT or some other rocketship.

Cheers,

Kevin

I'm 35, married with 2 kids, so racing isn't even on my mind. It's more of an ego thing (mine's faster than your's is!!!). I love the car, and I am looking for lgt in regal blue with the taupe interior. Fit and finish inside is as nice as any BMW, Infiniti or Acura, for much less! Plus the car is fast, handles well, is ranked will in crash tests, is from a reliable car company, and just looks really sharp. Plus there aren't tons of them like all the other cars, at least not here in Phoenix.

I was just curios is all. I was thinking about a pre-owned Lexus IS300, but I like the Legacy as much, and I can get a new one for the same price as a used Lexus.

Thanks for the input.

I'm 35, married with 2 kids, so racing isn't even on my mind. It's more of an ego thing (mine's faster than your's is!!!). I love the car, and I am looking for lgt in regal blue with the taupe interior. Fit and finish inside is as nice as any BMW, Infiniti or Acura, for much less! Plus the car is fast, handles well, is ranked will in crash tests, is from a reliable car company, and just looks really sharp. Plus there aren't tons of them like all the other cars, at least not here in Phoenix.

I was just curios is all. I was thinking about a pre-owned Lexus IS300, but I like the Legacy as much, and I can get a new one for the same price as a used Lexus.

Thanks for the input.

I really couldn't stand the IS300 cluster that they try to make look like a sports watch. Plus the car is overpriced for what you get, especially since the engine isn't a monster or anything.

Hey dude if you don't already have a dealer you're working with, I would recommend Pitre Subaru. They made the experience pretty painless. If you talk to Ray Bentley (Fleet Manager), he'll get you a reasonable (note: right around invoice or better, they won't do $1000 below invoice like Irvine Subaru was doing earlier). You may also want to wait until June/July since that's when we expect the '06 to be coming out.

If you do go to Ray, tell him Akash sent you.

Well a while back I was toying with the idea of the STI, but it's a bit too small, which is what lead me to the Legacy. I have some more test driving to do, but for the money, I'm not expecting to find anything that will be able to give me what the legacy can give me.

That clip was great from "Top Gear" I wish they would do more stuff like that. Putting one car against another to see which is really faster. Amazing that the evo with a few modes could perform they way it did. But then again, there are some other cars with a few modes, perform so much better.

But I'm not going to race the car, so it doesn't matter. I just want a comfortable car that can move, and is fun to drive. And I'm pretty sure I know which car that is, the regal blue lgt.

Well a while back I was toying with the idea of the STI, but it's a bit too small, which is what lead me to the Legacy. I have some more test driving to do, but for the money, I'm not expecting to find anything that will be able to give me what the legacy can give me.

That clip was great from "Top Gear" I wish they would do more stuff like that. Putting one car against another to see which is really faster. Amazing that the evo with a few modes could perform they way it did. But then again, there are some other cars with a few modes, perform so much better.

But I'm not going to race the car, so it doesn't matter. I just want a comfortable car that can move, and is fun to drive. And I'm pretty sure I know which car that is, the regal blue lgt.

evos are very fast cars if modded correctly. my friend bought one early last year and had some extra cash laying around because he didnt put a full down payment on it since they gave him a great trade in. anyway, to make a long story short, with like 4k$ in mods, its roughing up a lot of hot rod cars on the track.

after helping tune his Evo and another friend has a STI that was tuned somewhere out-state, i was interested in buying one of those two. i test drove the STI, didnt like the ride too much, and it was all go, no real nice inside in my eyes. Evo was better handling and better ride, but still something i didnt want to purchase, thats when i read about the LGT. i went to the nearest subaru dealer again, test drove one, and so far it is one of the best cars i drove. i ended up buying. the LGT is something that has speed, but has the luxury at a pretty affordable price, something i would reccomend to anyone buying a new car.

Go to modernracer.com (new car archive tab) to get tons of performance figures on newer cars. They look to have compiled them from other accurate sources like Motor Trend, etc.

That's the type of list I was looking for. Here are the results on cars that can either come close, or can beat the gt on 0-60 and 1/4 mile times:

Subaru GT 5.7 sec 14.3 sec

Acura 5.9 sec 14.5 sec

Audi S4 5.6 sec 14.5 sec

'06 Mustang 5.1 sec 13.9 sec

Infiniti G35 5.9 sec 14.2 sec

Honda S2000 5.5 sec 14.2 sec

Nissan 350z 5.4 sec 14.1 sec

Altima 3.5se 5.9 sec 14.6 sec

Pontica GTO 4.9 sec 13.5 sec

VW R32 5.9 sec 14.6 sec

Volvo S60r 5.4 sec 14.0 sec

Notice the cars that are not present. That's right no BMW goes below 6.0 from 0-60 (except the M3). No Mercedes, no Saab (well the rebranded wrx wagon).

So it's safe to say that a stock Legacy GT is right there with most of the faster production cars going. Now only the Altima and the Mustang are in the same price point as the Legacy GT. Add in the all wheel drive, reliability and the fact that not many people even know about this car, and you have a great buy on your hands for around $25k! Forget about the few inexpensive mods that could be done to get the improved performance and speed!

The list is innacurate then, the 330Ci with 6MT or 330iZHP goes to 60 in easily under six. If you are comparing quarter mile times and acceleration you are forgetting the SRT-4 which although has a spoiler that resembles the symbol for mcdonalds express is still fast.

I thought the 330 series was pretty fast too, but here is what that web site has listed for those cars. I think what throws things off is that those numbers don't include the performance package, which mods the engine performance and gear ratios. That increase the horse power and speed.

2005 Legacy GT

Top speed : 136 mph(electronically limited)

0-60 mph : 5.7 sec.

0-¼ mile : 14.3 sec @ 96.9 mph

60-0 braking distance : 130 ft

200 ft skidpad : 0.84 g

2005 BMW 330CI stats as per modernracer.com

Top speed : 128 mph(electronically limited)

0-60 mph : 6.1 sec.(coupe, manual), 6.8 sec.(coupe, auto)

0-¼ mile : 14.8 sec @ 95.0 mph(manual)

60-0 braking distance : 125 ft

200 ft skidpad : 0.86 g

2006 BMW330i

Top speed : 130 mph(electronically limited)

0-60 mph : 6.0 sec.(manual)

0-¼ mile : 14.7 sec @ 96.0 mph(estimated)

60-0 braking distance : 120 ft(estimated)

200 ft skidpad : 0.89 g(estimated)

2005 BMW330i

Top speed : 128 mph(electronically limited)

0-60 mph : 5.8 sec.(manual Perf. pack), 6.2 sec.(manual), 7.0 sec.(auto)

0-¼ mile : 14.8 sec. @ 95.0 mph(manual)

60-0 braking distance : 124 ft

200 ft skidpad : 0.86 g(standard), 0.90 g(Sport)

I double check a few sources (bmw.com and car and driver) and those numbers are pretty accurate. So I did miss the '05 330i. I have test driven both. I love the BMW, but just don't see the justification for the price. I couldn't find a 330 with the few things I wanted for under $38k. Still, for a list price of over $35k, that is ok. I still think the Legacy is a better buy given all you get. But that's just my opinion. For say $2,500 worth of mods (tires/wheels, stage2) you would have a car that would be close to being under 5.0 for 0-60 and 14.0 in the 1/4 mile.

I'm not looking for a car to race, but I would like a car that has some of the best performance and reliabilty I can get for a reasonable price. The LGT was a great find, and hopefully I'll be purchasing one soon.

Guest turboman

I've been pulled from a stoplight by a Grandma in a minivan. Because of "odor" considerations, I have to start to engage the stinkin' clutch at under 1500rpm, and Grandma just tromps on her automatic and she's halfway across the intersection before I start pulling up alongside and passing.

Honda minivans are especially fast.

...ain't life wonderful?:mad:

I thought the 330 series was pretty fast too, but here is what that web site has listed for those cars. I think what throws things off is that those numbers don't include the performance package, which mods the engine performance and gear ratios. That increase the horse power and speed.

<snipped for brevity>

I double check a few sources (bmw.com and car and driver) and those numbers are pretty accurate. So I did miss the '05 330i. I have test driven both. I love the BMW, but just don't see the justification for the price. I couldn't find a 330 with the few things I wanted for under $38k. Still, for a list price of over $35k, that is ok. I still think the Legacy is a better buy given all you get. But that's just my opinion. For say $2,500 worth of mods (tires/wheels, stage2) you would have a car that would be close to being under 5.0 for 0-60 and 14.0 in the 1/4 mile.

I'm not looking for a car to race, but I would like a car that has some of the best performance and reliabilty I can get for a reasonable price. The LGT was a great find, and hopefully I'll be purchasing one soon.

When I bought my last car, I test drove the BMW 330i ZHP (Performance Package), the 330ix (all wheel drive), and the Volvo S60 R. I drove all three cars back to back to back on the exact same route, which included an unlimited speed section of Autobahn and a hilly, curvy secondary road.

The 330ix was a relative slug. The ZHP was OK, but after driving the Volvo I wasn't willing to give up the security of AWD. The Volvo outperformed both BMWs while also offering a much nicer interior (ZHP has fake suede) and much, much better audio system. Plus, it was less expensive.

After a year of ownership, during which I made may trips to the Volvo dealership, I was fairly disappointed with the car. I find myself wishing I'd gone with the 330ix, especially since we moved from Germany and no longer need max performance.

• 2 weeks later...

Take your lgt to the track so you can get an 1/8 mile time and mph, you can use that to calculate and actual 0-60 time. That is the only fair way to compare cars 0-60 performance, as manufacturer stats cant be trusted either way, some are overrated, some are underrated.

My truck was rated for 6.8 0-60, but my acutal measured is more like 6.2 on a shitty launch and 6.0 on a nice launch. You have to take the car to the track and do it. plain and simple. BTW .2 of a second can be all reaction time so its gonna depend a whole lot on the driver if the car is rated for the same second bracket in the 1/4. Splitting hairs between the g35 and whatnot means nothing on paper.

Btw what kind of 60 foot times can manual and auto lgts turn? I would they would be be high 1.x's

• 2 weeks later...

Archived