LegacyGT.com

Worth my time to do spark plugs?

Hey guys, I really want to do my spark plugs, but at the same time I feel it will make no change therefore I am being lazy. Just curious, those with over 60k miles who did plugs did you find any difference in performance? Maybe you guys will give me some incentive to do the plugs asap! :lol:

Hey guys, I really want to do my spark plugs, but at the same time I feel it will make no change therefore I am being lazy. Just curious, those with over 60k miles who did plugs did you find any difference in performance? Maybe you guys will give me some incentive to do the plugs asap! :lol:

Get off thy lazy arse. A smoother idle and better gas mileage await you.

Have fun with the air pump on the driver's side...

Oh Ya! ericem... thats two 1 1/4 hose clamps and a 10mm bolt. The clamps are easy to pinch open with pliers. The front of the body comes off the back of the pump after removing (uncliping) a large wire harness from it's mount near the oil fill pipe. Anti-sieze on the plug threads... We'll be thinking of you...

Seriously though... it's not so bad.

If you do your plugs on schedule and in advance of problems showing up, you should notice little, if any, difference in performance. That's the idea behind preventative maintenance - keep stuff running like it should.

I did my plugs at 60k miles and was pleased to see very little wear. And I was also happy to know that I'm good for the next 60k. That air pump is a bit of a pain. Frankly, doing plugs on these cars is a general pain. I'm glad it's only every 60k and that there's only four cylinders.

Doing the plugs was a very intimate process on this car. We grew closer as a result. :wub:

Eville Rich

2007 LGT

You should wait 60k more to change them, then you will feel a difference.

I felt the same way you did, but I've only had my car for less 10k, (100k on it), Didn't trust the PO had done the plugs so I did them myself. Found out the PO did do them, but put the 2.5i plugs in, which are a good 1/2in shorter (combustion side) then the correct plugs. Put the new ones in, idles smoother and according to my ecu i'm getting 3 more mpg's. Now my clutch is slipping..

I lied tomorrow I have work :( Maybe Sunday or Monday? So eager to do them non the less now. I noticed that air pump near the coils ugghh does it actually have to come out? Either way not a big deal. On a 07 I still need to tilt the motor a bit too right?

Based on the pics, I think the spark plugs look pretty decent and don't indicate a problem. If you are concerned about a lean burn, I recommend doing some actual monitoring of the conditions (AFR, etc). I think the appearance of spark plugs are only reasonable as a confirmation of diagnosis if you already have a good indicator of a problem. I don't think they are good as a primary diagnosis tool.

Eville Rich

Archived