LegacyGT.com

Endless SS-M Brake Pad review!

Xenonk

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/xenonk2828/GT-Car/IMG_0008.jpg

With over 200 miles on them and 2 autocrosses already, and these are very dust free! Similar pad is also the SS-S and SS-Y (difference between the three are based on initial coeff. of friction vs. heat capacity). The SS-M has the highest heat capacity (990F) out of the three SS series (SS-Y is the least, which SS-S has the highest coeff. of friction range). The pedal feel and modulation is excellent and a heck of a lot more responsive than stock by FAR. The pads themselves do not need a bedding process actually as Endless recommends a warming approach instead and keeping the braking to light pressure for the first 25 miles.

I ran the pads without anti-squeal backing plates (to show off the blue :p ) and the pads are super quiet. These pads are definitely quiet and are bevel-cut just like the stock pads to keep the water and gases from getting traps and "hydroplane" off the stock rotors.

Excellent pad and definitely would like a set of SS-Ss as well in the future. I have ran with Carbotech Bobcats, and I would have to say, the SS-S would have the slight lesser bite, but the LARGER heat range than the Bobcats, making the SS-S better for longer drives.. I would say that the SS-S/SS-M create less brake dust than the Bobcats. Both the Bobcats and SS-S are worth getting, but for the heat capacity and possibly the longer life span, the SS-S and SS-M is the better buy for this reason.

For more information, you can go here: http://www.endlessusa.com

For purchase your set of brake pads: http://www.racecompengineering.com

Please dont think this is a biased review just because I am sponsored. I dont put things on my car that doesnt work for my needs from autocrossing to track days to even daily driving. I am just like any other owner and I am looking out for you guys (remember, I was once sponsorless just like most of you). My race team still use Hawk, Carbotech, and Pagid pads for our various cars.

Keefe

Keefe

• 6 months later...

Dredging up an old thread... :)

Keefe,

Have you tried out the SS-S pads yet? I am still trying to figure out whether I want the S or M pads.

I probably don't need the extra 50 degrees, but the modulation dusting, and noise characteristics you document on the M sound pretty good

Ted

:spin:

Nope, should I try the SS-S? I still have 10,000 mile more to go with the SS-Ms.. I have logged in about 15,000 miles with them (with 500 track miles and about 20 ~ 25 autox miles on them). I track my car with the SS-Ms and they do way better than the Bobcats would (since the Bobcats are more like the SS-S temp range). I love the Ms a lot.. there's like absolutely not dusting and no noise.. you might get a slight squeak going in reverse in the morning, but that's it.

SS-M is my choice out of the SS line.

Keefe

SS-M is my choice out of the SS line.
But you haven't tried the SS-S pads yet! :lol:

Just kidding.

I will probably be doing this in the spring anyway, so I can wait. (Hopefully you will have a comparison by then) I am thinking either the SS-Ms, or SS-Ss, lines, Motul, and the 2-piece iON rotors...

Ted

:spin:

I opted for the heat capacity over the initial bite. That's my take.. for those who are autocrossing more than track events, SS-S is the better choice.

It's very possible that I will be going to a two-pad setup (one for street/autox, and one for the track) for nexy year.

Keefe

I opted for the heat capacity over the initial bite. That's my take.. for those who are autocrossing more than track events, SS-S is the better choice.

It's very possible that I will be going to a two-pad setup (one for street/autox, and one for the track) for nexy year.

What if you want just a kickass pad for aggressive daily driving? Which? And are SS line really worth it on a daily driver?

Thanks! :D

it takes only 5 mins to install per corner..

take off wheel, take off bolt that holds the brake caliper, swing the caliper up, take out brake pads, push pistons back into the caliper, put in new brake pads, put bolt back in, install wheel.. repeat

and yes, my car sees a lot of dirt and stuff.. I drive about 30,000+ miles a year.. so you can imagine my car getting dirty within 2 days of driving.

Keefe

• 2 weeks later...
either is fine, I am getting another set of SS-Ms.. my first set of SS-Ms actually lasted 20,000 miles with a few track days, a full season and a half of autoxing. I ran it down to 1mm worth of pad material. The rears are only 1/2 done.
Keefe

either is fine, I am getting another set of SS-Ms.. my first set of SS-Ms actually lasted 20,000 miles with a few track days, a full season and a half of autoxing. I ran it down to 1mm worth of pad material. The rears are only 1/2 done.

got a quote for both the -S and-M. Ouch! What about the SS-Y? Seems they would be an upgrade over stock too. Not sure about thier dusting though. Maybe the other two are overkill for my needs?

got a quote for both the -S and-M. Ouch! What about the SS-Y? Seems they would be an upgrade over stock too. Not sure about thier dusting though. Maybe the other two are overkill for my needs?

Vitas, SS-Y and SS-S are all very good use for the street and it's a DEFINITE upgrade over the stock pads by far. I would say the SS-S and SS-Y are well comparative to the Carbotech Bobcats without the dusting and noise issues that I am aware of. I dished out for the SS-Ms because of its awesome characteristics of no dusting whatsoever. And the durability is AMAZING. I use to burn through a full set Bobcats every 10,000 miles. My first set of SS-Ms have lasted me 25,000+ miles along with a few track days (total of 600+ miles) and a FULL season and a half worth of autocrossing.. the rears of the SS-Ms are only half worn. So for the extra money you pay for the SS-Ms will come with way better wear and superior (and even mysterious) of no-dust ability. I havent tried the SS-Y or SS-S due to the rated "dusting" of 7 vs. 10 for SS-M.

As for mix and matching of the front and rear, that is doable since the rear doesnt get used up as much and the bite isnt as noticeable anyways since your front brakes do a lot of the work to slow those rotors down. The rears on the GT are vented, so it's very unlikely that they would even heat up. I dont see the point in using the NA-D pads in the rear of the GT because Subarus in stock form use an e-brake drum setup, unlike other cars that use the caliper e-brake setup. There's not much of a pro or con to mix and matching the brake pads so long as they are fairly the similar range of temperature use.

I will post up my pics of my used set of SS-Ms soon and show you the kind of abuse I put my brake pads through..

Keefe

I dont do much track events either, it's knowing that these pads can go up in that high high temperature range. It's light tracking.. I am sure that some people here on the boards that never been on the track before still drive well over 90+ mph on the highways and hit the off-ramps really hard with the braking. And for the spirited driving, it can handle the endurance (as it survived the runs at http://www.tailofthedragon.com ). With the bobcats, I glazed the bobcats at the Dragon and boiled the fluid on the WRX (car was 300 lbs lighter).

It's worth the extra money for the following notes:

-extremely low dusting

-very quiet pads

-high temperature range

-solid bite

-high endurance

Keefe

Looking for a suggestion on pads for my LGT on street driving. I am not changing calipers, may put on better rotors in the future. This weekend putting in SS lines and better fluid.

I was about to order the Bobcats but not sure now. Here is what I want out of a pad:

Good aggressive pedal feel

Good initial bite (adequate bite in the winter, from Canada)

No tracking, but many times very aggressive on the brakes.

ie: 120mph hard braking to 70mph

very hard braking entering a freeway on-ramp

repeated moderate to hard braking from 60 mph

it is OK if they dust a bit

it is OK if you can hear them a bit with the windows down, but not up

either is fine then.. both are in the range of 32F to 750F (and up).. driving 120mph and slowing down to 70mph is deemed as light track-driving (that's the common speeds you will see on the track anyways). The difference in actual track driving and what I call "light track driving" is how often you repeat this process in a 20 min drive. If you are doing that kind braking into an off-ramp, you might want to look for an endurance pad because I ate up a set of bobcats on my WRX like that in less than 10,000 miles of driving. The SS-S should have a longer life on the pads, but not by much, maybe another 2,000 miles? If you plan to drive like that, you should check your brake pads at every oil change to see how much pads you have.
Keefe

Thanks for the info, I think I will go with the Bobcats because they will likely work at lower temps (what magnetic1 says). I do watch my pads very often.

You might want to look into the Endless Vita Nuovas as they are better for your case in the cold temps of 0F to 570F. Although I dont think you will be driving that fast in the snow from 120 mph down to 70 mph unless you are some kind of professional rally driver that I am not aware of.

Keefe

How would you rate Axxis Ultimate Pads? I had some on my Integra and I thought they were a real improvement over stock. Light dusting and not expensive.

Subydude has them for the '05 GT. $45 for the rear...fronts aren't listed and they are out of stock...but anyway...

http://subydude.com/osc/product_info.php?cPath=220_86_100&products_id=314&osCsid=179523d348a4aa0e23dfde069f4f6b86

Given the price difference I'd expect Endless to be just amazing. Keefe if you'd rate the SS-M at say a 10...what would you rate the Axxis pads?

Archived