LegacyGT.com

Fuse for AWD?

Thanks for the info.

I wonder how many get towed without disabling the fuse. Probably more than we care to consider.

Every Subaru that is automatic (only) does it have the FWD fuse. The purpose for this fuse is if u need to tow the vehicle or have a blown tire. The whole point is if oh have to do either of these it'll prevent u blowing ur trans or rear diff

It's not so much for towing with 2 wheels on the ground---that's still a bad idea. . . it's more for running a spare that's not the same size as the other 3 for a short period of time if needed.

Running in FWD mode will not save you any in fuel economy as you're still spinning all those shafts & bearings & gears from the extension housing all the way back to each wheel. If you could find a way to make lockout hubs for the rear wheels you might save a bit, but that's a very long way to go to gain 2-3 mpg.

I'm getting ready to tow an outback with the 5 MT so are you guys saying I can't tow it with the rear wheels on the ground even in neutral?

You can only if you drop the driveline going to the rear diff.

I'm getting ready to tow an outback with the 5 MT so are you guys saying I can't tow it with the rear wheels on the ground even in neutral?

Not if you want to have a functional transmission when you get where you're going.

As zeus and others have said, disconnect the driveshaft from the rear diff. 4 bolts/nuts, and the bolts are captive. All you need is a 12mm wrench, although it helps to have someone to set/release the parking brake to hold the driveshaft while you're breaking the nuts loose. That is, assuming you can't be bothered to crawl out from under the car and do it yourself, or just bring a prybar or something to stick in the U-joint and hold it.

or just bring a prybar or something to stick in the U-joint and hold it.

i have a 20" long flat head screw driver i use for that. makes it much easier. some of the smaller vehicles are almost too small to get it inside the U joint, but it hasnt left me hanging yet.

So you move the car with all the wheels on the ground in neutral it's OK. I can see the issue now you can actually pull the car I'm assuming without damage. Thanks for the clarification I'm going to have to check PO of the car I bought how he got it to the location it's currently at. If he's honest with me I only put a deposit on the car if he got it to its current location on a tow dolly I might have a problem. Thanks to everyone who commented and I apologize for hijacking the thread.

Archived