LegacyGT.com

Protecting CV Boot From Heat

matthimself456

I am just about to replace the famous split Passenger inner CV boot. Mine was damaged by heat even with stock UP/DP and all shields in place. It has me considering trying to fix the problem with a more permanent solution. Some VW's and FWD GM cars have sheetmetal heat shields around the CV boots but I don't see that being an easy fix.

I am wondering why I can't use silica/mylar fabric to make a flexible boot to go over the rubber CV boot. A similar material to what fire suits are made of. It seems like this would be able to reflect a lot of the radiant heat coming off the exhaust while being flexible enough to allow the CV joint to articulate.

Maybe even something like this: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Thermo-Tec-16000-Fire-Proof-Shifter-Boot,51155.html could be attached over the rubber boot.

Thoughts? Should I just try it?

Yes it is fire resistant but it is the reflective mylar surface that reflects radiant heat. It is the same material that thermo-tec uses for their heat-barrier products.

Wrapping the exhaust is a good idea too. It creates some corrosion concerns, especially where the wrap will be soaked with salt water frequently. Plus I have seen members here and on nasioc report heat damaged boots even with wrapped exhausts.

Archived